Sun Tracker 32 difference btwn 115 and 150 hp?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bncrshr77

Sun Tracker 32 difference btwn 115 and 150 hp?

#1 Post by bncrshr77 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi All!

New to the forum and looking at being new to pontoon boats!

We live near a sweet lake in NW NM and I'm really thinking about getting a pontoon with enclosed cabin. We plan on spending quite a few nights on the boat and I would also like to be able to pull a skier or tuber if possible and of course a ton of fishing while anchored up!

I totally understand that the Party Cruiser 32 isn't meant for speed at all but the one I'm looking at has a 115 on it and the tracker folks told me today that 150 is the MAX on a 2011.

Would there be any reason to find the bigger motor of will the difference even be noticeable? Can't really find any actual speeds the boats are reaching online.

Thanks,
--Tom--

mpilot

Re: Sun Tracker 32 difference btwn 115 and 150 hp?

#2 Post by mpilot » Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Two toon or tritoon and does it have lifting strakes? I don't think those had strakes but want to make sure before I give my input.

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Tue May 23, 2017 2:57 am

The Party Cruiser 32' is a party boat with a 2 toon displacement hull. There's virtually no way that a boat that large has the capabilities to plane off and go very fast--no matter how much horsepower you add to it.

If you want to do water sports, you'll need to go with a shorter pontoon or tritoon with lifting strakes on the hull and 150 hp or more.

The Party Cruiser is more of a poor man's houseboat meant to be anchored in one place. And they're pretty rare since production of such units has been stopped.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

bncrshr77

#4 Post by bncrshr77 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 am

Thanks for the replies! I was hoping that there was some miracle answer for the cruiser but I guess there isn't. I will start looking into tritoons a bit and see if there is something that I could turn in to a decent sleepable boat and still get a bit more speed out of it. Maybe a bit shorter toon and a smaller enclosed area.

Bamby

#5 Post by Bamby » Tue May 23, 2017 5:40 am

Another consideration would be the fact that the operator wouldn't have a rearward clear line of sight to observe the people being pulled. Even with a spotter for them to truly observe progress they would need to be behind the cabin and everyone would be shouting to one another to be heard. A better solution would be taking the money that would be spent for a re-power and pick up a two or three person jet ski with enough ass to pull the toys and provide them a good ride.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Rick McC.

#6 Post by Rick McC. » Tue May 23, 2017 8:30 am

[quote="Bamby"]Another consideration would be the fact that the operator wouldn't have a rearward clear line of sight to observe the people being pulled. Even with a spotter for them to truly observe progress they would need to be behind the cabin and everyone would be shouting to one another to be heard. A better solution would be taking the money that would be spent for a re-power and pick up a two or three person jet ski with enough ass to pull the toys and provide them a good ride.[/quote]

I think that's a great solution that allows for keeping the present boat.

I'd love to have one of those!
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

mpilot

#7 Post by mpilot » Tue May 23, 2017 3:20 pm

You can always have a canvas enclosure made for the boat. We Have one that came from the factory. It has isinglass on all sides and the side panels, front and rear door all have screen so you can roll down the isinglass and get some ventilation. Throw an air mattress in between the seats and you are good to go.

bncrshr77

#8 Post by bncrshr77 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks again for the replies!

I do have a jet ski designed for pulling skiers so that part of it is already taken care of!

After doing more research and listening to what you guys are saying I'm leaning more towards just buying a tritoon platform and seeing what it turns into!

Been looking at a few platforms that folks have mounted an A-frame style camper to with great results... With the camper closed I would be able to see out the back just fine and have a ton less wind resistance.

Drago

#9 Post by Drago » Thu May 25, 2017 5:37 pm

One word. Tapfins :thumbsup
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

kenbob62

#10 Post by kenbob62 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:13 pm

I have just installed a 250 optimax on my party cruiser,still breaking in the engine,i have not installed the strakes yet,but in a test run we already hit 22 mph,now currently installing underskinning,i beefed up the transom,added third toon,12 inch jack plate,were not looking to set speed records I wanted more power due to large bay we cruise with busy boat traffic and the sudden storms that we have encountered,
Attachments
IMG_0524;l.JPG
IMG_0524;l.JPG (551.67 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
kenny...2005 32 ft party cruiser ,2005 silverado 6.0 4x4 what a long strange trip its been

RonKMiller

#11 Post by RonKMiller » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:16 am

[quote="bncrshr77"]Thanks again for the replies!

I do have a jet ski designed for pulling skiers so that part of it is already taken care of!

After doing more research and listening to what you guys are saying I'm leaning more towards just buying a tritoon platform and seeing what it turns into!

Been looking at a few platforms that folks have mounted an A-frame style camper to with great results... With the camper closed I would be able to see out the back just fine and have a ton less wind resistance.[/quote]

I'm the guy that mounted a 2,000 lb., 16 foot Chalet A-frame trailer on an old 28 ft. twin toon Party Hut with a 90hp motor. Actually it was a 2.5 log rig, and I ended up at maximum capacity for flotation. It needed a third full sized log to make it run REALLY well. Before the addition of the third log I was plowing the water, now I'm able to get the front of the logs on plane - an incredible difference in performance, speed and fuel economy.

I can't see over the top of my trailer folded - taller than you might think since it's mounted on the axles - I have two rear view mirrors for the purpose. Backing up is a challenge without a spotter.

While it sounds simple, I had to do literally HUNDREDS of modifications starting with a blank platform and re-purposing many of the original components. It took a year working on it pretty much full time. I get it Coast Guard certified every year.

It sounds like you will rarely be using overnight accommodations, while I have lived on mine for up to two months at time since it's a fully equipped RV, including air conditioning.

You may want to consider a SMALL hard sided folding A frame trailer. I would stay away from any "Pop-ups" with canvas, simply because you'll be replacing that canvas often if you use it a lot and they suck in bad weather. With a small A-frame you'll be able to have a better view around the sides and over the top when folded - which I DON'T have. You of course will give up a lot of luxury features - but you'll have a wind and water proof enclosure that will make you VERY happy during your first wind or thunderstorm event.

A high quality 8 person expedition style dome tent like those made by North Face for mountaineering ($6K) will serve you well - as long as it is securely anchored to the deck. The $150.00 ones at Costco will fall apart during your first weather event, guaranteed.

Good luck on finding what works best for you, but remember you will REALLY enjoy the ability to pull over and camp wherever and whenever you want - away from other people. You'll end up using it a lot more than you expect. :)