fish hook in the finger

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

killerkernrich

fish hook in the finger

#1 Post by killerkernrich » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Caught a nice trout last time out landed it with a dip net trying to get the rapala lure out of it damm thing made a big wiggle and jammed the front treble hook into my left hand middle finger deep past the barb I try to hold him still but can`t hook hurts like hell going in deeper an a second one is going in on the side of my same finger more pain , I am alone on the toon, I always have a folding knife clipped onto my shorts. I use the knife to cut the fish lip to remove his hook & drop him in the live well.
Since this is the 4th time I have been hooked in my life time, & the worst, I have no help. I remember what I saw on "you Tube" on hook removal, I used the line on the dip net which was around the hook GRITTED my teeth AND Yanked it back out the way it went in..... IT worked perfect....everyone should go watch a few of those on you tube it did not hurt, the most hurt was when the fish was wiggling.
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

landlockedsailor

Re: fish hook in the finger

#2 Post by landlockedsailor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Wow, impressive! I've always heard one should carry a knife when boating. Now I'll take a look at the YouTube vids too in case I ever get hooked. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, had a tetanus shot lately?
Landlocked Sailor
2011 SunTracker 21' Fishin' Barge
2007 Mercury 60 HP EFI Four-Stroke BigFoot
2014 Never-Been-in-the-Water Suntracker Trailer

evinrude2stroke

#3 Post by evinrude2stroke » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:54 pm

killerkernrich wrote: the most hurt was when the fish was wiggling.
I bet the fish was wiggling on purpose...saying ..oh yea, how does it feel motherf**ker!! :happy
Just kidding.
I always carry pliers when I'm fishing. I use them to handle the hook. I learned the hard way also.
Dave

2016 Manitou 20' w/ 90 E-Tec Pontoon Series

killerkernrich

#4 Post by killerkernrich » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:45 pm

landlockedsailor wrote:Wow, impressive! I've always heard one should carry a knife when boating. Now I'll take a look at the YouTube vids too in case I ever get hooked. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, had a tetanus shot lately?
Yep on the tetanus they are good for 10 years
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

Tully

#5 Post by Tully » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:26 am

Same thing happened to me last week only I couldn't get it out. Went to ER. Next time I'll do it myself.

2008 Tracker 24' Party Barge
Mercury 60 hp Big Foot 4 stroke
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Point 25
Owl Creek Cove
Table Rock Lake
Southwest Missouri