Trolling Motor Mounting

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

PontoonChris

Trolling Motor Mounting

#1 Post by PontoonChris » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

In the near future I would like to mount an trolling motor on the pontoon, I have room in the front as I have 2 fishing seats up front. Ideally, I would like to be able to remove and install the trolling motor as needed. I don't need anything fancy just something to get us around.

Thanks for you help!

Chris

joe20toon

Re: Trolling Motor Mounting

#2 Post by joe20toon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:37 pm

Sorry, kinda late posting but, MinnKota has a 'quick release' bracket for their motors. I have one and it's lockable. It works great!
2016 20 foot Sylvan RPT (V Pontoons)
Yamaha Vmax SHO 115HP
80 Pound Thrust RipTide Trolling Motor
Humminbird Helix 7 Side Imaging

PontoonChris

#3 Post by PontoonChris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks Joe!!

JBO

#4 Post by JBO » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:53 pm

I searched through old posts on here and found a pic/link to the mount we used:
JBO wrote:I would probably suggest looking at (2) high amp hour 27 series batteries at a minimum. We have (2) 27series AGM Cabelas batteries and they work well but I wish I had purchased 31 series off the bat. I definitely need to recharge the batteries after a day of use and I'm typically lower on juice than I'd prefer. Not much extra left in the tank.

Edited: Don't mount it on the transom. You should try to get it mounted on the front. It should be do-able.

Example:
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (118.41 KiB) Viewed 18464 times
We used a Minnkota MKA-21 Mount which helped elevate the trolling motor a bit to clear the front trim of the boat and makes it easier to remove. We normally remove the trolling motor for loading/unloading and getting it on and off the trailer.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/ ... E-BRACKET/
2017 Lowe SD224 w/ 150HP Mercury

Ddancers

#5 Post by Ddancers » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:09 am

I ended up with a Minn Kota Terrova 80/US2 80-lb Thrust Freshwater Bow Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot, 60" Shaft. (Setup forward)
Setup with quick release also, and remove in the winter. Because I have side gates I just lift it up high, and lock if passengers are not fishing.
Love the I-Pilot and the 80-lb thrust moves me along fine and supplements the motor at idle when needed to hold a constant trolling speed.
Sweetwater 2015 - 2 - 27" Tubes
240 DF LF150 Yamaha
Lifting Strakes Cap. 15 Per.
Long Shaft 31.9 mph.

padregtr

#6 Post by padregtr » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:58 am

This is a little late also but ditto on the what Ddancers sai. The 80# thrust Terrova with 60" shaft works well with our 27" toons. We just got our boat a couple of weeks ago and that trolling motor with mount has been great. We stash the TM in the center toon when we go in for dry storage after a trip to the lake and set it up next time out. Only takes a minute. Super easy.

Pics here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23956

You didn't say what size boat you have but ours a 22' tritoon with 45 gallon tank. The TM does a good job and the mounting plate is a breeze.