Rookie boat buyer...need wisdom

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

catdaddy

Rookie boat buyer...need wisdom

#1 Post by catdaddy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Hey all...
I've been scouring the internet for a forum like this... looks like a great group....

Here's my situation...
Buying my first boat...grew up fishing on a smooth narrow lake in Kentucky on a small underpowered pontoon... had a blast....
didn't ski, etc...but lord it took forever to get anywhere...
Now... fast forward 20 years...
3 kids (small)... a wife...a dog... house on lake with commercial marina within walking distance...
buying my first pontoon... expect to tube, wakeboard eventually, maybe skiing...need cover for kids...
Water can be rough on lake...
So far, I'm settled on a 3-tube pontoon... later model...
some really good deals on new boats that are leftover...
each has advantages it seems... I want a nice boat that will start when I want it to... and withstand the rigors my kids will put it through... and meet our needs in the future...
1. I loved the 2010 Bennington's...2550... but a lil pricey I thought...50 grand with a 200 yamaha... get a lot of nice features... but my kids will literally grind cheetos into my boat the first chance they get... so the less I pay the less I care... so maybe...
2. Southbay 2008's 925CR with 200 suzuki, nice package...43000...but the ratings on JD Power were not great...
3. Manitou 2008..25 footer, 200 suzuki 4 stroke double bimini, decked out. ranked high...38,000... probably the best boat for the money considering power/amenities, etc...
4. Premier 2009 42000, 250 Grand Majestic... very nice, decked out... plush...wow... but I could get the new Bennington for 6 grand more
5. May have some other options in the works with a couple Godfrey boats... dealer repos

So .... I would appreciate the thoughts on these boats...I'm confused now with almost too many options...
1. Would love to hear from the Southbay dealer... particularly why as a dealer he thinks South Bay didn't rank high...loved the boat layout...trifecta!
2. Not sure I love Suzuki... all my buddies tell me to pay extra for the Yamaha... because I may have trouble getting service on the engine...
3. Thoughts on manufacturers would be appreciated...
4. How crazy am I to consider a brokered boat dealer repo purchase without riding in it first? These are new boats, full warranties repectable manufacturers (Godfrey, Bennington, Veranda?) 2007-2009 ...
5. Am I getting screwed on price for what I'm getting?

Wow, that was long...sorry...
I'm excited to be able to join... look forward to hearing your thoughts
Cat
2010 Bennington 2475 GLI
200 Yamaha
Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Kentucky Lake, Paris Landing, Breakers

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Rookie boat buyer...need wisdom

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:40 pm

catdaddy wrote:Hey all...
I've been scouring the internet for a forum like this... looks like a great group....

Here's my situation...
Buying my first boat...grew up fishing on a smooth narrow lake in Kentucky on a small underpowered pontoon... had a blast....
didn't ski, etc...but lord it took forever to get anywhere...
Now... fast forward 20 years...
3 kids (small)... a wife...a dog... house on lake with commercial marina within walking distance...
buying my first pontoon... expect to tube, wakeboard eventually, maybe skiing...need cover for kids...
Water can be rough on lake...
So far, I'm settled on a 3-tube pontoon... later model...
some really good deals on new boats that are leftover...
each has advantages it seems... I want a nice boat that will start when I want it to... and withstand the rigors my kids will put it through... and meet our needs in the future...
1. I loved the 2010 Bennington's...2550... but a lil pricey I thought...50 grand with a 200 yamaha... get a lot of nice features... but my kids will literally grind cheetos into my boat the first chance they get... so the less I pay the less I care... so maybe...Think about finding one with vinyl floor instead of carpet
2. Southbay 2008's 925CR with 200 suzuki, nice package...43000...but the ratings on JD Power were not great...South Bay is a very good toon and Suzuki makes a great motor. Don't let JD Powers rating effect you thinking that much.
3. Manitou 2008..25 footer, 200 suzuki 4 stroke double bimini, decked out. ranked high...38,000... probably the best boat for the money considering power/amenities, etc...
4. Premier 2009 42000, 250 Grand Majestic... very nice, decked out... plush...wow... but I could get the new Bennington for 6 grand more
5. May have some other options in the works with a couple Godfrey boats... dealer repos

So .... I would appreciate the thoughts on these boats...I'm confused now with almost too many options...
1. Would love to hear from the Southbay dealer... particularly why as a dealer he thinks South Bay didn't rank high...loved the boat layout...trifecta!Depends on dealer location. Our local marina uses nothing but Suzuki on rental fleet and I have 4 neighbors with 90 to 150 hp on their toons and love them with no issues
2. Not sure I love Suzuki... all my buddies tell me to pay extra for the Yamaha... because I may have trouble getting service on the engine...
3. Thoughts on manufacturers would be appreciated...
4. How crazy am I to consider a brokered boat dealer repo purchase without riding in it first? These are new boats, full warranties repectable manufacturers (Godfrey, Bennington, Veranda?) 2007-2009 ...
5. Am I getting screwed on price for what I'm getting?

Wow, that was long...sorry...
I'm excited to be able to join... look forward to hearing your thoughts
Cat

I have never been able to test ride a toon before purchase because most are on floor in showroom.

Welcome and we love pics of your choice
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:47 pm

Welcome glad to have you with us.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Bamby

#4 Post by Bamby » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:08 am

I can't explain why South Bay isn't recognized more or less a premium built boat, they are as well or better constructed than some lesser quality boats. I wouldn't hesitate buying one at all if I were in the market for a boat myself.

As far as Suzuki motors go on other boards I read often there seems to be no outstanding issues anyone is posting about. Fact is many people seem to love and recommend them often to others. The biggest thing is the availability of parts and needed services in your area? If their is a good dealer with a good reputation available, can't see a problem with a Suzuki myself.

Try reading this Link: http://www.pontoonhouseboatodyssey.com/ ... s_101.html and you may find the answers to many of the questions you have. What to look for in quality construction etc. Keep in mind the most important area to look at in a quality made pontoon boat is actually under the deck with quality construction techniques and construction.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Boatsnmore

#5 Post by Boatsnmore » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:51 am

My two cents.....

South Bay aka the old Odyssey .... boats come in multiple "layers", from the economy side all the way through the 900 sereis top of the line boats. Many "leftover" South Bays available.... and probably a better buy than going the floor plan repo route.... it is a HUGE benefit to have a Dealer to service your boat over a Broker who is a one n done seller. The Dealers will usually sell leftover at or slightly below cost.... apppreciate your business and can help you when you need it.

Everyone else..... same as above .... lots of same choices.... lots of Dealers willing to move old inventory.

Comparison shop.... the internet is a wonderful addition to the shopping experience. Email.... if they are good, you will get a quick response....

Boat to stay away from in my opinion.... #1 on my list.... Bentley! Virtually no warranty on any boat older than a 2009 which the "new" company will honor?????? Past an 09..... NO WARRANTY and that means NONE. I have a beef with anybody who builds and sells a product and excuses their way out of warranty obligations..... and just so you know I have paid out of my pocket on multiple occasions to repair bad welds.... blistered powder coated rails, bad upholstery, failed accessories.... and more... all in the name of standing behind what we sell! The Encore company as Bentley is now called, is owned by the former Owner after he bought back the assets from the person(s) he sold it to, and which subsequently failed. I don't see anything new in their line nor anything new in their Customer Service dept. Enuff said!

Boat to also consider but not mentioned... Avalon / Tahoe.... check them out....www.avalonpontoons.com , you be the judge.... and the same buying scenarios exist for their Dealers as apply to the other brands. There are great buys to be found.

Again... it's my two cents... and there will be 48 more two cents here to give you a dollar.... :biggrin2

Happy hunting! :lol3
Avalon Pontoon 2010 & 2011 Gold Dealer
Caravelle Power Boats
Blazer Bass & Blazer Bay Dealer
Mercury Outboard Platinum Dealer

dockholiday

#6 Post by dockholiday » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:49 am

Welcome
Looks like you are on the right track with the boats listed. The dealer I bought from lake tests all boats sold. He lake tested 2 yesterday with 3 inches of snow here. I sure would not entertain the idea of buying any boat without a lake test. As far as the motor, most all manufacturers build pretty good ones these days. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, there are pros and cons for both, personally I like the 2 stroke. It will extend your boating season, and get a little better speed with comparable hp since it is lighter. The 4 stroke will be quieter, but the newer 2 strokes are pretty quiet themselves. Just make sure whichever you choose there is a certified mech fairly close to you.
doc

catdaddy

#7 Post by catdaddy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:55 pm

excellent points fellas...
appreciate the input and wisdom
2010 Bennington 2475 GLI
200 Yamaha
Chevy Avalanche LTZ

catdaddy

#8 Post by catdaddy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Veranda... Any thoughts?
2010 Bennington 2475 GLI
200 Yamaha
Chevy Avalanche LTZ

curtiscapk

#9 Post by curtiscapk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Quite a few Verandas on here...

Any one you both like and fits in the wallet, should be good.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

OldePharte

#10 Post by OldePharte » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:26 pm

I went through the same dilemma last year myself. Although, my choices were narrowed even further as I didn't want a trailer, so I needed an on-water dealer; or one that would come to me.

I would never pay any $$ without a test ride. I always test drive cars, so I why wouldn't do the same for a boat that costs just as much?

It wasn't mentioned, but look for the "performance package" on any pontoon that you are considering. It does make a difference. Also go for the most hp that your budget can stand. Look at the motor mount. Is it beefy? I found some that look real flimsy.

Look beyond fit and finish. They are important, but how easy is servicing/adding of any electronics.

I am not a big fan of brokerages. They do have their place and some are very good, but unless you can save a butt-load of $$ and plan on doing your own maintenance and repairs, I'd stick to a dealer. If you do use a broker, make sure that have the title(s) in hand. Not "We'll get them from the seller when the deal is done."

Of those that you listed, I really loved the Premiers with the PTX package. Unfortunately, my guy wasn't about to deal down to where we wanted to be.

Last thing, stay with an upper bracket pontoon. Where we are, the water can get extremely rough, and the M-brackets on some less expensive units fail. Over the last several years, we have helped out several pontoons that were on the verge of sinking due to water infiltration. The M-bracket welds failed and water entered the tubes from the cracks.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.

catdaddy

#11 Post by catdaddy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Switching gears here...
Went to Memphis and Jackson, TN boatshows
more toons in Jackson... Better dealers?
Still liked Others but the prices are scaring me off and the best deals seem to be from dealers that are farthest from me... And I worry about service from a dealer that I didn't buy new boat from
thinking about other options
saw a 2009 Lowe three toon 240Ls with 200 optimax 31000 reliable dealer with great service I am told
anybody have a Lowe? Would love to hear how it's holding up
looked pretty good construction seemed ok
looked functional and much cheaper
2010 Bennington 2475 GLI
200 Yamaha
Chevy Avalanche LTZ

catdaddy

#12 Post by catdaddy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:10 am

Test riding tomorrow...24 and 26 foot Manitou... 25 foot Premier... Cold in Tn...
got the coveralls though so should be fun...
2010 Bennington 2475 GLI
200 Yamaha
Chevy Avalanche LTZ

catdaddy

#13 Post by catdaddy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Tried to get dealer down on price on the leftover boats 2009 and 2008 and he wouldn't budge from quotes...had priced the boats without a trailer... Throw in a trailer and we're nearly back up to the price of a new boat.... And wouldn't put one in the deal... I had my checkbook... guess he thinks he'll sell em...
so I left and ordered a 2010 from my local dealer
will be here in a few weeks pics to follow
2010 Bennington 2475 GLI
200 Yamaha
Chevy Avalanche LTZ