Marine Battery

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

blackberg

Re: Marine Battery

#16 Post by blackberg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:04 pm

I bought my 3 at costco,

had one that was leaking at the top like 2 months later, dont know if it was bad or something fell on it or what, they gave me a cash refund and went and bought the new one from there as well.

no receipt needed like always
-bb

chill'nthemost

#17 Post by chill'nthemost » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:28 pm

blackberg wrote:I bought my 3 at costco,

had one that was leaking at the top like 2 months later, dont know if it was bad or something fell on it or what, they gave me a cash refund and went and bought the new one from there as well.

no receipt needed like always
-bb

it's hard to beat their customer service. like almost everything, you can buy it in dozens of places, it all about the customer service
1998 Sun Tracker Party Barge 25ft, stern drive 3.0 Chevy
Unfortunate member Parent's of Murdered Children

I love my country, it's the government I fear

ROLAND

#18 Post by ROLAND » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:00 am

MH Hawker wrote:i should of spent the time tracking down a delco , thier sealed and you never have to add water or worrie over a acid leak
Hawker, glad you had good success with delco, but I have never had a delco that was worth a damn... Obviously any of the GM cars I've purchased in the past came with delco's as oem...but usually after about 2 years they would start acting up and I usually went out and bought a Die Hard from Sears.. they've always lasted 4 or 5 years without fail for me... Not sure of the size of the battery that's in my car now.. it's a Toyota Avalon...will be 5 years old n ext month and still with the original battery. So far, so good
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

bes2767

#19 Post by bes2767 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:10 am

If you want the best look for batteries manufactured by East Penn. There are only a couple of manufacturers out there and I have been using this brand (I purchase them direct for resale) on automatic standby generators (I am a Generac Dealer), and this brand holds up where others fail after first couple of years. Think about it, in our area, the battery is inside of a metal compartment, subjected to summer temps over 100 degrees, and winter temps hitting -30F. We use cranking batteries, and the same batteries I have used in our pontoon boats with no issues. In the fall, I put a full charge on the battery, and disconnect the positive lead leaving the battery in the boat for winter storage. Next spring, we hook up the positive, give it a fresh charge, and we are ready to go.
I have seen these batterys last 7 years, although, we normally replace them every 4 years for generators as they are for emergency backup, and can not afford to wait for them to fail when needed.
This company private labels their batteries for hundreds of retail outlets, you very well may have an east penn battery now. I think the only sure way is to ask to see the MSDS sheet from the store for the battery.
http://www.dekabatteries.com/
Marine battery info: http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0181.pdf
2011 Playcraft 2300 w 250hp Verado Pro
Our Live Rivercam: http://www.iowaponds.com/rivercam.htm

GregF

#20 Post by GregF » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:00 am

Why do you think marine service is worse than being in a car. It is certainly hotter under the hood of my car than it is under the console of my boat. Cold is cold. Most people bring their boat batteries inside in the winter. You car is just out there.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha