1988 Bass Buggy winter/Gravity project in New Mexico

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ercarp

1988 Bass Buggy winter/Gravity project in New Mexico

#1 Post by Ercarp » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:52 am

Bought this boat at the beginning of summer 2014. 1988 20' Sun tracker Bass Buggy ( deck is only 16'...lose 2 foot in back for fuel/batteries and the deck 2' back from end of the toons in front), it has a 70 hp johnson. It has been a great boat for us (although I would like it to be a little faster, nothing crazy maybe 25-30mph would be nice...max mph with me and my boy is 20 mph, with family 18mph), Family and I have enjoyed going to the lake, so it is time to give her a new start. Forgive me on my computer ignorance. Trying to transfer pictures from ipad to computer or samsung to computer...
Starboard boat (pre).jpg
Starboard boat (pre).jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
256x256_fit_one_bestfit (14) (Custom).jpg
256x256_fit_one_bestfit (14) (Custom).jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
front inside (Custom).jpg
front inside (Custom).jpg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 11336 times
furnitur rails off.jpg
Pulled it in the garage, yanked it off the trailer and removed her cosmetics
furnitur rails off.jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 11327 times
deck is off (Custom).jpg
deck is off (Custom).jpg (47.85 KiB) Viewed 11327 times
deck off 2.jpg
Had some great help removing the deck
deck off 2.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 11327 times
more pictures on the way. I have plans to extend the front of the boat out to the ends of the toons (about 2'). I would like to extend the back out as well but that would involve moving the motor pod back (at least in my plan).

I welcome ideas comments.

mgarvie

Re: 1988 Bass Buggy winter/Gravity project in New Mexico

#2 Post by mgarvie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Keep up the posts. I have the same boat but in a 1986 model. Waiting to see how it turns out.

Ercarp

#3 Post by Ercarp » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:31 am

you got it! I have really enjoyed reading other rebuilds, and hope mine will turn out half as good as those.

I did not have a chance to do a whole lot this last weekend. I found some "c" channel local to add a floor stringer to the front in order to extend the front out another two feet. For some reason I got a wild hair and started extending the back of the deck. I unbolted the engine pod and moved it back about two feet. I will need to add some more stringers for the floor and engine support (I will add pictures later today). I am excited, those two additions are essentially going to give me 4 more feet of floor space. The one big concern I have is that moving the engine pod back, I have really changed the balance and that thing is going to sit LOW in the water. I may have a solution to that! I found a guy in phoenix who is selling pontoon logs, I am headed there this weekend to pick one up. So I think the new plan is going to try and build a tritoon with the engine pod on the middle tune (similiar to liquid asset's rebuild).
Last edited by Ercarp on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RcgTexas

#4 Post by RcgTexas » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:39 am

OHHHH yea ! you got it, its a sickness that is incurable. I had it too(still do but its in remission).

You start out with a new decking and upgrade of furniture. next thing you know its a third toon and a new larger motor and its off to the races! :thumbsup We will be waiting to hear about the new motor! :biggrin2
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

Ercarp

#5 Post by Ercarp » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:26 am

hah! you took the words right out of my mouth. I currently have a 70 hp Johnson on her right now. couple weeks ago I picked up an early 80's model bass boat with a 115 hp mariner (tower of power). I paid $300 bones for it with a trailer, brought it home and engine fired up. the plan with that is to pull the motor, dump the boat, and sale the trailer. with the new log coming I will feel a little more comfortable putting the 115 on the buggy.

Ercarp

#6 Post by Ercarp » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:32 pm

motor inset original.jpg
This is the "before" image of the engine pod
motor inset original.jpg (61.83 KiB) Viewed 11173 times
motor pod moved back.jpg
This is the "after" image. The engine pod has been moved back about two feet
motor pod moved back.jpg (60.59 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
engine pod back #2.jpg
engine pod back #2.jpg (87.99 KiB) Viewed 11164 times
I don't expect to do much over the next week, maybe untangle/redo some wiring order the floor, until I get the third toon.

mgarvie

#7 Post by mgarvie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:55 am

You're making some changes I wondered about once, but let the thought pass as being too expensive or too much work. Now you got me thinking about them again. I was starting to replace my deck but I think I'll wait a bit and see what you come up with. Just a couple questions for you and the forum.

If you kept the original engine pod and just moved it back what effect would it have on the boat? Would moving a outboard, two batteries, and a 13 gallon gas tank back two feet lower the back and raise the front alot? After raising the motor up to a new level, what difference in performance would you have?

What source are you using for the new railing and deck trim? I'm guessing you're replacing or extending them. For me that would be the biggest expense.

Post LOTS of pictures, I may just follow in your foot steps.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#8 Post by lakerunner » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:08 am

Are you going to re-trailer? Those models were bad about being tongue light
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Ercarp

#9 Post by Ercarp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 am

I will certainly stay on the pics. If i was not adding a third pontoon (with current engine pod/transom welded into into it), moving the engine back would definitely lower the pontoons in the water. By how much I do not know. My two batteries and two 6.5 gallon tanks probably would have found a new home (tanks under the back couch seat and batteries as far forward as I can put them). I have no idea what kind of performance change I will get out of moving the engine back (I would guess little to none...the headache of moving the engine up?), my only purpose of moving the engine back is to get more deck space. My original plan with the boat was to just flip it and make a little pocket cash. Then I made the mistake of taking it to the lake...over and over and over again. So the next plan was to rebuild it sell it and buy a bigger one. The wife was all for this plan, but she did not want to be without a boat for any length of time. So now the pan is to make this a bigger one, use it till we can afford a new boat.

As far as new railing, I am not sure yet. Possibly buy 1.25 aluminum tube and splice in, or move playpen all the way back and have 4 foot of fishing/diving/bowfishing up front. We thought we would wait to order furniture (from pontoon stuff.com using the 10% discount from this forum) until the carpet was on. That way we could place the playpen we have and make cardboard templates of furniture.

As far as the boat goes this week, not much progress. I pulled the engine off (hopefully will have a chance to build a simple engine stand tonight). possibly going to untangle the wiring and start re-wiring.

As of now this is what I have into the boat just FYI.

Boat -$1500
Misc tune up/fixes for boat -$500
New carpet, glue, fastners -$350
Third pontoon (minus expenses for travel) - $500
estimated expenses for furniture/rail/electrical/etc. -$2000
Welding???????????? -?

Crap! when I type those numbers out, I am blowing my budget out of the water (as it where). I will probably go over this amount...What can you do? it all boils down to being a memory maker with the family.

Comstocker

#10 Post by Comstocker » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:41 am

Ercarp wrote:What can you do? it all boils down to being a memory maker with the family.
One of my favorite sayings, "We didn't know we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun!"

I just finished my pontoon rebuild this past summer, spent a little more than initially planned as well! But the rest of the summer on the water was well worth it!
Ken McMillan
Mayor of 100' of Paradise on Comstock Lake

Ercarp

#11 Post by Ercarp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 am

as of now I plan on trying to work with the trailer I have. You are right it is VERY tongue light. My plan is to move the front bump stop on trailer as far forward as I can and rebuild the steps off the side and hopefully I can make it work.

Ercarp

#12 Post by Ercarp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:58 pm

third log 1.jpg
third log 1.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 10934 times
third log 2.jpg
third log 2.jpg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
Took a trip to phoenix picked up a third log. It is a right sided 25" diameter 22 foot log from a 2013 harris float boat. It was taking on water and replaced by the Harris dealership.
third log strapped to boat 1.jpg
third log strapped to boat 1.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 10935 times
third log strapped to boat 2.jpg
third log strapped to boat 2.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 10934 times
third log strapped 3.jpg
third log strapped 3.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 10919 times
Question for the day...do I remove the strake or add one to the other side? If I add one, what are my options for getting the material?
third log 1.jpg
third log 1.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 10914 times
Attachments
remove strake or add another.jpg
remove strake or add another.jpg (29.96 KiB) Viewed 10919 times

RcgTexas

#13 Post by RcgTexas » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:50 am

Question for the day...do I remove the strake or add one to the other side? If I add one, what are my options for getting the material?
Add one if at all possible, but with the Motor you have you may not see any gain or improvement.
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

Ercarp

#14 Post by Ercarp » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks for the info. I am thinking I will keep it and add another. I contacted Harris company, to ask about ordering a strake all by itself, they directed me to go through a dealership. They said all I needed was the Hull ID number :scared and they should be able to order it. Other option is to find the material and a shop that can handle bending it.

I do believe you are correct with my current motor. Budget limitations are going to force me to stick with what I have for now.

Ercarp

#15 Post by Ercarp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:01 am

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving holiday.

I will try to get pictures up later today, to bring everyone up to speed. Trying to measure and figure compound angles from the transom and transfer those to a round and cylindrical log is a mind twisting chore! At some point in that process (probably after a few adult beverages) I decided I was done trying to get the perfect line and broke out the sawzall. It was not a pretty sight. I ended up making 50+ cuts around that thing each time the aluminum slices became smaller and smaller, until the grinder came out. Finally, the transom fits snug as a bug. It is ready for the welder (if I can find a reasonably priced one).

I put the center log back on the boat, with the transom in place, at its approximate final location and realized that the engine is going to be too far back (wait for the picture). The center log is 22', the right and left logs are 20'. My goal was to get the engine a little further back (about 2'), into "clean water". However, I left the transom hanging out past the center log about 6-7" (was an arbitrary guess to start my measuring). You will see in the pictures, I have 2 feet of extra log (past side logs) and anther 6-7 inches before the engine, the engine is about 20" long front to back. From eyeballing it, it looks like it is a mile out from the back of the boat, from the back of the playpen to the back of the engine it is about 4'. I realize pictures will make a world of difference and will wait for comments until then, but it sure seems to me that it is TOO far back.

I have a couple of options. 1)weld it up as is, then trim the transom up tight to the log and re-weld transom/engine plate. 2)move the center long forward of the outside logs. 3) both of the above. What are the draw backs to having the center log forward of the outside logs? What are the draw backs to having the engine too far back?