Al the Mirthmaker (Mark III)

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tuned

Re: Al the Mirthmaker (Mark III)

#31 Post by tuned » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 pm

BABY STEPS! :nana Frickin FINALLY
No vroom until Friday. As the temp drops in my unheated shed. Wrenches will cool off and turn blue and miserable. Snow forecast. Perfect evening to touch 'er off :scared :prayer
Hopefully it all ends something like this :bowdown :drink4
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

pond tuuunes

#32 Post by pond tuuunes » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:52 pm

im not sure how fast your tune is gonna be. But are you worried at all about how much wind your "shack" can take?
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

Texoma Toon

#33 Post by Texoma Toon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:00 pm

pond tuuunes wrote:im not sure how fast your tune is gonna be. But are you worried at all about how much wind your "shack" can take?
I had that same thought.......
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

tuned

#34 Post by tuned » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:57 pm

pond tuuunes wrote:im not sure how fast your tune is gonna be. But are you worried at all about how much wind your "shack" can take?
The thought crossed my mind. It was originally built by the old woodsman Al quite sturdily although lightweight. I have continued to upgrade since. Single lengths of conduit bent from floor to ceiling to floor all in one swoop. Steel angle at top and bottom of walls to weld it all together. A combination of vertical 2x4s and 2x2s at the corners. 1/4" plywood with u clamps bolting it to the conduit in quite a few places stiffens it up greatly. I also tied into the rails for further strength front to back. The roof is generally built in the same way with the front edge especially beefed/sandwiched to take the blast.
When I did all that a year ago, I wasn't so much concerned about lake wind (although its been through 60mph plus wind at the dock). I expect top speed to be somewhere near 50ish. Rather, the risk is on the highway when I am doing 50 and I meet a pulp truck coming the other way at 70. On the trailer, the dang roof is about 4 feet above the truck. Kinda scary the first time. I have tested it up to 70 behind my truck with oncoming traffic and it just keeps taking it year after year.
I LOVE IT!
It rattles, it bends, it creaks when I sleep. The beauty of wood with a thousand stainless screws. A little give makes it very forgiving. The wind leaks thru just enough for fresh air but still bugproof. And heated just enough. I sleep like a baby on it, and no drunk driving.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

pond tuuunes

#35 Post by pond tuuunes » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:20 am

Thats good, you should have a great toon. Im guessing 45 to 50 mph, as its going to be fighting alot of wind drag. But still a respectable speed. JT
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

tuned

#36 Post by tuned » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Having a **ck of a time doing the alignment. No room to swing wrench.
Those of you that have never had the pleasure/pain of using a crowfoot, be thankful.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

tuned

#37 Post by tuned » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Actually had to remove engine to do rough alignment. Then crowfoot one stinkin face at a time. Tell me again why I bought an I/O? :donno
At any rate, I got'r done and....vroom frickin vroom....finally :nana
Engine is now winterized and I am movin' on
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

ronb

#38 Post by ronb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:58 am

OMG, sounds awful. I will come up and haul it away. :). You need to put more prop on there...

woolznaz

#39 Post by woolznaz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:54 am

Vrooom, vrooooooooom indeed! Great progress! Congratulations on the big steps taken so far. It is a lot of fun watching this project move forward so thanks for sharing the pictures. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this has been easy. I have not even broken a sweat on this whole project! :biggrin2
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

tuned

#40 Post by tuned » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 pm

ronb wrote:OMG, sounds awful. I will come up and haul it away. :).
Let me trash it on a reef at high speed in the wee hours first. Then you can have it.
You need to put more prop on there...
Did it ever occur to you that you were looking at a jet drive? :biggrin2

woolznaz wrote: I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this has been easy. I have not even broken a sweat on this whole project! :biggrin2
It is comforting to know that you are not overexerting. I won't be breaking much of a sweat myself from here on out. We've already had several light snows. Running heavy wire feeds with my paks on...with fingers blue and stiff.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

tuned

#41 Post by tuned » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 pm

So somewhere earlier in this thread I think, I was bragging up my RoundTop Plastic shelter for Al and how it had lasted four whole winters?
Wellll, you guessed it. I jinxed myself and that sucker tore most of the way off about a week later in a high wind. :donno
I contacted Shelter Logic about a replacement cover (12' x 24' footprint). They would do it for about 300 dollars. They also had a custom cover maker nearby that used much heavier fabric. I decided to try the good stuff and paid about $900 for fabric that was about 3 times as heavy. It also came with a ten year declining warranty.
Today was the perfect late fall day to install it. 55 degrees in the sunshine and not a lick of wind which is critical on a sail that big. As the main tarp weighs in at about a hundred pounds alone, it was recommended to use Pam on all the pipes as I slid the thing on and adjusted its fit. Worked like a charm, although things got a little hairy with overspray on the ladder rungs :scared As the old boat barely fit and the new one is 6" wider and a couple taller, I'll probably have to spray a little Pam on IT to slide it in there. Maybe use a shoehorn as well. It's for sure gonna stick out the front a few feet also.
Got 'er done. I like the white better than the gray that I had.
Note the new scaffold that I put in so that I can easily brush off snow from the outside.
ImageImage
The logs are lathe turned and will be used as rollers when I move the wheelhouse shack over. They have already done duty as forms for bending the underskin. They will be used a third time as part of a tall outdoor hoist point. That way I can still pull engine if needed, as I will no longer be able to fit the boat in pole shed.
Last edited by tuned on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

Just Laxin

#42 Post by Just Laxin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:54 pm

woolznaz wrote:Vrooom, vrooooooooom indeed! Great progress! Congratulations on the big steps taken so far. It is a lot of fun watching this project move forward so thanks for sharing the pictures. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this has been easy. I have not even broken a sweat on this whole project! :biggrin2

I know what you mean, I haven't even scraped a knuckle! :biggrin2
2012 South Bay 522 SL TT
Merc. 150 EFI Four Stroke

woolznaz

#43 Post by woolznaz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Just Laxin wrote:
woolznaz wrote:Vrooom, vrooooooooom indeed! Great progress! Congratulations on the big steps taken so far. It is a lot of fun watching this project move forward so thanks for sharing the pictures. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this has been easy. I have not even broken a sweat on this whole project! :biggrin2

I know what you mean, I haven't even scraped a knuckle! :biggrin2
Yea, he makes this sound like a big project..... seems easy to me from here. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so. In fact, I cannot wait to see what we do next!

Tuned, obviously we are just kidding and are really enjoying your project. Great work, and good luck the rest of the way!
5.7 Volvo I/O

woolznaz

#44 Post by woolznaz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:12 pm

tuned wrote: As the main tarp weighs in at about a hundred pounds alone, it was recommended to use Pam ..... Worked like a charm]
She's quite the trooper, I guess. It was nice of them to recommend her and I'm impressed they knew she would be willing to help. :biggrin2

Nice work on the new shed. :thumbsup
5.7 Volvo I/O

tuned

#45 Post by tuned » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:17 pm

woolznaz wrote:
tuned wrote: As the main tarp weighs in at about a hundred pounds alone, it was recommended to use Pam ..... Worked like a charm]
She's quite the trooper, I guess. It was nice of them to recommend her and I'm impressed they knew she would be willing to help.
Not only willing to help, but supplied the right amount of lubricant. Only problem is she got it all over my old plow truck (which I was carefully using as a ladder extender). Although I had to clean the windshield so I didn't make 'muddy oil', the body will probably never get washed. I figure it is now doing double duty as rust preventative :biggrin2
ToddBob
International Falls, MN