I/O or Outboard Engine

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dmc456

I/O or Outboard Engine

#1 Post by dmc456 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Looking for a pontoon and wonder which engine people would recommend. Ignoring the fact that you have to winterize an inboard which one would you prefer? I keep mine indoors.

I'm looking for a 28-30 party barge setup and wanted to know what engine I should get.

I'm looking at a I/O with 140 or 225 hp

or

I/O with 115 - 150 HP.

I want something that is fuel efficient cruising at 10-14 mph and is quiet! I want to be able to go fast if needed like a storm but don't plan on screaming around the water all day.

Let me know what you would do and then why. Thanks

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: I/O or Outboard Engine

#2 Post by lakerunner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Only reason I am outboard only is I am disabled and can't into tight areas to service.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:45 pm

I would suggest you just go a modern 4 stroke outboard and go a tritoon with lifting strakes over just a pontoon.

The I/O's in a pontoon are very heavy, and an outboard is just better suited for a pontoon. I/O's are fine when you buy them, but they're a pain when the bellow start to age. They're just more complicated.

I had two I/O's over the years with substantial trouble out of both. I also had a Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke motor that I spent only $241 maintenance in 27 years usage.

When I go past boat graveyards, most of what I see is fiberglass boats with I/O's. Many were not winterized properly, and died a cracked block.

Modern 4 stroke outboards are just so durable, and very often trouble free. And I just love my Yamaha F150.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

LocoCoco

#4 Post by LocoCoco » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 am

^ I agree.

Back in the 2-stroke outboard days, I/Os were valued for being quiet and fuel efficient. But today, modern 4-strokes are just as quiet and fuel efficient. And of course they're still lighter, smaller and can be tilted out of the water (especially nice in saltwater). So the only advantages I can see with an I/O is in some cases a full width swim platform is nice, and they're cheaper (cheaper in runabouts, not sure about pontoons).

With money as no object, I'd definitely go outboard. I'm young and even I hate crawling into an engine bay to do maintenance and oil changes on an I/O. And don't forget about the PITA job replacing bellows in the outdrive. If a bellow tears and leaks, your boat sinks. (But I guess a pontoon wouldn't sink, but would still swamp your engine.)

LC.
'06 Odyssey 222C (Tritoon conversion) + '06 Suzuki 40 = Never lose your hat.

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#5 Post by badmoonrising » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 am

I've had both outboards and I/Os. Never had any problems with my I/Os at all, just maintenance is cramped. The 3.0 4 cylinder Mercruisers are bulletproof. As I got older and had less time, liking the outboard a bit better.

Best thing about an I/O is the motors last longer, but require more maintenance. The bellows for one thing, MUST be replaced every 3-5 years. If you don't have closed cooling and live in an area with cold winters, you also have to winterize.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

jafo9

#6 Post by jafo9 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:48 pm

one of the main reasons why we didn't like having an i/o was the noise. our 3.0 iron maiden was very noisy. our current honda ob is much quieter. i do like winterization better, tilt down, kill battery, walk away.
2003 Premier Grand Majestic 250 PTX Honda 225 OB (PTX baby!)
2002 MasterCraft X30
2007 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki SXR800
2004 Yamaha SuperJet
1989 Kawasaki 650sx
Lewis Smith Lake, Alabama

Xcursion

#7 Post by Xcursion » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:46 pm

I have had I/o's for the last 20 or so yrs...never in a pontoon ... This is my first pontoon boat and I swore when i sold my last boat , i would do everything i could to not own another Inboard or I/O .... The crawling around in a bilge to change a waterpump impeller or getting around all sides of the engine are just rediculouse anymore...Granted , alot of the new motors will require a computer and an engine hoist to work on anymore....I still went outboard... I'm 20 hours into this adventure and so far can't find anything negative.... I have the merc 150 fourstroke and its quiet , efficient and has enough guts to move us along quite nicely.... pulls the kids and adults around on the towables .... and did i mention its quiet..

Again , none of of us are setting the water on fire or recording any speed records for the most part... Soo i say enjoy all the parts of a pontoon...one of the biggest to me was ease of maintainence ... and the O.B. so far has followed suit .... And you get to stand up straight when your working on it....

Mike
2014 Xcursion 25 RFE
2014 Merc 150 four stroke

TDJ2591

#8 Post by TDJ2591 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:08 pm

jafo9,
What part of Smith are you located on? I was there yesterday looking at a nice used dock, but I was a few minutes late calling the seller. While I was at the lake, another guy was told I was interested and quickly bought it. Two other docks I was interested in this year sold before I even got to look at them. Unfortunately, I live 2 hrs away.
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]

Liberty MO

#9 Post by Liberty MO » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 am

There is no replacement for displacement. If you want a 496, the I/O is the way to go. :nana
Sam
2013 Sun Tracker Regency 254 pt3 w/ Mercury 200 Pro XS
Smithville Lake, MO

pond tuuunes

#10 Post by pond tuuunes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 pm

other than changing spark plugs once a year, I dont see the maintenance issues. sea pump is on the front of the engine,oil change is easy, takes less than a 1/2 hr to winterize. and I have yet to see a 670 hp outboard. :nana JT
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

Drago

#11 Post by Drago » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:21 pm

When we tested pontoons before buying, the only I/O we got to drive was a fully featured Premier PTX with a Volvo Penta drive and a 225hp V6. I was most disappointed with the vibration at cruise speeds just above the engine compartment. If the dealer could have gotten us an outboard, we would be in a Premier PTX instead of our Bennington. The Yammi F225 is silky smooth and really quiet.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

rockhound

#12 Post by rockhound » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:44 pm

i have had both,

the riviera cruiser has a 3.0 lx

lets just say that the po did not do his maintenance and a month into this deal i am finding all the things that were neglected. that being said i am an old school mechanic and working on the i/o in this toon is a breeze. lots of room and i can reach most of it just by removing the outer engine cover.

this week i will be replacing the bellows, gimbal bearing etc. although it is a pain to have to do it the boat will never see salt water so i am expecting lots of years out of the service. the boat kept dry and warm on the trailer it is way easier to winterize this boat than my outboard, i can reach all the fittings in about 30 seconds.

I can buy parts at the auto parts store. it is way quieter than my last outboard (it was a 2 smoke 175)

Here is the kicker, i have the skills to rebuild her if necessary, i would not attempt that with an outboard, a brand new engine would run me $2300 if necessary, $1550 for a reman, compare that to a brand new 140hp 4 stroke out board at what $9,500-11,000.

Although i can install either myself, the long term possibility of spending a lot more on a new engine than the boat is worth at this time does not appeal to me.

The i/o is heavy, and i am sure the boat would be faster with a comparable hp outboard, i would look at the boat and see how the i/o is setup and how easy it is to service, mine is way easier than any i/o in a runabout.
An over forty victim of fate....

Obama: finally gone, MAGA