Deck sound isolation

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Music2Joe

Deck sound isolation

#1 Post by Music2Joe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:06 pm

I have my boat torn down to "studs" for a floor re-do. Using Vinyl. I am in the sound business and am very aware of sound issues. Firstly I am losing the sound dampening of carpet - so vinyl will transmit engine noise more. Is there any type of sound isolation available to mount between flooring and cross beams? This would help quite a bit with sound transmission. A couple of manufacturers talk about their sound isolated floors - any idea what they use? thanks

teecro

Re: Deck sound isolation

#2 Post by teecro » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Don't add anything under the floor that even remotely looks like insulation. the best addition to deaden sound would be under skinning the cross members with thin alum sheet.
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

PenBayCruiser

#3 Post by PenBayCruiser » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:50 pm

I agree with Teecro do not add anything between decking and cross members. The decking is integral to the stiffness of the boat. Isolating you engine from the passenger space will be more effective; engine box or sundeck. From my experience going through the air at much over 15-20 mph drowns out most other sounds.

Henpecked

#4 Post by Henpecked » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:28 pm

As said, the deck provides structural rigidity. You might can put padding between the deck and the vinyl. Just make sure it’s a material that won’t absorb moisture. A sun deck over the motor might block some noise as well.