zinc anode

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

KylefromNJ

zinc anode

#1 Post by KylefromNJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:39 pm

hi guys, my toon is in brackish/sea water 6 months out of the year (non trailered out). Is it advisable to install zinc anodes? if so, can anyone give me some points on what to buy and how to install it?

thanks.

Gonefishing

Re: zinc anode

#2 Post by Gonefishing » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:13 pm

Yes it is a good thing to do. You can attach them to the bracket on the rear of you toons. Most toons have a bracket on the rear of them.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

KylefromNJ

#3 Post by KylefromNJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 pm

thanks another question. I've seen some zinc on sale that has a copper wire attached. I thought copper and aluminum are bad for each other. Is there any type of zinc I need to attach to the bracket in back of toon? also wouldn't it be covered entirely in slime and barnacles after a while? would it still work then?

would something like this work for a toon?

http://www.amazon.com/Martyr-Alloy-Merc ... _sg_text_y

Thanks.

Gonefishing

#4 Post by Gonefishing » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:49 am

As for what kind I didn't know there were differnt kind. I got my from the local marine shop were I have my boat serviced. About the copper never seen one like that. But yes I know that you do not want to use any kind of paint on the toon that has copper in it. As for the copper wire again I don't know. The alge from the water will not interfere with the zink. I use my toon in brackish and saltwater all year and I keep my toon docked 9 months out of the year I have zinks on the toon and I also have had them painted. No problems at all, in the past another toon I had I kept it in the water only problem I had was barnical and would take it out ever two weeks to clean them. They were not painted that is why I had the toons on the new one painted.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch