Super Slick Bunk strips

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

fredeboy

Super Slick Bunk strips

#1 Post by fredeboy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:08 am

http://www.superslide.com/bispecials.php#blueiron
I found this web site that supplies the UHPE bed liners for dump trucks. They have a Aug. special on a lot of strips of different widths and lengths and thickness of material. It is UV stable and has 2% silicone added for additional slickness. I bought the 1/2" x 3" x 10 ft for $15 a strip. Seems like a good price compared to other sites I have seen. They cut them to 5 ft lenth no charge so they could send UPS and save me some freight. Seem like nice folks to deal with. Will post pics of my install after I get back from 2 weeks in beatiful St Martin. Hope the heat will let up some by then cause the last 6 weeks have been BRUTAL here in Texas. :nana

Bamaman

Re: Super Slick Bunk strips

#2 Post by Bamaman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:27 pm

The prices appear great, and they look like they'll do the job.

But, every time I put something the the back of my utility trailer, it seems to disappear. Last year, I lost two 4x8 sheets of MDF--never to be found.

Then a 500 pound gun safe (in its box) slid off my trailer onto a 4 lane highway. By the time I got to my next stop, I noticed it was gone. I don't how I ever got it back in the trailer with the help of a bystander. I certainly tied it down better second time round.

Last month, my Foreman 450 was sitting in the middle of an intersection after the rope holding to the trailer broke.

I prefer to use carpet on boat bunks that has a little grip to it. I'd hate to look back and be missing my pontoon boat--with my luck.

My hopped up diesel pickup is just so dang quick coming off a traffic light, and I cannot feel anything being towed due to its 11,000 lbs. tow weight capabilities.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

lakerunner696

#3 Post by lakerunner696 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Bamaman wrote:The prices appear great, and they look like they'll do the job.

But, every time I put something the the back of my utility trailer, it seems to disappear. Last year, I lost two 4x8 sheets of MDF--never to be found.

Then a 500 pound gun safe (in its box) slid off my trailer onto a 4 lane highway. By the time I got to my next stop, I noticed it was gone. I don't how I ever got it back in the trailer with the help of a bystander. I certainly tied it down better second time round.

Last month, my Foreman 450 was sitting in the middle of an intersection after the rope holding to the trailer broke.

I prefer to use carpet on boat bunks that has a little grip to it. I'd hate to look back and be missing my pontoon boat--with my luck.

My hopped up diesel pickup is just so dang quick coming off a traffic light, and I cannot feel anything being towed due to its 11,000 lbs. tow weight capabilities.

Some one need yo invest is proper tie down straps and learn to use them :wink: :wink: :wink:
Loyd, AKA Angry Ol Bastard & Betty Meeks
Beautiful Lake Tenkiller Oklahoma
2008 F150 Lariat Super Crew
2004 Tracker Regency, 2010 Evinrude E-Tec 90
Haul Rite trailer

God bless our country, God damn it's enemy's.

blackberg

#4 Post by blackberg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:36 pm

how many sheets did you buy? used?

-bb

Ogre

#5 Post by Ogre » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:37 pm

that stuff looks like the ticket. Are you going to screw it on top of your carpeted bunks or remove the carpet first? are you planning on using SS countersunk screws?
>> Drinker with a boating problem.. <<
One Part the Fuehrer, One Part the Pope...

2006 Voyager Express Ultra Cruise 25'
200 HP Honda

fredeboy

#6 Post by fredeboy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:10 pm

I bought 10 ea at 10 feet. It is new material.

I am replacing my bunk boards and will place these on 2x4 treated without carpet.
Will counter sink SS Screws.

chill'nthemost

#7 Post by chill'nthemost » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 pm

fredeboy wrote:I bought 10 ea at 10 feet. It is new material.

I am replacing my bunk boards and will place these on 2x4 treated without carpet.
Will counter sink SS Screws.

Don't use treated....ever it will react to the aluminum. I've had great luck with these caps. They have grooves so they're not so slick

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5915&hilit=+bunks&p=39241#p39241
1998 Sun Tracker Party Barge 25ft, stern drive 3.0 Chevy
Unfortunate member Parent's of Murdered Children

I love my country, it's the government I fear

fredeboy

#8 Post by fredeboy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:40 am

Since I am covering the boards with the 1/2" strips I would not think the treated would be a issue but I will check into it more. Thanks for the heads up :scared

yellowk9

#9 Post by yellowk9 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:45 pm

I have treated bunks with carpet. I too was told this would lead to corrosion so I added some slick strips to the the bunks. They provide 1/2 inch of separation (like yours) between the toons and the bunks. I would think that's fine. I've had aluminum boats on treated bunks for over a decade and never had an issue, but I guess it's better safe than sorry. Probably much more of an issue in salt water environments. Also, newer treated wood is supposed to be different than older treated wood (new stuff has copper).
2002 Sweetwater 20RE
2002 90 HP Suzuki 4-Stroke

fredeboy

#10 Post by fredeboy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:40 am

I ordered strips on Friday and they arrived yesterday. Very fast service from Mich. to Tx. The strips are great quality. Very slick on one side and kinda of sandpaper finish on the other. I think this is going to work very well just soon as the heat breaks.

RonKMiller

#11 Post by RonKMiller » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:42 pm

I bought a case (12) of food grade silicone spray cans for $60.00 at a local restaurant supply house. It takes exactly one can to coat my carpeted 28 feet long tritoon bunks and makes them as slick as snot. It lasts for several launches/retrievals before needing a new coat which takes all of five minutes.

Probably an "inelegant solution" but it works incredibly well... :wink:

chill'nthemost

#12 Post by chill'nthemost » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:37 pm

RonKMiller wrote:I bought a case (12) of food grade silicone spray cans for $60.00 at a local restaurant supply house. It takes exactly one can to coat my carpeted 28 feet long tritoon bunks and makes them as slick as snot. It lasts for several launches/retrievals before needing a new coat which takes all of five minutes.

Probably an "inelegant solution" but it works incredibly well... :wink:
and you can use it in the kitchen in your chalet too :lol3
1998 Sun Tracker Party Barge 25ft, stern drive 3.0 Chevy
Unfortunate member Parent's of Murdered Children

I love my country, it's the government I fear

RonKMiller

#13 Post by RonKMiller » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm strictly a butter flavored Pam man.

That sounded kinda' gay, huh? :gay :happy

Road Glide

#14 Post by Road Glide » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:06 pm

fredeboy wrote:I ordered strips on Friday and they arrived yesterday. Very fast service from Mich. to Tx. The strips are great quality. Very slick on one side and kinda of sandpaper finish on the other. I think this is going to work very well just soon as the heat breaks.
Fredeboy,

I've been searching for something like this. When you get them installed how bout a couple of pictures and a review. Thanks
1993 Suntracker Party Barge 24'
2006 50HP Johnson
1993 Basstracker Tandem Axle Trailer

walter

#15 Post by walter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:58 pm

I think I'd like to use something like these since my carpet looks like shit (did after 1-2 yrs) and we use a pretty shallow and flat boat ramp I could use the slip slidin action. And the price of these are nice at about half of anything else I've seen.

My only concern is when we pull from the boat ramp we have to go up a pretty steep hill :scared, I always attach the winch strap first, but I think I'd be a little puckered up :prayer each trip up that hill. Anybody have any idea how slick these are? Slicker than snot or slicker than shit on a hot tin roof?
2008 Bentley 243 Cruise "Tritoon" w/ Lifting Strakes
115 hp Merc 4-str.
Collinsville, IL.
Boat on Ky Lake