Buying the right size pontoon

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

Re: Buying the right size pontoon

#16 Post by ROLAND » Wed May 06, 2015 1:49 am

justrfb wrote:Hi All.
We have a 20' Princecraft with a 75 4 stroke Merc hanging off the back and we love it. We cruise Lake George (BIG lake in upstate New York...)every year with a full boat (8 people. it is tight though...) and it does well. I think it is the perfect size... Big enough to handle the "big" lakes and a lot of people but small enough to maneuver, dock and trailer with ease... This is our first boat and we were limited some what by our tow vehicle. Couldn't buy the used boat AND a new tow vehicle... We pull tubes all day long and with a light load, pull a skier! Roland, you are getting 24MPH! That is good. I am getting 21.8 MPH (best) with 11" pitched 3 bladed aluminum "BlackMax" Mercury prop. Can I ask what prop you have on? Thanks. Good luck Gsarge.

Sincerely,
Rich
Rich... 24 mph was what i got the last time i checked with gps... that was a couple of years ago... wouldn't be surprised if it was down a mile or two now... as far as the prop, not sure of the pitch... but I know it's a 3 blade aluminum.. I think yamaha.. but I'll have to check the next time I go take the boat out.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

gsarge

Re: Buying the right size pontoon

#17 Post by gsarge » Thu May 07, 2015 2:17 pm

So I wound up with a 90-horse (!) Yahama on the 20-foot Benny. For details on the agony and ecstasy of this decision-making process, see the (more appropriately selected) General Pontoon & Deck Boat Discussion forum under the title "Big fish in a small pond?" Thanks to one and all for your input.