Pontoon Stuff provides materials to make my toon new

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

evinrude2stroke

Re: My toon was in bad shape, then just worst

#31 Post by evinrude2stroke » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Gotcha, either way you go its gonna be nice. Everything is nicer when it's new.
Dave

2016 Manitou 20' w/ 90 E-Tec Pontoon Series

Texoma Toon

#32 Post by Texoma Toon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I have seen some toons with vinyl in the front under the fishing chairs and carpet in the rear by the couches. These were 24 ft toons so I am not sure if that would work on a 20 ft toon.
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#33 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:36 am

I do love the flooring kit, you pick out what you want on to finish it with, tell them what size floor and they send you every thing needed right down to the trowel to put the glue down with and James told us just to send him measurements and they would have figured a lay out for us, then the fact Craig ordered and in two days had just about every thing but the flooring sitting at his house, what great service.

I want to let you know, I was honored to be picked, I never win anything, then to get a free make over for my Toon, all I have to do is the labor part, still has me wondering,is it is true or a dream, but the timing was great as my brother and I were ready to start tearing it down that very week, to see what we needed, this just turned the fire up under our ass.

I'll load the some pictures with our seating mocked up, with what we had, inside the pen set up in his building, worked great, we were able to sit in different parts of the pen and had the lay out figured in no time.

Now we are going to be checking out prices on getting the fence power coated, I was going to replace the paneling on the rails till I looked real close and seen the what I thought was a separate trim piece holding the skin, was part of the rails, we have to get some some fab work done on the rear fence to bring the fence up to 28 inches in the back so we can use it to hold the sun deck we are adding behind the rear couch.

We are trying to make it better than it was coming out of the factory in 91, we want people to look at it and try to figure out what brand it is, that way we can tell them how we come to have a new toon,that no one has seen, should have no trouble getting some some new customers for Pontoon Stuff and we might want to build a few for other people, when we see what kind of time we have in it.

But we are having a ball so far, time to start taking the wood off tomorrow, so more pictures coming as we start polishing the pontoons up again
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Ron Burgundy

#34 Post by Ron Burgundy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:41 am

I have a fiberglass "paint" instead of carpet or vinyl. It's durable and easy to clean. Similar to the truck bed liner idea but geared more towards the marine environment.

This is the website if you're interested. I'm not sure exactly what they use but they might sell it. I've called them before and they seem decent. Local Florida company too.

http://www.fiestaboats.com/construction_fiesta.shtml
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

cwag911

#35 Post by cwag911 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:08 am

Herb, Mike couldn't have picked a more deserving recipient of the toon makeover.
Carl & Suzi
07 Bennington 2275rl triton w/ strakes
150 Honda 15x15p Enertia prop
Power assisted steering
Denver, NC Lake Norman
Pleiku, Vietnam 1971
Agent Orange survivor (so far)

Liquid Asset

#36 Post by Liquid Asset » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:08 am

If you want to replace the skin on the fence I would go right over it if at all possible. Mine factory skin was mounted on the inside of the fence and I put the new on the ouside to give it the totally smooth sides. I put foam board inbetween the layers to offer some protection to the new skin. That replacement skin is so thin, basically it's a roll of flashing. If you layed a new one right over your old it would make it less prone to dents and other damage. I fastened mine with a real thin 3M weather rated double sided tape and the covered it with a polished molding. It was easy to mount and sure beats prying that channel open all the way around the fence to get the old stuff out. Here's a pic of how its mounted.

2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

chill'nthemost

#37 Post by chill'nthemost » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 am

Liquid Asset wrote:If you want to replace the skin on the fence I would go right over it if at all possible. Mine factory skin was mounted on the inside of the fence and I put the new on the ouside to give it the totally smooth sides. I put foam board inbetween the layers to offer some protection to the new skin. That replacement skin is so thin, basically it's a roll of flashing. If you layed a new one right over your old it would make it less prone to dents and other damage. I fastened mine with a real thin 3M weather rated double sided tape and the covered it with a polished molding. It was easy to mount and sure beats prying that channel open all the way around the fence to get the old stuff out. Here's a pic of how its mounted.

That idea is a great as it looks! I like the idea of not messing with removing the original fence. I have a friend who builds custom cargo and snowmobile trailers. Instead of riveting the aluminum siding he also uses 3M double sided tape. The smooth look of the siding looks so much better than all the roberts head screws nearly all cargo trailers have and as long as your using 3M it's every bit as strong as the screws
1998 Sun Tracker Party Barge 25ft, stern drive 3.0 Chevy
Unfortunate member Parent's of Murdered Children

I love my country, it's the government I fear

The_Hellbilly

#38 Post by The_Hellbilly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:07 am

Liquid asset- can you give us some more info/pics on the polished molding material & install?
Counting all the a$$holes in the room Well I'm definitely not alone

2005 Voyager 22ft Tritoon
2004 Honda 135hp
Strakes, underskinned, aluminum deck, etc.
Towed by: '11 Chevy Z71 Crewcab

Liquid Asset

#39 Post by Liquid Asset » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:34 am

Ok I don't want to steal a thread here so I'll keep it quick. The aluminum is 1/8" x 3/4" flat stock that I ordered from onlinemetals.com. I have bought alot of my aluminum from them. It's cheap and easy as long as you don't need pieces longer tha 8'. It wasn't polished when I got it it was mill finish. I polished it over the winter a little at a time using luster pad polish. I've been using that stuff for years on my truck wheels and it works great. Kind of like never dull but way way better. I drilled and counter sunk for the oval head stainless screws. I picked those up from fastenal along with most the hardware on the boat. As for the tape it holds awsome and the trim isn't really needed to hold the skin on. It just makes it look nicer and goes with my polished rub rail and other details. I did also protect the polish job with the toon brite sealer.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#40 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:25 pm

I don't have to many dents in mine, so I think I'll just wrap it, was thinking about power coating the rails but I think it won't work and or cost to much, guess I could polish it the best I can and keep shark hide on the rails.

I could paint it but then that gets beat after 10 years, IF you have some suggestions on how to make the rails and fence look better jump in, I know if you put a bunch of new stuff by old stuff it make the old looks worse.

Liquid Asset

#41 Post by Liquid Asset » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:46 pm

My rails are the original vintage 1983. They are a litttle beat up but no one notices. I know what you mean about new stuff making the old look worse. The secret is to make the new look so good that no one even notices the old !!! I just cleaned mine good with a worn out scotch brite pad and soap. Mine are anodized so polishing wasn't an option with out a ton of work. The one thing I wish I would have done before I put them all together and on the boat is clear coat them. My old mercury outboard looked great with just a coat of clear on it. It looked new from 5' away. It's amazing how just making it shine a bit makes it look so much better. If you clean them and shoot a quality clear coat to them they will look almost new and last a long time. Just an option.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#42 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

I think I'm going your way Liquid, I was just trying to take it to the next level, but then I like the KISS method too, keep it simple stupid.

Starting taking the deck off Friday night, found out the old motorcycle tool worked great to get the screws started backing out,an impact driver,

We got two sheets done in the dark because we didn't want to move our mock up yet, then I just heard from my sister n law, my brother and his two girls got the rest of the deck removed just thirty minutes ago, I think they are ready to hit the water again, but I'm glad for all the help, it was worth it, giving him half ownership of the toon.

I think I have my wish list done, now we see if James says, are you kidding me ???, but I went for full pimped out, so people will be saying, NO way that's the same pontoon and will be a toon stands out, so I will be able to share Pontoon Stuffs products and might even getting one or two to rebuild, they have a bar on the lake near my brother's, you can dock the boat, order drinks and food right on the water, can't wait to show it off on a Saturday.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#43 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:49 pm

cwag911 wrote:Herb, Mike couldn't have picked a more deserving recipient of the toon makeover.
Thank You Sir, I'll talk to BMR and get you more women on your birthday, If James comes through with what he offered, we may have more give aways in the future as he was talking about maybe allowing monthly drawing on some toon parts.

But I like the fact we will have a discounts just for being a Pontoon Forum member, so it will work out good for all of us and Pontoon Stuff.

Sundancer

#44 Post by Sundancer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 am

Congratulations!!!!! That is going to be one nicely rebuilt pontoon. Good things happening for great people always nice to hear. Looking forward to seeing all the progress to finish
Rad
1994 18' Sundancer 60 Mercury
2012 Ford F-150 with Ecoboost
from Lexington Mo
Hang out at Truman Lake

GOD,GUNS and GUTS is what keeps America free

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#45 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 am

Here's some pictures of the girls helping their Dad finish stripping the deck, we now have a nakid toon, so time to get her cleaned up and get my stuff ordered and on the way.

I think the girls are ready to get back on the water and are pitching in to help.