which motor should I choose???

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

amwaterpilot

which motor should I choose???

#1 Post by amwaterpilot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Hey gang, got a motor question for a rebuild, first pontoon owner. I was fortunate enough to pick up a '97 Sweetwater 24 XLXL with a 40 HP Yamaha 2-stroke for less than 1K! It needed the carpet replaced and had engine issues. I replaced the carpet and fencing and ad-libbed the boat to how I wanted it to look and function. I flipped the stock fencing 180 degrees from its stock configuration to give it a clean low aspect in front an left off a rear corner for a stern entrance. I put a basics 2x4 flip top table/bench for cards or fishing; stained it with red mahogany stain and polyurethane. I have bench upholstered pontoon furniture I can put on it when the daughter and the girls want to go sunning. I call it a convertable because I can strip the deck of fishing chairs, tables and lounge chairs in 5 minutes if I want a "dancing barge." I want to repaint the fencing this summer and add a bimini.

My yamaha 40 had fuel related issues which were easily fixed: fuel lines, clean tank, new fuel pump ($45.00) and a good carb cleaning is all it took...runs like a million bucks. I have lightened this toon considerably but she will only do 15 MPH WOT. Not bad, but I bought this toon for the boat and not really for the motor. I have had 20 or so fixer-uppers over the last 30 yeas and have ammassed quite a collection of motors. I have a good 115 merc, and a 85 merc, 75 Flying Scott which still runs great for as old as she is, and a 50 Johnson. All these motors have "lost" their mounts for one reason or the other. Although the little Yam pushes her 24' quite well, do I have anything to gain by swapping it out with one of these other motors?
Attachments
River8.jpg
River8.jpg (810.75 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
River5.jpg
River5.jpg (778.66 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
River7.jpg
River7.jpg (774.95 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
River11.jpg
River11.jpg (604.7 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
'97 Sweetwater 24'
Jamestown, Virginia

LocoCoco

Re: which motor should I choose???

#2 Post by LocoCoco » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:09 am

Personally, I'd keep the Yamaha on it. I definitely have a soft spot for Yammis because every one I've ever owned (outboards, sleds, pwc) has been bulletproof reliable. And apparently I'm not alone. Around here anyway, used Yamaha outboards are sold at a premium and always in demand compared to Mercs and OMCs.

As for performance with the other motors, I guess it depends on what you're using your boat for, but I can't imagine even the 115 giving you a wild speed upgrade. What year are these motors? I'm assuming the 115 Merc is an inline 6 "Tower of Power"? If so, it's gonna be thirsty and any Merc from those years are notoriously loud by design from their stupid and annoying sheet metal wrap-around cowl. I had a couple '88 Merc 35s and those cowls were especially annoying because of how often I had to remove them to fix the POS motor.

What year Johnson?

I would argue that statistically that Yamaha will be most likely to always get you home as well as be a little more decent on fuel and run slow enough to troll if you're a fisherman. I'll also point out that I've owned more Evinrudes than anything, and most of them have been great. However, I would have traded each and every one of them for a Yamaha if given the chance.

LC.
'06 Odyssey 222C (Tritoon conversion) + '06 Suzuki 40 = Never lose your hat.

LocoCoco

#3 Post by LocoCoco » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 am

Oh, and I agree with ya on having a somewhat "convertible" boat. I removed the forward-port couch from my boat and it was the best move I've ever made. Before we found we always had a surplus of seating and a shortage of cooler space. Now there's plenty of room for coolers, Action Packers and even the baby's playpen, and when extra seating is needed we just throw some folding chairs on there.

:thumbsup

LC.
'06 Odyssey 222C (Tritoon conversion) + '06 Suzuki 40 = Never lose your hat.

amwaterpilot

#4 Post by amwaterpilot » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Absolutely...I am working on a set of racks that I put on the outside of the rails which will hold the coolers, life jackets, munchies, tool box (if you don't have a tool box aboard your boat then you don't know boating) and etc. that will free up playpen space. They will fold up for trailering. Because of all the amazing power my 40 Yam produces pushing this two dozen foot sea cow, I actually lost my hat last Sunday!
'97 Sweetwater 24'
Jamestown, Virginia