Al the Mirthmaker (Mark III)

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

pond tuuunes

Re: Al the Mirthmaker (Mark III)

#211 Post by pond tuuunes » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:31 pm

:thumbsup
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

tuned

#212 Post by tuned » Fri May 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Put a little push on finally because the ice is almost thinking of going out...well....ummm :coffee
OK maybe a couple more weeks. Super busy at work for two weeks too. Am I gonna get stuck with that damn trophy this year?

Back to brazing

There I built something

It was a fairly complex structure with some rabbit cuts etc...

It fits nicely. Black side skin is cut and diamond plate for the top of it.

Some more complex multi-level racks for something or other

Doghouse got some goodies. Bench and track for sundeck build (see previous pic). And some strategically placed handles. Yay! That beastie is getting a bit heavy and awkward.

Finally, this thingy. Any guesses? Its a tough one, but of course it is something that I built with my own three hands. When is it every easy?
:smoke
Here's a hint: It will make my life a LOT easier
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

tuned

#213 Post by tuned » Tue May 13, 2014 8:31 pm

tuned wrote:Put a little push on finally because the ice is almost thinking of going out...well....ummm :coffee
OK maybe a couple more weeks. Super busy at work for two weeks too. Am I gonna get stuck with that damn trophy this year?

Same viewish-A SLIVER OF OPEN WATER! A closer look reveals a rather large sheet of ice STILL looming ominously out on the big water. In mid-May. Unreal.

Here's what that bench is for. I laid on it for several hours the other day and finalized most of my engine wiring. Very comfy with the rubber pad glued to it. It did indeed make my poor old back much happier and will continue to do so for years to come.

Sundeck structure starting to take shape.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

curtiscapk

#214 Post by curtiscapk » Wed May 14, 2014 5:56 am

awesome Todd!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

redbeard

#215 Post by redbeard » Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Looks great man. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Truman Lake
1986 24' Playcraft "The Georgia Peach"
1996 Evinrude 88 HP
14x11 Prop

fergusmj

#216 Post by fergusmj » Sat May 17, 2014 7:55 pm

looks good!
Ferg's Tritoon Build
[url]http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17012[/url]

tuned

#217 Post by tuned » Mon May 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Quick update and WARNING. Barring complications, I have moved my tentative launch date forward a bit, so you laggards better get a move on or your trophy awaits :biggrin2

Of course 'complications' is a rather wide open word. Here's my potential deal breakers:
1. Rainy STILL has ice, but it should be clear in a day or four. My marina bay is open so I can at least get a test run, unless the wind changes and blows it all into my shore.
2. Finally got my outdrive back. Perfect skeg repair! I can't even tell where they welded it or painted it. A bargain at $110. From now on, I'm gonna be extra careful around the rocks...in my driveway. :oops: After install, it doesn't shift quite right. This could be an issue, but most likely is just a touchy cable adjustment (2 cables on I/Os). After all the motor work and moving the shift plate etc...this is to be expected. What I didn't expect was not being able to find the $10 plastic adjustment tool that I used last year and is critical to the task. So waiting impatiently for another one.
3. After completing final wiring, a quick test of the new in-tank fuel pump and assorted hoses yielded no gushers, although I did detect a faint odor that I need to track down. Fortunately, I now have TWO independent fume sniffers in the bilge that automatically turn on TWO bilge blowers. A third sniffer in the battery compartment (yep I'm a safety freak). I also need to final adjust the fuel pressure regulator.

ECU controller at helm booted right up and all codes cleared! Basically ready to test fire (again) once I get it pulled out from the shed. Looking forward to running it on the garden hose for a longer period so the computer can 'learn' and lean out a bit. Looking forward to not having to breath so much smoke this time :smoke
A fair amount of cosmetic work to finalize on my trunk lid/exhaust cutout cover that I have to do before launch.
Fortunately I finally have several days off, a ton of motivation, and cooperative weather (sort of). Lots to do, but things are looking up.

Did I forget to mention when I am hoping to launch? I did, didn't I....ahem...Rob...Ferg....Ty...Craig....Bob...Bryden? It looks like it might be a close one this year hehe :nana
BTW, Ferg, after giving it much thought, my humble opinion is that a successful 'launch' also needs to include a successful 'landing' :rofl
Last edited by tuned on Mon May 19, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

curtiscapk

#218 Post by curtiscapk » Mon May 19, 2014 12:56 pm

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :box :box :box :box :box :prayer :prayer :prayer :prayer :prayer :prayer
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

fergusmj

#219 Post by fergusmj » Mon May 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Alright fellas....its on!!!!!! :drink4 :drink4 :drink4 :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :box :drink :drink :drink :drink :drink
Ferg's Tritoon Build
[url]http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17012[/url]

pond tuuunes

#220 Post by pond tuuunes » Wed May 21, 2014 10:51 am

Ya have me beat Todd, im so far behind I might just take the season off. JT
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

tuned

#221 Post by tuned » Wed May 21, 2014 11:39 pm

pond tuuunes wrote:Ya have me beat Todd, im so far behind I might just take the season off. JT
THAT's not good. Do ya need me to pop over and motervate ur *ss? :nana

Don't admit defeat just yet. I had just mentioned 'complications' and talked a little smack. Well karma has a sense of humor it seems. Fuel system is worse than I had originally thought. One barely leak in the injector area. More of a moist spot. Solvable.

Bbbuttt. There was a much larger leak in the tank area where I mounted the fuel pump. There are several small fittings in the area which makes it tough to find. This could be a deal breaker for a bit and possibly removal of my pump which is a bunch of messin' about. :coffee

The rest is going well. Engine fully wired, tidied and ready. Outdrive on and full. Outer tubes plugged and aired to 3.5psi. Back rack area is really starting to shape up. Money shots soon. Launch??? Well not so much. Unless I get lucky.

So I was messing around with an editing program and...I don't know if its art, but I like it.
I call it 'OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW'

I'm going from an old Merc 3 blade (Mirage Plus) 19p to a 4 blade Powertech OFS 15p. Excited. I already tried a Powertech midline 4 blade (ELE) and liked it, so I traded up. The OFS (Offshore) is the stud prop for these guys and is very well regarded. They will swap props (for a fee) until I am happy. Likely I will end up with a 16p or 17p in the OFS :guitar .
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

pond tuuunes

#222 Post by pond tuuunes » Fri May 30, 2014 8:23 am

Well???? Keep us posted!

tuned

#223 Post by tuned » Fri May 30, 2014 1:59 pm

pond tuuunes wrote:Well???? Keep us posted!
Aaargh. Don't get me started. Between working like a dog (at regular work) and working like a dog (on boat) and working like a dog (at mom's), I'm STILL in friggin dry-dock. :x

Lake ice went out about a week ago (2nd latest in history) and it is now 91 outside...instant summer. I just keep hitting small hurdles and jumping over them only to find another in my way. Down to the last one (I hope) but waiting on parts. I tried to overnight it yesterday but stupid Wells Fargo put a 'hold' on the transaction even tho the card was perfectly fine. To quote a phrase I learned right here on this forum....Assclowns.. :devillol They thought the vendor looked 'suspicious'. I chewed them out and fixed it.

Even tho I am finally on vacation for two weeks, I now need to wait til Monday to fix my final tiny fuel leak. I just can't be comfortable launching with it that way, despite my numerous safety systems. On the plus side, I have very carefully been running motor (in boat now) daily on the garden hose. Yesterday, the ECU has finally learned enough to run properly on the low end at least. It cold started up nicely, ran with a fast idle until warm and then backed down to 750rpm, all nice and smooth. YAY! I wouldn't have been able to launch without this anyway, because I wouldn't have been able to maneuver at the marina. I fully expect the mid and high range to be rough as well, then settle down in time.

So there is nothing major left to do but impatiently wait until Monday now. Guess I'll have to pop over to Woody's Fairly Reliable Guide Service pub and jam with the homies :guitar Great stress relief. Side note on Woody's-the tv crews wrapped up shooting and are now cutting up 5 'pilot episodes'. Not sure of air date yet.

JT-it sounded as if you were having second thoughts about launching this summer, or perhaps other issues. I hope you work it out. I was serious about heading your way sometime. I have a lot of vacation coming my way this summer and I would love to see that monster in person!
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

pond tuuunes

#224 Post by pond tuuunes » Fri May 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Todd, you are welcome here anytime. My biggest hurdle here is money, i spoke with a guy that has the same toon as me, but bigger engine (1350hp). He says I need to have a support plate welded to the center toon under the engine. I bought the plate, but welder wants $700 to weld it. Engine is ready, so as soon as I get plate welded, IT ON!!!! JT

tuned

#225 Post by tuned » Fri May 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Copy that and 10-4.
These games we play sure ain't cheap, are they? I shudder to think of my investment in the last two years. :scared
ToddBob
International Falls, MN