Adding a 3rd log with transom

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Polaris192

Adding a 3rd log with transom

#1 Post by Polaris192 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:46 am

I'm looking to add a center toon with a transom. My boat is a 22' Bennington 2275 lx with 25" logs. The center toon will be 23' and 25" with lifting strakes. I have a few questions.
Should lifting strakes be added to the outer toons?
How can the max capacities plate be changed for a larger engine and weight? My insurance man (State Farm) told me if I go over the max h.p. And had a claim they could deny it.
How much lower do I set the center toon than the outside ones?

Thanks,
Tim
2000 Bennington 2275 lx
125 h.p. Mercury

ron nh

Re: Adding a 3rd log with transom

#2 Post by ron nh » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:01 am

Most manufacturers only drop the center toon 1", Manitou's outer toons are 2" smaller though. I don't know if i'd ad strakes unless I was 100% confident in the person doing it. I believe you had to go through the Cost Guard in the past for new weight restrictions, but lately I've heard of manufacturers giving out new stickers to some people who've done it right, It's hard for me to believe it but I've heard it from at least 3 people in the last year. I would contact Bennington, they'll probably refer you to Cost Guard I would imagine.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:12 am

If the center toon has lifting strakes, they'll probably get your nosecone out of the water. In that case, I wouldn't add lifting strakes as welding on relatively thin metal might cause leaking problems.

Sounds as if you need to get specific marine insurance elsewhere. State Farm's not pushing boat insurance, and I found them to be not competitive in either terms or rates.

When you add the third toon, just remove the plate. You're well within the 150 hp or more rating that boat would have.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

BobG

#4 Post by BobG » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:26 pm

The dealer added the third toon to my 24' Tahoe.
The manufacturer (Tahoe) just sent me a new data plate for the boat with a third toon.
I believe it took it from 150 HP max to 200 HP max.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

Rick McC.

#5 Post by Rick McC. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:44 pm

[quote="Bamaman"]If the center toon has lifting strakes, they'll probably get your nosecone out of the water. In that case, I wouldn't add lifting strakes as welding on relatively thin metal might cause leaking problems.

Sounds as if you need to get specific marine insurance elsewhere. State Farm's not pushing boat insurance, and I found them to be not competitive in either terms or rates.

When you add the third toon, just remove the plate. You're well within the 150 hp or more rating that boat would have.[/quote]

I had State Farm boat insurance for over 15 years, and dumped them for Progressive about five years ago, when they wanted to double my premiums when I'd never filed the first claim.

I got much better coverage for less $$.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

BobG

#6 Post by BobG » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:23 pm

I have AmFam for my ...everything.

Here's the big kicker though:

When I gave them a copy of my BoatUS Boating Safety Course Certificate, they shaved $275 off the cost.

Take the online BoatUS course. Save a bundle.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

ChrisBama

#7 Post by ChrisBama » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:54 pm

I want to add a center toon to my 20' pontoon. I will do the installation. I'm looking for a used or scratch and dent 25" diameter about 20' center toon plus built in transom and strakes? Close to Colorado as possible? Know of any?
I haven't found a way to get a updated hp capacity, and was told by multiple manufactures they do not recommend it and would not do it or supply a capacity plate/sticker. Most manufactures say they won't replace a original plate or sticker and to contact USCG or the state. The USCG and state say contact the manufacture.
I don't want a lot of hp or speed but the current capacity is 80 hp. I was thinking 150 hp would be more than I need but want enough to over come the extra weight and center toon.
How/Where do You get an updated capacity plate/sticker?
Thanks, Any recommendations or information would be great?

steve1313

#8 Post by steve1313 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:05 am

BobG wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:23 pm
I have AmFam for my ...everything.

Here's the big kicker though:

When I gave them a copy of my BoatUS Boating Safety Course Certificate, they shaved $275 off the cost.

Take the online BoatUS course. Save a bundle.

Unless boat insurance is crazy expensive in your area, or your overinsured by a LOT, I think you're paying way too much for your insurance. My boat is a 2017 Tritoon (23') with a Yamaha 150. It's insured for $40k absolute value. I only pay $235 a year. Sounds like you're paying a lot more than that, or at least you were before they dropped your cost by $275.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia