New member here

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

AMP

New member here

#1 Post by AMP » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm new to forums, forgive my ignorance. We are in New Hampshire. The wife, kids and I like to be on the water and through trial and error, we found a pontoon is the most comfortable and relaxing.

We found an 08 fishin' buggy with a 4 stroke mercury 75hp. Soon after we purchased it, we found a few bugs that I'd like to try working out with you guys before leaving it at the marina for, what I'm sure will be a long expensive visit.

The motor will run fine at 4500 rpm or less, throttle up beyond that for a minute to a minute and a half and it will cut out like it is not getting fuel, sometimes it will work through it, sometimes it will stall. No alarms sound. If I throttle down into the area of 1200 it will even out and we can cruise up to 4500 again.

This past Sunday, I got it to run fine at 6600 rpm for 15 minutes straight no problems. this was after 3 hours of low rpm trolling at 1.2 kts. I left that lake thinking the quickleen I put in it did the trick. I met the wife and kids at another lake and we were back to the stalling. I have noticed that the tachometer spikes occasionally without the motor actually raising rpms.

We got the boat from a dealer who said it sat for a year. I dumped the fuel, i did try to run it before dumping the fuel and it seemed fine, changed the fuel filters, added startron with the first 10 gallons of 86 octane. I took it out for a few test runs, then the local marine shop suggested quickleen. I now have 10 gallons of 93 octane with quickleen in it. It has had a couple hiccups while trolling at low rpm.

At this point it is still cutting out, sometimes working throughit, sometimes I have to throttle down until it clears. Any input(other than sell it) would be appreciated.

RcgTexas

Re: New member here

#2 Post by RcgTexas » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Welcome! someone will come along that may have had the same problem. Glad to have you around!
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

smltooner

#3 Post by smltooner » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:14 pm

Welcome to the club.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

Coldbrew

#4 Post by Coldbrew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi AMP.

I don't have a solution to your problem either, but I wanted to welcome you from a fellow New Hampshire-ite. Where do you boat and what dealers have you been dealing with?

:beer2
2014 Premier Gemini 201
Tow Vehicle: 2019 F-150
Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

AMP

#5 Post by AMP » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi Coldbrew,
We hit a few different lakes. Nubanusit, winni and sunapee are the most visited. Once softball and baseball are done, I'm sure the list will lengthen.
I have dealt with Owen marine, learned my lesson there, and am now dealing with granite state in Milford.
Any input you have on a good mercury mechanic would be helpful.
What lakes and pond do you boat in?

AMP

Coldbrew

#6 Post by Coldbrew » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:31 pm

AMP wrote:Hi Coldbrew,
We hit a few different lakes. Nubanusit, winni and sunapee are the most visited. Once softball and baseball are done, I'm sure the list will lengthen.
I have dealt with Owen marine, learned my lesson there, and am now dealing with granite state in Milford.
Any input you have on a good mercury mechanic would be helpful.
What lakes and pond do you boat in?

AMP
I've got a mooring on Newfound Lake so my boat stays there all summer. Even though we've bought all of our boats from Winnisquam Marine we have our service (except warranty work) done at Westshore Marine because it's in Bristol so they're more convenient. You can't go wrong with either of those. Westshore may be a little cheaper.

I'm not familiar with Granite State even though they're not far from my house. I hope they can help you out.

Give me a shout if you're ever on Newfound. I'll give you a tour. :-)
2014 Premier Gemini 201
Tow Vehicle: 2019 F-150
Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

grouser

#7 Post by grouser » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:03 pm

Welcome from the State of Jefferson,,
[color=#FF0040][size=150]Be honest, be honorable, live well,,,,[/size][/color]
2001 Sun Tracker 30' Party Hut
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wurthless/media/bote/a8cbcb38-5a5d-4e72-9107-26ce7c58de0b_zpsjqazemvz.jpg.html][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/wurthless/bote/a8cbcb38-5a5d-4e72-9107-26ce7c58de0b_zpsjqazemvz.jpg[/img][/url]

Ray Jr.

#8 Post by Ray Jr. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Welcome from another fellow NH tooner, We usually toon on Lake Tarleton. Its a nice small lake (315 acres) and on a busy holiday weekend there might be 6 boats, and a dozen canoes/kayaks, and its mostly surrounded by WMNF and conservation land. Sorry I cant help much with the motor issues.
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER

Soonertoon

#9 Post by Soonertoon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Welcome from The Sooner Nation!! To touch on your issue, I had a 2007 4 stroke Merc last year. Boat would run great at low to mid range all day long. However, when you ran close to WOT like in pulling a tube , it would run great for about 10 min and then just QUIT. Wait about 30 minutes and it would start. I replaced filters, new bulb line, thermostat in a process of elimination before I took it in and lost it for the majority of the summer.
Nothing worked out of all that. Last 4 th of July, it stranded me when it wouldn't start after about 45 minutes. Once I got towed back to the marina, I went in and bought anew 22 ft G3 with a 115 Yamaha...on the spot, cash deal. Last time that bastard stranded me I tell you!!! Lol
I later learned that they went thru it and the sending unit flap was jacked up in the tank and was cutting off the fuel flow .....or something like that. That's ok , I wanted a new boat anyway.
I would have that checked if it were me.
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake

AMP

#10 Post by AMP » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:32 am

Thanks sooner toon, I will check that tonight, if it's within my pay grade.

Couple newbe questions.
What is WOT? I thought I would figure it out, but thinking is not my strong suit.
How do I highlight a comment or post, insert into my new post and respond?

Thanks

curtiscapk

#11 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:55 am

AMP wrote:Thanks sooner toon, I will check that tonight, if it's within my pay grade.

Couple newbe questions.
What is WOT? I thought I would figure it out, but thinking is not my strong suit.
How do I highlight a comment or post, insert into my new post and respond?

Thanks

WOT= wide open throttle

Hit the quote button bottom right of the page.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS