Hello! Sharing my dream

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

4thCoastPontoon

Hello! Sharing my dream

#1 Post by 4thCoastPontoon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:05 am

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, and to the "recreational on-the-water" activities, including piloting a boat. I do not own a pontoon yet, but that is my dream to acclomplish for the next couple summers.

First, I want to find an older pontoon and rebuild it myself. Yes, I am very mechanically inclined, and am no stranger to construction work. I prefer a pontoon because I want to anchor in some cove or bay and sleep on the boat overnight, then get up, take a bath in the river, then go cruising for the day. Could even anchor somewhere, or even on a public dock, and read a book and talk to folks walking by.

I've found an older pontoon that I'd like to get, which has a collapsing hardtop canopy for trailoring. I'd like to add a second extended Bimini over the front, and then detachable side curtains all around with screens for the evenings when the Mosquitos start attacking for the couple hours every night.

I've read about under skinning, which seems to improve performance, and I'm assuming would also protect the plywood from water and rot as well. But if I didn't under skin the boat, would I be able to laminate vinyl to both sides of the plywood before installing it? I also want to put snap-in carpeting so I can take them off and clean them, and all pressure wash the deck when needed.

This is something I don't expect to finish in one year, but over the course of two or three years. I just want it water-worthy first, then can continue with seats and such after.

Thanks for letting me share my dream!

oldfisherman

Re: Hello! Sharing my dream

#2 Post by oldfisherman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:41 am

Welcome Have Fun

smltooner

#3 Post by smltooner » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Welcome to the club.
You will be able to get plenty of advice help here.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

grouser

#4 Post by grouser » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Welcome from the State of Jefferson
[color=#FF0040][size=150]Be honest, be honorable, live well,,,,[/size][/color]
2001 Sun Tracker 30' Party Hut
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wurthless/media/bote/a8cbcb38-5a5d-4e72-9107-26ce7c58de0b_zpsjqazemvz.jpg.html][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/wurthless/bote/a8cbcb38-5a5d-4e72-9107-26ce7c58de0b_zpsjqazemvz.jpg[/img][/url]

RcgTexas

#5 Post by RcgTexas » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:40 am

Welcome.

I don't know if sandwiching the plywood would be a good idea. Its a boat and there will be water and trapping it so it can't dry may not be prudent. IMHO

You can do Aluminum deck though. light and wont rot!
I used treated marine grade from pontoon stuff and put vinyl on the deck and underskin to minimize spray.

Good luck and remember to post :pics We love to see progress!
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America