Hello from WV

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

diver165

Hello from WV

#1 Post by diver165 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Hello,

I'm going to be a new pontoon owner and looking to explore and learn. I've been around and owned boats my whole life. This will be my first pontoon though. I'm kind of nervous though. I like the "go fast" of my old boats. But times change and spending time with the whole family is more important than the wind in your hair (don't have much now...) of a speed boat.

I'm looking at a 22-24ft Tri-toon with no less than 150hp 4 stroke. All the research I've done that should get me in the upper 30s in mph. I know I'll be towing the grandson on a tube about 50% of the time or more (which I won't mind a bit). Looking at Harris, Bennington and Tracker. I love to tinker, mod, and customize things. It drives SWMBO crazy sometimes but that's ok. We're looking to buy by the end of March or first part of April.

smltooner

Re: Hello from WV

#2 Post by smltooner » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Welcome to the club.
All 3 are good choices, but I'm partial to the Tracker.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

ROLAND

#3 Post by ROLAND » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:32 am

welcome to the club... lots of knowledge on these boards... I'm partial to the Bennington, but you pretty much have selected brands that you can't go wrong with. Good luck and have fun boat shopping.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

MH Hawker

#4 Post by MH Hawker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:22 am

if you haven't settled on a dealer yet give these fokes a call, while i haven't bought a boat from them they have been out standing on parts a and service over the last 7 years

http://thegreatoutdoorsmarine.com/
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

Vikingstaff

#5 Post by Vikingstaff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:40 am

Welcome! I am curious if you moved forward with a purchase, and if so, what you went with? I spent last summer and fall researching and deciding on our first pontoon boat purchase. Based on our search, it sounds like you have it narrowed down to some nice options.

We ended up ordering a Bennington. Like you, we wanted something that can hold a lot of family and/or friends, and can serve as a watersports platform as much as it can a general cruising boat. We ordered in Dec., it was delivered to our dealer in March, and we hope to have it in the water by the end of May at our cottage in N. Michigan.

I look forward to hearing what manufacturer you went with, and would love to hear why. I'm new to boating, and curious on everyone's various thoughts, opinions, etc with pontoons. Sounds like you and the family will have many fun years ahead with the set up you are looking at going with.
Vikingstaff
Houghton Lake, Michigan
Bennington 24' SSBXP