Pound for Pound what is your best fish fight?

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

captainjack

#1 Post by captainjack » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Mine 35lb spoonbill I snagged in the tail while jigging for eyes! More legitimate side a 40" muskie! Yep the weather turned here today. Trapped inside board at work!
2008 Playcraft Extreme 2600
2008 300 Mercury Verado
2008 Bear Trailer
Iowa

Bamaman

Re: Pound for Pound what is your best fish fight?

#2 Post by Bamaman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Ounce for Ounce, it's a blue gill.

Other big fighters locally are bigger small mouth bass--3-5 lbs.

I hooked a few gar at night, and they'll fight hard. Unfortunately, they also bite hooks. I've not landed any.

My father used to fish for rockfish (stripers) in the 30-50 lb. class. They'll eat a 8" lure and spit it right back. They fought hard from sure size.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Ron Burgundy

#3 Post by Ron Burgundy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:16 pm

The hardest fight I had was against a stingray out in San Diego. Once they bury themselves in the sand it's like pulling on cement. It spooled my line a couple times before I finally got him to the boat.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

vermilionfox

#4 Post by vermilionfox » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 am

I hooked a 35 pound buffalo in the dorsal fin while fishing an in-line spinner for white bass on Kentucky Lake. What a fight! Took over an hour to land it, good eating too!

Second best fight a five pound smallie on an 8.5 foot ultralight crappie pole with four pound test line!

Overall bluegills on ultralight tackle!
vermilionfox
22ft Crest Family Fish
115 Johnson 4 Stroke
Lake Vermilion, MN. and Pool 26 Mississippi River

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#5 Post by badmoonrising » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:28 am

I concur on stingrays. We catch cownose rays regularly in the mid Chesapeake, it's a minimum 1 hour battle with heavy gear. My best was 45 lbs. They are excellent eating as well, more like beef than fish when cooked on a grill.

Also the 65 pound bluefin tuna I caught on charter once, kicked my ass...by I had tons of sashimi.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

sidewinder

#6 Post by sidewinder » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am

What a though provoking question. It took me a few moments to settle it in my mine. I am not a young as I once was and sometimes certain things are best forgotten.
The best “Fish Fight” for me has to be back in 84 when I was able to catch and land a 39” pike that was swimming in 3’ of water. He hit that line and was gone. Since I was just layin around sunning myself I never saw it coming. Probable not close to some of the supersize catches that the experts talk about it was fun.
OK that was the “Fish” part now for the “Fight” part. It started shortly after I got home that afternoon after I had cleaned my catch and the Wifey caught me betwixed the kitchen door and the pantry. HOLY!!! HHHHH!!!!!!. She was hotter than a Hen with Hemorrhoids. She was woundup tighter’n three dollar watch and she come unwound right on top of me. How was I suppose to remember we was goin to her folks for lunch and meet her sisters new man. Hell I’da took him Fishin if’n I’d remembered. Well I’ll tellya I still carry that scar on my forehead where the skillet hit me and I never did get to sample that fish cause by the time I come around the next day it was jist layin there kinda cold and smelly. Wern’t no good to eat by then.
Some fish tales are best left in the past.
Ron

blackberg

#7 Post by blackberg » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 pm

pound for pound?
I will agree with bluegill being up there,
and mackerel on light line, like 2-4 lb, light reel on both,
drags will be screaming like crazy,

people look at me funny when I take my trout setup for macks, but the fight is awesome.

big stuff, rays and sharks ive had experience with

-bb

curtiscapk

#8 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 pm

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :happy
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#9 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:23 pm

I have to say the one that jumps to mind was one hot day we came back in off the river on the boat, catching nothing, we decided to walk over and check the bridges, it was a four lane so we had four sides to fish, my two buds hit the first one and I was at the next bridge, it was concrete sides with a good slope and the surface was sand like, so you had to watch your step.

I was standing about 3 and a half foot up from the water line, flipping back by the pilings, after working around a few of them, I had to move my feet by up, as I was sliding down the surface slowly moving around casting.

So the first time I tossed my worm by the next piling, it got hit hard, I guess I must have been excited as my buds could hear me talking the fishing in, what they couldn't see, was me sliding down the side toward the water, as the fight went on, he was a good six pounder, and was doing a great job pulling me toward the water.

It was a hard fight as I slowly slipped down the side, focusing on fighting the fish, I didn't care if I got wet, so long I as I got this guy in,so I ended up sliding down 3 feet and stopped six inches from the edge of the water as the fight ended.

I picked him up, good big fat large mouth bass and tasted so good that night.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#10 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:10 pm

On the east coast we have a saltwater species called croaker, the max out at 24 inches and a 4 pounder can yank a deep sea rig out of the boat, they are very strong swimmers.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

bassn386

#11 Post by bassn386 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:35 pm

From a fresh water perspective I think I have to agree that the blue gill is probably the best fighter. I've thought what a hell of a fight they'd put up if they grew to the size of large-mouth!
A long time ago, we used to go fishing on the Churchill river in northern Saskatchewan and I would use ultra-light tackle to fish for walleye. I had a steel leader on so the fish wouldn't cut the line, but I used 4 or 6 lb test line and it was always fun to hook a 3 pound or so walleye.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

fwood

#12 Post by fwood » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:24 pm

badmoonrising wrote:On the east coast we have a saltwater species called croaker, the max out at 24 inches and a 4 pounder can yank a deep sea rig out of the boat, they are very strong swimmers.
Croakers on the Gulf coast too and I would have to agree pound for pound they're awesome fighting fish. World record is ~8#. In the Texas bays the "croaker run" used to be in October. Some great fishing and very good eating too. They definitely hit hard and fight hard. The little ones are fabulous Speckled Trout bait. :)
http://www.identicards.com/allaboutsalt ... %20Croaker
2011 Manitou Oasis 24 SHP
Etec 250HO
48 mph GPS
'03 Silverado Duramax 4x4
Austin, Texas

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#13 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Good eating too. MD's bag limit is 30 per person per day.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

REPETE

#14 Post by REPETE » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:19 am

Rock bass are great fighters for their size and an absolute blast on ultra-light gear. Some larger fish might be great fighters but because they have sharp teeth the tackle and line used to catch them makes the battle not as fun.
Just verified it on Snopes. Liberals are complete mouth breathing idiots.

I shanked my lover because hoes kept stealing my taco's.

WILD MAN

#15 Post by WILD MAN » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:22 am

I haven't done this yet but it looks like fun, it's on my bucket list. http://flyfishtravel.com/tarpon.html
WILD MAN

2008 SOUTHBAY 822CR SUZUKI DF70
2011 BASS TRACKER 175 TF MERCURY 60
East Mississippi