Helm getting some attention

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

Helm getting some attention

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:25 pm

So my pontoon was previously enjoyed by an older couple and when I got it I was able to have a guy replace the floor and get all new furniture. The helm is pretty simple and all he added for me was a tach, a horrible switch for the trim motor, and a switch panel for the lights that he must have had left over from the 70's. The holes for these pieces were cut out by a beaver or someone using a hammer and chisel only.

So anyway.... I purchased a switch panel w/ switches and breakers, got a couple more gauges (fuel and water pressure (the water line was already there so why not)), a radio, a dual battery voltage gauge (i have 2 batteries), and a dual USB charger. The helm isn't too big so once i received the switch panel I was worried. After making the required cuts, moving some things around, I ended up with something that actually works for me:
20190821_104935.jpg
20190821_104935.jpg (305.6 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
(I haven't done any cleaning yet so please don't blast me for it, I was just happy things fit where I wanted them to and snapped the picture)

I have some wiring to do but I'm getting ever so closer to getting her out on the river.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

bansil

Re: Helm getting some attention

#2 Post by bansil » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:30 pm

The dbl arrow switch behind wheel is trim? What a pain, most of those panels you can move switches around
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

onlybillhere

#3 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 pm

bansil wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:30 pm
The dbl arrow switch behind wheel is trim? What a pain, most of those panels you can move switches around
Yes, the double arrow one is the trim switch. Each switch can come out and move around...I haven't decided where all them are going yet, just trying to get the panel in then worry about the switch placement.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:41 am

Side of the throttle would be nice, pontoons tend change speed more and need more adjustment than say a CC going 25 off or further

onlybillhere

#5 Post by onlybillhere » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:58 am

bansil wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:41 am
Side of the throttle would be nice, pontoons tend change speed more and need more adjustment than say a CC going 25 off or further
i wish my throttle had the built in trim switch...that's the way to go. Just something to think about when I get my next pontoon...making a wish list of things.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

steve1313

#6 Post by steve1313 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 am

Nice upgrades! I have the same Rockford head unit and have been happy with it. It's about the most full featured one I could find that was that small.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

onlybillhere

#7 Post by onlybillhere » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:10 am

steve1313 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 am
Nice upgrades! I have the same Rockford head unit and have been happy with it. It's about the most full featured one I could find that was that small.
I was looking at all the different "marine" radios w/ BT and this one just looked better, had the features I wanted, and had sub control for when/if I install the sub on the pontoon.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

FogHorn

#8 Post by FogHorn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 am

How many of you actually find a marine radio useful on inland lakes? How do you find it useful in everyday use?
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O

onlybillhere

#9 Post by onlybillhere » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:49 am

by "Marine" i was more meaning a radio designed for the environment of a boat than one that has a marine band for open waters.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

bansil

#10 Post by bansil » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 pm

FogHorn wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 am
How many of you actually find a marine radio useful on inland lakes? How do you find it useful in everyday use?
We always monitor 16 and so do the marinas, not as effective as at beach, we have lots of fingers,so it stays on 25 watts, if it is needed it is probably life/death. I take it serious.

We don't have CG on this lake, next over does, we have reserves, waiting on clearance to return

TWRA uses 17 and monitors 16, I always do a radio check and answe them on 16, i know....I know...we dont have the traffic.

It is good as back up, it is a tool, let me give you a list we have on board in 2 ditch boxes ( yes, on a lake w/pontoon.

CHART PLOTTER W/MMSI number active (about worthless a safety device on our lake)

Vhf radio with 2 antennas normally, mounted on top of hard top for ht with line of sight.

2 fire extinguishers

Tossable float

2 Air horns mounted, plus 2 hand held backup type

Flares, good dates, vacumm sealed

Large Distress flag

Diver down down flag, and yes it is mounted up top when people are in water, yes I hailed twra one day to slow down in a cove because of the flag and folks in water, they actually appoligized, they are cool

Extra led flashlights, and a couple glow sticks,

Manual compass (our lake is too small)

1 large and small USA flag, at night it is illuminated by mooring light

That may be it, yes over kill to some, not a lot of money to have peace of mind, Someone pm me friday/sat or start a thread, I will empty my crap for a picture

There are other items also