metal framing/rails

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jcrab

metal framing/rails

#1 Post by jcrab » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:45 am

I am trying to plan a rebuild on my pontoon and I am trying to find out the best metal to use for making an upper sundeck on the back half of the boat. Aluminum is expensive and requires special welding tools, while steel is typically heavy and I don't want to sink the boat. Any suggestions?

Bamby

Re: metal framing/rails

#2 Post by Bamby » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:54 pm

A upper deck undoubtedly could be a nice useful feature for some for sure. But I'm also thinking it could open a big can of liability issues should it collasp or fail for any reason. People could be seriously injured or worse and I wouldn't wont to be behind the helm when or should it happen. If you're real determined to have one maybe look around for upper deck kit that someone else has engineered, then you can point your fingure at someone else who will be forced to at least share the responsability with you.

Here's an example: J's Upper Decks
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

jcrab

#3 Post by jcrab » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:25 pm

jcrab wrote:I am trying to plan a rebuild on my pontoon and I am trying to find out the best metal to use for making an upper sundeck on the back half of the boat. Aluminum is expensive and requires special welding tools, while steel is typically heavy and I don't want to sink the boat. Any suggestions?
Good point! I didn't know it was an option to just buy one like that. It is a pricey option though. I will have to do some research and see if I can find one more reasonable now that I know.
I have a tendency to over-do things, so I believe I could make it safe. I would definitely make sure before finding out the hard way.

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:29 pm

You'd do best to can the idea. 8' wide pontoons are not very stable when you put a bunch of kids up on a deck, and it'd take a very, very long boat to handle it. You're right about aluminum square tubing being expensive, and it takes a good tubing bender and TIG welder to deal with the stuff.

You'd do best to spend the money on great seating--only if the fencing and the pontoon boat itself is worth spending money on.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

jcrab

#5 Post by jcrab » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:09 pm

After reading other information and the posts above, the idea has been scrapped now. It is really discouraged, on a 20 footer especially.
:poop

Back to the idea of a tiki bar theme! :drink4 :drink4 :drink4

RcgTexas

#6 Post by RcgTexas » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Probably the best idea!

However if you decide to do something like that in the future on whatever boat, Aluminum is about the only practical material, for several reasons.
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

rancherlee

#7 Post by rancherlee » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:52 am

Every manufactured toon I've seen with one is at least 24' and they all have a ton of warning stickers by the ladder. "No occupancy over 5mph" and "2 persons Max" are the most common decals.
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

phat06

#8 Post by phat06 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:34 pm

It's not as difficult as it sounds, or looks. Simple frame from 2 inch aluminum channel structure and 1/2 inch treated wood platform. Entire frame with wood and carpet is only 315 lbs. build a 2 1/2 foot swim platform off of the rear of the boat for the ladder to get to the top. I built this 4 years ago and use the boat many times a year with no issues what so ever. I've had 6 adults up top at one time and it's very stable when anchored. No riders while boat is moving.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (567.36 KiB) Viewed 3075 times