Engine height?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Tallykenj

Engine height?

#1 Post by Tallykenj » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:25 pm

I have a new boat. I've had it for about five months. I'm trying to get the best performance possible. I have been reading some information about engine heights and I'm wondering if mine is a little too low. I've read that that cativation plate should barely be above the water when on plane; it should be getting splashed but not under water. I think mine is about two inches under water. Should I raise mine a knotch or so? What are others using as a guide for measuring proper height? I hear that if I raise it too much it will impact my ability to trim the boat and it may increase cativation when underway, especially in rough water or in turns in at a high speed. I might also damage the water pump.

Thanks.

Ken
Ken
The Back Porch
Tallahassee, FL
27' 2011 Avalon Ambassador
Mercury Verado 250
Love'n every minute...and every gallon

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Engine height?

#2 Post by lakerunner » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:00 pm

I would hope dealer set it up for best overall performance. I would run it a while and be sure that if raised it won't create cavitation problems.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:23 pm

RPM's? MPH? Any prop blowout when you hit a tight turn?

Congratulations on buying such a first class boat/engine combo. With the investment you've made, you deserve to have the setup @ 100% efficiency.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Tallykenj

#4 Post by Tallykenj » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm running with a 14" prop at 6000 WOT and 37 MPH. When turn about 90 degrees on occasion in a navigational channel, I have shortly encountered blow outs whe plane with about a 5 to 10 trim angle.

Thanks for the compliment about the boat. I can't believe I spent the amount of money it cost but my family and absolutely I love it. We are on it one to two times every weekend.
Ken
The Back Porch
Tallahassee, FL
Mercury Verado 250

fwood

#5 Post by fwood » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Tallykenj wrote:I have a new boat. I've had it for about five months. I'm trying to get the best performance possible. I have been reading some information about engine heights and I'm wondering if mine is a little too low. I've read that that cativation plate should barely be above the water when on plane; it should be getting splashed but not under water. I think mine is about two inches under water. Should I raise mine a knotch or so? What are others using as a guide for measuring proper height? I hear that if I raise it too much it will impact my ability to trim the boat and it may increase cativation when underway, especially in rough water or in turns in at a high speed. I might also damage the water pump.

Thanks.

Ken
Nice boat Ken, congrats. You might check the Verado website for what is recommended for motor height. I think you will find what you have already stated and your motor is a bit low. I've heard and practice setting the motor height to have the Anti Ventilation plate be visible in the prop wash with the boat on plane and trimmed. You may also find as I have on several different boats, including my present pontoon boat, that you will need to trim down the motor some on hard aggressive turns to prevent or lessen blowout of the prop and you could also need to do the same thing sometimes in certain water conditions. You certainly do not want the motor height to be so high that is compromises water intake for cooling. Lots of information on the Verado website with photo examples.
From what you are saying, I would think that you could raise the motor one or even two holes and probably add pitch too and get more performance.
I would recommend you take some photos of the AV Plate area on plane and trimmed and contact Ken at Propgods.com I don't think you'll be sorry for doing that. Ken is very good.
This photo is how I run my Etec motor height.
2011 Manitou Oasis 24 SHP
Etec 250HO
48 mph GPS
'03 Silverado Duramax 4x4
Austin, Texas

GregF

#6 Post by GregF » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Pontoons (2 tube) are different than monohulls. You can mount the engine quite high and still get clean water to the prop. As was mentioned, the down side is that in a turn you can be starving the prop because it is in the wake of the outboard pontoon when the boat yaws

1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

GregF

#7 Post by GregF » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 pm

A fix for that might be to move the motor pod farther back ... if you have that option. You will get more squat tho.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Leisure Kraft

#8 Post by Leisure Kraft » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 am

Although I applaud you for wanting to be a part of the fix (and ready to get out there with tools in hand) I'd suggest--given the cost/newness of your rig--that you let the dealer deal with any initial configurations like this. In theory, they know what they're doing. You might be able to arrange a time when somebody there can meet you at the lake with a standard load of stuff so that they'll know the weight that you're running with. (Often, they might set everything up with just a single technician so the weight will be a few hundred pounds less.)
Michael Blankenship 931-484-2681
Leisure Kraft Pontunes - 1996 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571
http://www.LeisureKraft.com
Find us on the Pontoon Forum members map: http://www.zeemaps.com/295621/Leisure_Kraft_Pontunes

wedge542

#9 Post by wedge542 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:01 pm

ken,what prop you got on it now?
30ft party barge,225 black max,tritoon- north alabama- my faster ride 572cu alky inj mopar

Tallykenj

#10 Post by Tallykenj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:39 pm

I have a 14" Mercury SS Enertia prop. I also raised the engine a hole. Everything is finally fine. I'm able to get up to 6100 WOT and 39 MPH with just me in the boat along with nearly 40 gallons of fuel.
Ken
The Back Porch
Tallahassee, FL
Mercury Verado 250

wedge542

#11 Post by wedge542 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:19 pm

what pitch? im running a merc 225 black max 16x11p 5850rpm can you put a bigger diameter prop on yours,just asking because you can do away with the steer tab, install a plug and go bigger diameter if needed.
30ft party barge,225 black max,tritoon- north alabama- my faster ride 572cu alky inj mopar

Tallykenj

#12 Post by Tallykenj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Sorry, I meant to say the pitch is 14. I'm not sure of the diameter. I'll have to check the box the prop came in. I'm also not aware of any other options. According to Merc, this is the lowest pitch prop recommended for my engine. Sorry I don't have more info for you.
Ken
The Back Porch
Tallahassee, FL
Mercury Verado 250