Creative cover installation tips for the old and lazy ,,,

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

lounge lizard

Creative cover installation tips for the old and lazy ,,,

#1 Post by lounge lizard » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pm

My wife noted I bitch a lot about after boating chores such as salt rinse and putting the cover back on. I have a universal cover and use 3 support poles to make a water runoff tent. Im trying to think of a creative way to insert the poles after installing the cover to avoid crawling back into the boat. I finally got a better system for dragging the cover on and off rather than rolling it up and out every time. Im not a big fan of making a cage out of pvc, ect,, but I know many people make it work for them. I just dont know how I would drag the cover over that by myself,,
Yeah,,Im whining a bit,,but looking for ideas on how some of you guys save time and make things easier,,,
99 Voyager 21' fish n cruise /Merc 115
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Honda/Polaris
Motorized advocate in Colo. CMTRA, our local club.
www.cmtrail.org come visit!

joe20toon

Re: Creative cover installation tips for the old and lazy ,,,

#2 Post by joe20toon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 pm

'Covering' the boat - the worst part of leaving the lakes...

_________
2016 20 foot Sylvan RPT (V Pontoons)
Yamaha Vmax SHO 115HP
80 Pound Thrust RipTide Trolling Motor
Humminbird Helix 7 Side Imaging

OCBray

#3 Post by OCBray » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:30 am

Not sure if you are on a lift or trailer. If you leave it on a lift. you might look into one of these.

http://www.midwestboatcovers.com

guy48065

#4 Post by guy48065 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:31 am

[quote="lounge lizard"]...Im trying to think of a creative way to insert the poles after installing the cover to avoid crawling back into the boat...[/quote]

Are your arms 6 feet long?

Yeah I feel like a fool crawling in & out of that tiny front door, under the edge of the cover, but I don't see any other way.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

urbnsr

#5 Post by urbnsr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 am

When we first started boating, I wasn't sure of the best way to do this and was told to get used to crawling in/under the cover to insert the poles. We never did that. I'm old and lazy.

I layout the poles first and as we install the cover (from back to front), I insert the poles as we go - while standing.

The only time I crawl under the cover is when I realize I forgot something after covering. The importance of that forgotten item is usually weight against the action of crawling. See above - I'm old and lazy...

HTH
Paul
Paul

Tooner606

#6 Post by Tooner606 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:39 am

I do just as urbnsr does.

When uncovering the boat, I start from the front and roll the cover back, unsnapping it on both sides as I go. I remove each pole (I have 6) as it is exposed. When covering, I start from the back and roll the cover back out snapping it along the sides as I go, inserting and setting up each pole when I get to it's "socket."

I'm so lazy that I have even gone as far as to number each pole, and because they are expandable, I have each one marked at the proper length for it's position on the boat.

Each way takes me a bout 3 minutes and I never have to leave my feet.

KPC

lounge lizard

#7 Post by lounge lizard » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 am

Thanks guys!! I used to roll my original cover also and do that. Now Im using a universal and that damn thing is too big to roll. Im considering a tv and mini fridge in the boat so I can hang out after I stick the poles in to make the crawl worthwhile. I need to modify one of those extended grabber bars and make it about 4' long and stronger,,, :)
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Honda/Polaris

NonHyphenAmerican

#8 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 pm

I just had the idea pop into my head of using a rope & pulley assembly or an electric winch like I use to take the top off my Bronco with to raise and lower a "Cover" that has some pvc pipe or aluminum ribs down onto the boat.

Kinda like a hot tub cover only big enough to cover the boat and on a cable to raise/lower it onto the boat.

Something like this:

http://998dock.com/canopies/touchless/
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

lounge lizard

#9 Post by lounge lizard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Not a bad idea!!!!! I have a big oak I park under, but not enough limb! A metal canopy would be nice,, but I have a shed in the way,,,shit never seems easy sometimes,,,, :drink
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Honda/Polaris

BobL

#10 Post by BobL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:23 am

Maybe you could DIY this....like a large bimini top but is really a cover. Maybe rig up some pulleys instead of spending bucks on motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d-RhthPwzw
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

guy48065

#11 Post by guy48065 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:29 am

Ya know...I was wondering if there was anything similar to the covers that roll over a garbage truck and BAM there it is!
Unfortunately I don't think it would work out as simple as shown. I have wind on my lake. I'd still have to deal with 100 snaps (feels like 100 at least) and with the cover completely on the boat it would be even harder than snapping it down as I unroll it manually.

But it's such a great idea I'm sure it's hugely popular. Just look at all the glowing comments!

(Sorry--I'm feeling a bit pissy this morning...)
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

old jim

#12 Post by old jim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:34 pm

When I pull my generic cover off ( from the front ) I feed it into a cardboard
barrel. reverse procedure recovering. old jim

old jim

#13 Post by old jim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:34 pm

When I pull my generic cover off ( from the front ) I feed it into a cardboard
barrel. reverse procedure recovering. old jim

fredeboy

#14 Post by fredeboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Here are some pics of how I have been doing mine the last several years and it has worked out great. I went thru all the pvc builds and even the pulley system to raise it but they were all a hassle. Its hard to see in the first pic buy there is a high strength rope that runs from the big oak in the center of the back to the big oak you can just see in the front. I screwed 3 sets of 1 inch conduit clamps down each side and use 3/4 inch pvc pipe which each form an arch same height as the Bimini. I just undo the bungy straps and pull the tarp to the back and leave it suspended on the rope. When I come in I slide it to the front and done. Plenty of room to work inside or camp if mama gets upset!
IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG (88.63 KiB) Viewed 5190 times
IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG (88.63 KiB) Viewed 5190 times
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG (104.07 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
Attachments
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG (161.25 KiB) Viewed 5189 times

yardbird

#15 Post by yardbird » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 am

I like the covered wagon look. :)

This is my first year covering the boat. It came with a "winter cover" that is surprisingly free of mouse chews. It's a generic cover with elastic bottom and straps to tighten and hold down. I knew that simply putting it on would leave big area for water to pool.

I had a 10 foot 2x4 and a couple of those folding saw horse things so I laid a "spine" down the center. Now that it's rained a couple times I can see I should have made it taller (it's barely as tall as the console because that's just how tall they were... I can cut a couple 2x4s into longer legs) and possibly taller in the back than it is in the front. I have PLENTY of extra cover. It says "17 to 19" on the tag on the cover, but it's VERY generous. It comes down to the bottom of the pontoons on both sides so I can probably raise the spine by at LEAST a foot. And for length... it covers the motor down to the cavitation plate and I have a lot of extra material rolled under the front. I'm betting I could come close to covering the winch "tower".

It was really pretty easy to put on by myself, but ... a lot of walking around pulling this and tugging that. And getting it to shed rain is one thing.... how it holds up with snow on it will be something else entirely.