Never knew what I was missing.

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

billsfan60

Never knew what I was missing.

#1 Post by billsfan60 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 am

After decades of sailing sloop rig boats from Lake Ontario, to the Gulf (with one totally forgettable season on the Alabama River), and finally here on Weiss Lake in north east Alabama, my wife Bonnie convinced me to give pontoon boats a try. We acquired a newly redone 88 Harris 24 ft and it's been a pleasant surprise right from the start. I realize now that I never truly relaxed on a sailboat (anybody that says different is lying).

We're having fun learning about the Harris and I'm sure as time goes on there will be things we will need guidance with. For now we're just glad ya'll are here for moral support if I do something stupid.

ROLAND

Re: Never knew what I was missing.

#2 Post by ROLAND » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 pm

glad your enjoying your pontoon experience. Never owned a boat in my life til 9 years ago.. bought a pontoon and have said since day 1 " wish I had done this ten years ago"...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

zoom650

#3 Post by zoom650 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 am

I sailed (and club raced) a fractionally rigged sloop and it was never as relaxed as it looked. Much, much different with a slow cruise on a toon!
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

smltooner

#4 Post by smltooner » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Welcome to the club.
We know you will enjoy the 'tooning lifestyle.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

steve1313

#5 Post by steve1313 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:52 am

Last weekend, I took one of my closest friends and his teenage son out on my Pontoon for the first time. They have been boating with me a few times before on my Sea Ray bowrider, but seemed to turn down more invitations to go to the lake than they accepted.

It was a typical weekend afternoon, with tons of other boats including wake boats, bow riders, pontoons, and squadrons of Waverunners buzzing around like bees. We spent the day cruising, floating, tubing and just hanging out.

As we pulled back into my slip, my buddy said to me "we love your new boat. It's really a game changer. We did everything we used to do on your old boat. It's got a ton more room, it rides a lot better, especially when the lake is so rough. It even seemed quieter." HIs son commented that the tubing was great and it he thought my pontoon boat turns sharper than my bow rider.

Their comments made me realize just how much more I was enjoying my pontoon, especially when the lake is busy. I was reluctant to buy a toon because I didn't want to be that old man chugging across the lake. But with three pontoons, enough HP to run about 40MPH, the potential to throw people out of their seats (or out of their tube) with a sharp turn, the tons of room, the great stereo, and just the overall comfort factor, I know I made a great decision.

Welcome to the club!
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

TWB

#6 Post by TWB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:15 am

Totally have to agree with steve1313. We had a SeaDoo 150 Speedster jet boat, but it's made for 2 things: to go really fast, and to go faster. It's a lot of fun, but the chop in the Santa Rosa Sound can be pretty stout and a small-hull boat will roll around a good bit when trying to have a sandwich. I always knew I wanted a toon, but didn't know just how luxurious even my 2003 Landau could feel.

Man! Can't get enough. Enjoy!

:biggrin2
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

Coldbrew

#7 Post by Coldbrew » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:28 am

Every time I take someone new out on my boat I hear the same line: "Oh My God....this is so great!" :nana
2014 Premier Gemini 201
Tow Vehicle: 2019 F-150
Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

wwind3

#8 Post by wwind3 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 am

What everyone is saying! I did the bass tournament stuff with the go fast boats but I really enjoy the pontoon. I have the fishing model with the 4 seats and I really like it. Enjoy!
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS