New Seats & Motor?

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

BobbyBoSox

New Seats & Motor?

#1 Post by BobbyBoSox » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:47 am

Good morning,
I am new to this forum.
A few years ago, the in-laws gave us their pontoon boat. We love it. It is perfect for the family.
Unfortunately it needed "Bout another thousand" right away.

The vinyl to the seats was very dry and cracked.
Finally 2 summers ago, some field mice got in there and finished the job on the seats and seat backs.
I guess all the vinyl guys in our town are way too busy because none of them want the job. Got 1 quote for over $5k!

Then, I found Pontoonstuff.com and found I could order all new seats for cheaper.
Is this a good road to go down? Are there alternatives?

It is a Suntracker. Made in 1989? I believe. I have no idea how to find the model #.
PG1593 is the EXACT layout of my seats. I have to double check the measurements.

The captains chair is very different. My chair is double sided.

The other question I have is: How Big a motor can I get?
I have a Mercury 50hp. Very slow but steady.
I would love to be able to take the kids tubing. How big do I need?

Any feedback or help that you wanna offer would be wonderful as I am over my head.

Bamaman

Re: New Seats & Motor?

#2 Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:54 am

You might want to get out your tape measure and see how long the toons are. Then, measure the diameter of the toons. Then get back with us.

As someone that has an old 24' Starcraft pontoon sitting with a 115 hp 2 stroke (and a blown lower unit), I would be very hesitant to put a new motor on such an old boat. And if you've got to invest in new furniture, I'd be looking to sell or scrap the boat.

I have a neighbor with a nice pontoon, but he chunked his old worn out furniture and uses folding lawn chairs for passenger seating. It works, and it's cheap.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

BobbyBoSox

#3 Post by BobbyBoSox » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

[quote="Bamaman"]You might want to get out your tape measure and see how long the toons are. Then, measure the diameter of the toons. Then get back with us.

As someone that has an old 24' Starcraft pontoon sitting with a 115 hp 2 stroke (and a blown lower unit), I would be very hesitant to put a new motor on such an old boat. And if you've got to invest in new furniture, I'd be looking to sell or scrap the boat.

I have a neighbor with a nice pontoon, but he chunked his old worn out furniture and uses folding lawn chairs for passenger seating. It works, and it's cheap.[/quote]

BobbyBoSox

#4 Post by BobbyBoSox » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 am

[quote="Bamaman"]You might want to get out your tape measure and see how long the toons are. Then, measure the diameter of the toons. Then get back with us.

I have a neighbor with a nice pontoon, but he chunked his old worn out furniture and uses folding lawn chairs for passenger seating. It works, and it's cheap.[/quote]

BobbyBoSox

#5 Post by BobbyBoSox » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 am

It is a 20' boat. We have 2' of snow right now so I am probably not trudging out there right now. :)
Isn't a new boat $25k+? My pontoons are in perfect condition. The deck is fine. I have sold/installed carpet in the past so I can do that rather cheap. It won't take me but an afternoon. I have already removed the old seats. I just need to slap new seats in. My current motor works fine, it is just slow. I am pretty sure if I invest $6-8k into my boat, it will perform and function exactly the same as a new boat.

ROLAND

#6 Post by ROLAND » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:51 am

BobbyBoSox...... Look around on the boat, maybe near the throttle handle... there should be a plate on the boat that tells you how much horsepower your boat is rated for. I can tell you I have a 20 foot pontoon and it's rated for a maximum of 75 hp, which is what I have on there..
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

curtiscapk

#7 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 am

yes PS seats are the way to go. If you got the time read my rebuild thread in my sig. "You can do whatever layout you want. Use their boat builder program on their front page. Probably no more than a 75 hp on a 89 PBarge for your motor.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

BobbyBoSox

#8 Post by BobbyBoSox » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:14 am

[quote="ROLAND"]BobbyBoSox...... Look around on the boat, maybe near the throttle handle... there should be a plate on the boat that tells you how much horsepower your boat is rated for. I can tell you I have a 20 foot pontoon and it's rated for a maximum of 75 hp, which is what I have on there..[/quote]

Ah, thank you. As we just got another 9 inches, it may be a few weeks! :)

At 75hp, would I be able to pull a tuber?

BobbyBoSox

#9 Post by BobbyBoSox » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 am

[quote="curtiscapk"]yes PS seats are the way to go. If you got the time read my rebuild thread in my sig. "You can do whatever layout you want. Use their boat builder program on their front page. Probably no more than a 75 hp on a 89 PBarge for your motor.[/quote]

Hey Craig, it looks like you had your hands full but had a lot of fun. I have never seen somebody smile with rusty bolts before! :)
Fortunately, I don't have nearly the problems you had. This boat was bought brand new by the in-laws and kept at Lake Powell, AZ for 25 years.
No water damage, rust, etc that you had.

My buddy and I will have the carpet replaced in 1 day.
It will take me another day to install the seats.
My boat mechanic is 1/2 mile from me. I think I am going to trade in my 50hp he sold me (Used), have him install a 75 hp, and have him do the hook up of the steering column at the same time.
The column is the one thing that worries me. I have never torn apart anything like that.
Do the columns normally come with a new steering wheel?

Did your seats come with the speakers?

I love how you have a rear-walk thru to the back. Where that is on yours, I have a pop-up bathroom that I hate but the wifey won't let me get rid of it.

Anybody know if they make a pop-up bathroom that goes over the water? :)

I like what you did with your rear compartment covers. Mine were originally vinyled. I was going to have a vinyl guy do it but now I am just going to carpet wrap 'em!

I noticed your buddies toon on page 17. It looks alot like mine. We have double bimini covers also. They are kind of a pain in the butt but I love the coverage. Something you really need out west. I think his toon is bigger though because I noticed he has PS seats on his and the front ones appear bigger. My toon has the front deck area beyond the gate also where we have a plug for a gas grill.

Thanks for all the feedback! It is very helpful!