Hi all, new here.

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

photonfanatic

Hi all, new here.

#1 Post by photonfanatic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:52 am

Just thought I'd make use of the welcome forum. So hi everyone. Might as well ask a question or two while I'm in here.

I'm looking for a deep cycle battery charger, but I'm looking for the one that is the 'bang for the buck' model. Not looking to pay too awful much, but I would like one that is of reasonable quality. One that doesn't get too hot, charges pretty quickly, and can be mounted in the console of my 2014 Veranda 22' pontoon. Anyone have any recommendations? It will be for charging the trolling motor batteries, which is a 24 volt system. However, the 24v part may not matter, because I was told by the dealer to charge them individually. Which would knock them back down to just 12v each.

So I guess I'm looking for a charger that has 2 sets of wires, a set for charging each battery. I'm going to mount the charger in the console, and then run its wall wire to the back of an inlet plug, that I'm going to install on the outside of the boat. That way, all I have to do is just walk up and plug an extension cord into the boat. Much easier that way.

smltooner

Re: Hi all, new here.

#2 Post by smltooner » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Welcome to the club.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

photonfanatic

#3 Post by photonfanatic » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks!

Gonefishing

#4 Post by Gonefishing » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Check out Basss Pro Shop. They have some and are not real expensive
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

grouser

#5 Post by grouser » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Welcome from the State of Jefferson,,,, just google a two bank battery charger and take your pick
[color=#FF0040][size=150]Be honest, be honorable, live well,,,,[/size][/color]
2001 Sun Tracker 30' Party Hut
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wurthless/media/bote/a8cbcb38-5a5d-4e72-9107-26ce7c58de0b_zpsjqazemvz.jpg.html][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/wurthless/bote/a8cbcb38-5a5d-4e72-9107-26ce7c58de0b_zpsjqazemvz.jpg[/img][/url]

steveiam

#6 Post by steveiam » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:39 am

Welcome!
Where are you from?
Where do you boat usually?
I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?

photonfanatic

#7 Post by photonfanatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:46 am

Thanks, I'm from Cleburne, about 30 miles south of Fort Worth TX. I'll be doing a lot of Lake Whitney, and other local lakes in that area. Perhaps some of the brazos river and other places that feed into lake whitney. But what I'd really like to do, is avoid high usage lakes like Lake Texoma, and Lake Granbury. I'd really like to find some lakes that actually see very seldom usage. Or at least, pretty low usage compared to other lakes.

Anyway so what yall are saying, is that there aren't any preferred brands of chargers, or ones to be avoided?

steveiam

#8 Post by steveiam » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Cant help ya on the chargers--
But cool your are kinda local to me--
Looking forward to seeing pics from Whitney, been wanting to try that lake-
I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?

JBO

#9 Post by JBO » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:49 pm

These get pretty good reviews:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 309718.uts

I have one, but have only had it for 6mo. No issues in that time, however.

These get good reviews as well:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JSO1X2/ref ... _pC_nS_ttl
2017 Lowe SD224 w/ 150HP Mercury

photonfanatic

#10 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:28 am

steveiam wrote:Cant help ya on the chargers--
But cool your are kinda local to me--
Looking forward to seeing pics from Whitney, been wanting to try that lake-

I'll take some and post some up next time I go. Its a fairly large lake, and its kind of nice. Being out in BFE helps the lake some. There are still more people and structures on the lake than I like, but its definitely better than some others. I prefer the more natural setting. You don't get that with apartment complexes lining the banks like Lake Granbury lol

Also thanks for the recommendations, JBO. I'm curious as to why they have 3 banks for charging though. Does that imply that you also need to charge your engine battery? I was under the impression that the alternator would handle that.

KevinMs

#11 Post by KevinMs » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:48 am

Welcome! Concerning on board chargers, I have pretty much the same one JBO has except mine is a two bank. So far no issues, but one improvement I did make was installing a waterproof charging plug in an easy to reach spot as it got tiresome crawling under the boat cover to hook up an extension cord. Best of luck in your search and happy boating.

photonfanatic

#12 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:12 am

Thank you sir. Yes I too will be installing such an inlet plug. Ordered one off amazon, as per a recommendation here.

JBO

#13 Post by JBO » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:55 am

photonfanatic wrote:Also thanks for the recommendations, JBO. I'm curious as to why they have 3 banks for charging though. Does that imply that you also need to charge your engine battery? I was under the impression that the alternator would handle that.
I have a 3bank charger for our boat. 2 trolling motor batteries and 1 starting battery. The starting battery doesn't always get fully charged, especially if you start and stop a lot on the water. Any additional power consumption such as lights/radio/etc will drain the battery further. Boat motors don't top off a battery as well as a car engine would. Topping off all of the batteries on-board is the best solution. If you're going to get an on-board charger, I'd make sure it could top off all batteries.

photonfanatic

#14 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks! Anyone here good at batteries and electricity?

I heard that the slow chargers are better. That it will charge the battery "better". Meaning, that your charge will last longer. So say you charged the same battery, once with a fast charger and once with a slow charger. Some say that slow charger will put more energy in the battery. So its going to go longer before it runs down. Is this true? Just something I've been seeing on youtube and in a few articles. Doesn't seem to me like it would work that way. Seems to me, like a full battery is a full battery. Maybe I've got it wrong, and I've misunderstood what they were saying. Or they have it wrong.

JBO

#15 Post by JBO » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:01 pm

photonfanatic wrote:Thanks! Anyone here good at batteries and electricity?

I heard that the slow chargers are better. That it will charge the battery "better". Meaning, that your charge will last longer. So say you charged the same battery, once with a fast charger and once with a slow charger. Some say that slow charger will put more energy in the battery. So its going to go longer before it runs down. Is this true? Just something I've been seeing on youtube and in a few articles. Doesn't seem to me like it would work that way. Seems to me, like a full battery is a full battery. Maybe I've got it wrong, and I've misunderstood what they were saying. Or they have it wrong.
Just get an on-board charger and you'll be good to go. You want to trickle-charge batteries, like the on-board chargers do. You don't want to try to charge them with a 225amp automotive charger by any means.