Soon to be newbie in Houston

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

scott_farmer

Soon to be newbie in Houston

#1 Post by scott_farmer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:27 am

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around here for a while trying to soak up all of the knowledge you've provided. The wife and I decided to finally get a boat this year and a visit to the Houston boat show convinced us that a pontoon was the way to go. After months of research, searching, test drives, and more research we have narrowed down our selection. We're looking at at '15 Xcursion 25RF 2.5 from Rinker's Boat World. Searching on the forums here show pretty good reviews for both the Xcursion toons and Rinkers, but I thought I would ask for updates from the members here.

For those of you who have done business with Rinker's in the past, would you still recommend them? If you've used their service department how has the experience been?

For those Xcursion owners out there, how do you like your boat after a bit of time with it? Any major issues? Any regrets? Any minor issues that you wish would just go away?

We will mostly be cruising around the Clear Lake area with occasional trips to Conroe, Livingston and the waters around Austin. We're getting really excited and I can't wait to share pictures of our maiden voyage with the community.

steveiam

Re: Soon to be newbie in Houston

#2 Post by steveiam » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Welcome Scott!
I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?

smltooner

#3 Post by smltooner » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Welcome to the club.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

grouser

#4 Post by grouser » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Welcome from the State of Jefferson
[color=#FF0040][size=150]Be honest, be honorable, live well,,,,[/size][/color]
2001 Sun Tracker 30' Party Hut
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wurthless/media/bote/a8cbcb38-5a5d-4e72-9107-26ce7c58de0b_zpsjqazemvz.jpg.html][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/wurthless/bote/a8cbcb38-5a5d-4e72-9107-26ce7c58de0b_zpsjqazemvz.jpg[/img][/url]

wwind3

#5 Post by wwind3 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:20 am

Welcome from lovely Lake Livingston!! If you come up here----there are a LOT of stumps in the lake. Join 2coolfishing--mostly about L Livingston-----great white bass, striper, and catfish lake. And members have marked stumps on maps to help out. Make sure you run rated horsepower and have the boat underskinned if it isnt already.

Most importantly---Lake livingston is a very dangerous lake---can look like the Gulf when the wind gets up. Your boat should be fine---

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

RcgTexas

#6 Post by RcgTexas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:15 am

Welcome!

No experience with that dealer or boat but I will tell you to shop prices and do no business with the honda dealer in Beaumont Tx .

My advice is to pick up the salesman and throw him..........you can trust him about that far,
Get any promises in writing
Don't leave with your boat if it isn't right in your mind, and take an experienced boat owner friend with you to give you some insight. The new boat "fever" can be blinding.
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

Gonefishing

#7 Post by Gonefishing » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Don't know the dealer but I have had my excursion x24 rfc almost 3 years now and love it. No regrets at all. Love the rear fishing center live bait tank changing room curtain and tackle center.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

robertm

#8 Post by robertm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:40 am

I've got basically the identical boat to the one you like but with the Berkshire brand name. They are for all intents and purposes the same boat, just different badging.

I wouldn't change a thing on our boat. Maybe more power if I could afford it, but that's always the case. Definitely don't just shop Xcursion. The Berkshire RFX is the identical boat.

Not sure how married you are to that dealer. Jerry Whittle up in Dallas sells more Berkshires and Xcursions than anyone in the country. Call and ask for Gary, tell him Robert and Kelley recommended him. At least see what kind of price he can offer you. They sell with 8 yr warranty on there boats (not sure how that would transfer to dealership service down there). They also offer lighting and stereo package that's better than factory but less expensive.

If you want to discuss further offline PM me and I'll give you my email/phone#.

Good luck!
'Miss Kelley'
2015 Berkshire 253 RFX Super Sport
Yamaha F200 LB
14.5" X 15P SS Reliance
2015 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel