Pontoon polishing/sealing

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

BiXLL

Pontoon polishing/sealing

#1 Post by BiXLL » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:29 am

Have been away from pontoons for a few years. Is the standard for clean/polish seal pontoons still as it was?

1 acid wash
2 buff polish
3 seal with Sharkshide.

In starting my research this time around, I came accross a product called Gords that is a all in one
http://www.gordsaluminumpolish.com/

Has anybody used this? If not, what is the recommended polish, Sharkshide or is there something better?
2013 South Bay 522CR tritoon
2013 Yamaha 115

Bamaman

Re: Pontoon polishing/sealing

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Try to avoid the acid wash unless other methods don't properly clean the toon. If you have algae on the bottom, it may be required.

I keep my Bennie hanging in a boathouse out of the water. I just polish mine around the end of May every year.

Sharkhide requires the boat be completely clean after polishing. It's just too much work to get the black oxide out of the cracks and welds to avoid black smudges in the Sharkhide. But with a dual action polisher with a wool bonnet, I can polish the outside toons and the nosecones in probably an hour or so.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

BiXLL

#3 Post by BiXLL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:51 am

Mine is in the river docked from May to October. I do get quite a build up, so pretty surre the acid wash is going to be a must. 1 day I hope to be in a psoition to be able to have a lift also.
2013 Yamaha 115

sunedog

#4 Post by sunedog » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:03 am

[quote="Bamaman"]Try to avoid the acid wash unless other methods don't properly clean the toon. If you have algae on the bottom, it may be required.[/quote]

Do you think acid washing removes a significant amount of aluminum? Or is there another reason you suggest to avoid it?

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:56 pm

I wouldn't want to use acid based cleaners year after year. The aluminum is marginally thick to begin with.

But taking a dull, clean boat to a very shiny finish may require removal of a very thin layer of aluminum. And dull to bright is more work than I would want to do more than one time.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

BiXLL

#6 Post by BiXLL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 pm

I acid washed my last pontoon every spring with no bad results. It's not like you are putting sizzling. Acid on something. I don't believe you could even register the. Amount of aluminum you would loose from a product like Nappa aluminum brightener or Starbright aluminum cleaner.
2013 Yamaha 115