1988 Bass Buggy winter/Gravity project in New Mexico

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ercarp

Re: 1988 Bass Buggy winter/Gravity project in New Mexico

#106 Post by Ercarp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:50 am

Your on the same thought track as I am. I am not sure what a rebuild would cost, have not really looked into it. I am not very familiar with two strokes either. The problem with the rebuild, on the outside it seems like a good solution but in reality I have never done one although I am certain I can follow directions and do it, I am not certain it will run after the rebuild. Not real sure they have valves, I think they have reeds (reed valves). A rebuild is definitely an option...probably a winter project. Until then I will put around with the 70 and watch for someone selling a boat with a 150 on it (actually I am eyeballing one now, it is a newer V6 mercury 150 2 stroke).

Ercarp

Re: 1988 Bass Buggy winter/Gravity project in New Mexico

#107 Post by Ercarp » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:19 pm

Man-o-man it has been a while...so much to say. The merc 150 did not work out, and did not choose to to rebuild it. Have been running the Johnson 70, top speed 18 mph. Found a 125 force in the last couple months that has needed a lot of "re-hab" , it is running good compression at 110 on all 4 and pushing the pontoon 25 mph at 4400 rpm. Still fiddling with different pitches on the prop

Still planning on a 150 power plant, but until I find the right one the force is with me (no pun intended). Took the prop ( 12.5 X 19 ) to the local prop shop to lower the pitch... we will see what it does. Plan is to put strake s on the outer toons, and see how it does.

I have a mid 80's mariner 150 ( needs a rebuild). I want this pontoon to hit 30 mph!!