New (to me) Pontoon owner Indiana

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Mister HP

New (to me) Pontoon owner Indiana

#1 Post by Mister HP » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:41 am

Hello

Ive been looking for a low cost pontoon all winter, finally found an insanely cheap deal on a 1977 Harris FloteBote and a couple 77 model Johnson 25 hp long shaft motors. Spent the last couple weeks cleaning, fixing and rebuilding things, now im just about ready to put her in the water. Its definitely not as fancy as some of the boats I see here, but I live on a lake year round, and im looking forward to some summer fun and some good fishing!

Ed

jediger

Re: New (to me) Pontoon owner Indiana

#2 Post by jediger » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:06 am

Congrats! Sounds like you'll get some excellent fun out of it. Full time at the lake is only a dream for me at this point...
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

TWB

#3 Post by TWB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Welcome to the forum, Ed. It ain't gotta be pretty to enjoy the water!
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

Mister HP

#4 Post by Mister HP » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:37 am

Thanks guys! its definitely a great place to live and the pontoon is just icing on the cake!

I had a bass boat last summer, and it was fun but if we had more than 2 people it was pretty awkward

I will get some before and after pics posted, I think you guys will be pretty impressed with the final product especially considering how little I have invested in this project. I also have a secret plan up my sleeve for a power modification that will be the biggest conversation piece on the lake

stay tuned!

Marc K

#5 Post by Marc K » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:39 am

Welcome!

My boat is an ugly old tub and very basic, but I love having it. We are out on the water all year because there are good warm/sunny days here even in November through February. Living on a lake with a boathouse and dock, means getting underway on a whim - hit the button and go.

Moving to a lake front home last year required downsizing and financial trade offs for us. In essence, not spending the money on a nice boat allowed us to move were are are. Now that we've had our old boat for about 18 months, I have dropped my plan to buy a newer boat. When I get the itch, I just go all out Dave Ramsey :biggrin2

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

Mister HP

#6 Post by Mister HP » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 am

Marc K wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:39 am
Welcome!

My boat is an ugly old tub and very basic, but I love having it. We are out on the water all year because there are good warm/sunny days here even in November through February. Living on a lake with a boathouse and dock, means getting underway on a whim - hit the button and go.

Moving to a lake front home last year required downsizing and financial trade offs for us. In essence, not spending the money on a nice boat allowed us to move were are are. Now that we've had our old boat for about 18 months, I have dropped my plan to buy a newer boat. When I get the itch, I just go all out Dave Ramsey :biggrin2

Marc
that's a good point Marc, I looked at brand new 16' fishing pontoons, and I could get a pretty nice bot for about 17k I kept looking around and found my 1977 Harris Flotebote for 300 bucks!!! ive spent about 1000 fixing it up, and now I have a reliable, turn key dependable pontoon with all modern LED lighting and a nice Garmin gps/fishfinder.