new pontoon opinions and options

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Kbirdjr

Re: new pontoon opinions and options

#16 Post by Kbirdjr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:31 am

We haven't gotten serious enough about buying it yet to even make an attempt at negotiation. I want to be sure what I want before I try to buy one. The Sun Tracker website shows a nation wide no haggle price. I don't know if they really stick to that, but it couldn't hurt to offer less.

WILD MAN

#17 Post by WILD MAN » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Kbirdjr wrote:We haven't gotten serious enough about buying it yet to even make an attempt at negotiation. I want to be sure what I want before I try to buy one. The Sun Tracker website shows a nation wide no haggle price. I don't know if they really stick to that, but it couldn't hurt to offer less.
You can add a least 3K to that no haggle price for fees and dealer prep and anything else they can think of.
WILD MAN

2008 SOUTHBAY 822CR SUZUKI DF70
2011 BASS TRACKER 175 TF MERCURY 60
East Mississippi

Bamaman

#18 Post by Bamaman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Sun Tracker's one price nationwide pricing apparently works for them, but they'll never be the cheapest priced boat around--if you compare apples and apples. They pull you in with relatively low advertised prices, but you then find out expensive dealer prep, transportation and trailers are not included. The low price is also with an engine that's inadequate for most peoples' needs.

I prefer to let dealers compete for my business--by prices and service. I would be glad to pay a little more to my local dealer for convenience, but I am willing to drive up to 300 miles if I can really get a deal. Pontoons are relatively trouble free, and I can fix most minor problems myself in far less time than pulling it to a dealership.

Good luck in your search.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#19 Post by badmoonrising » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Kbirdjr wrote: I don't know if they really stick to that, but it couldn't hurt to offer less.
Yeah they do. I negotiated for a free mooring cover though. They do haggle on free accessories...
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Rascal

#20 Post by Rascal » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:21 pm

IF YOU CAN"T GET 25 TO 30% OFF MSRP...WALK!

I've been shopping in the last six months for a new toon in the Ft Myers area. Interested in Manitou, Priemier, Sylvan RPT and Bennington 22' all fishing 4 seat models with tri toons except in the Benny's case a Elliptical dual toon and only 3 seats. The first three with 150hp power. The Benny with 115hp max, that's all it can handle per the sales rep and it has to be a Yammi per the Ft Myers stealer dealer rules.

Belly to belly negotiation on the first two are in the 30% off MSRP range. the Manitou had a $48K MSRP and gave me a $34K price (aprx 30% off) on a first offer. I talked with one Premier dealer that is up state, they also gave me a 30% off on a Cast a Way boat with a similar MSRP. I haven't talked with a Sylvan dealer yet. Bennington is another story...

Bennington must send their sales people to "Fantasy Land" for brain washing sales courses. A salesman at the Ft Myers show would only come down to 30K on a 35K MSRP (15%) per the "Build A Boat" on the Benny net site. I asked the salesman if there was any room for negotiation at that price. He said he was only making $150. at that price (LOL).

Or...Buy a boat without the motor. Them buy the engine from Ed's Superstore in Va. A 150hp merc that the dealer wanted me to pay 14K. Sells for only 10,200 at Ed's Superstore. Have the motor shipped ($300/$500) to a Merc Dealer for rigging and warranty close to your home. And, take another $750 to 1K off the boat dealers price because he's now Not rigging it.

But, you won't have to do all this to save $. After you tell the dealer that you'll buy the boat without a motor and minus his rigging fee and minus another 14K for no engine, because your buying it from Ed's Superstore. The dealer will sing a much lower cost tune to you. All the dealers know about Ed's superstore low prices and hate him, Many dealer's have posted negative comments via Shills to discredit Ed. The Dealer will drastically cut his price to not let Ed get the motor deal... Trust me on this. Goggle the many stories of buyers that have done this. I have no affiliation with Ed of any kind shape or form or may God strike me dead!

I have been on the inside of the boat business. I have a close friend that's a pontoon dealer in MI. He said that he works on a 50% mark up. My father was a investing partner in a boat dealership years ago (I was just a kid). Dad got me a Rasoncraft 18' 427 Ford drag boat from his dealership for 50% off. He said that was not at cost. His partner still made a few bucks on my deal. So... Don't let the dealers BS you...They are still making very good money at 30% off MSRP. If the dealer won't come down, then walk and try another dealer of the same brand. A 50 to 300 mile drive could save you thousands. I'm just trying to help you sheep not get trimmed to were it bleeds...

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

playcat

#21 Post by playcat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:25 am

Rascal wrote:Or...Buy a boat without the motor. Them buy the engine from Ed's Superstore in Va. A 150hp merc that the dealer wanted me to pay 14K. Sells for only 10,200 at Ed's Superstore. Have the motor shipped ($300/$500) to a Merc Dealer for rigging and warranty close to your home. And, take another $750 to 1K off the boat dealers price because he's now Not rigging it.

All the dealers know about Ed's superstore low prices and hate him, Many dealer's have posted negative comments via Shills to discredit Ed. The Dealer will drastically cut his price to not let Ed get the motor deal... Trust me on this. Goggle the many stories of buyers that have done this. I have no affiliation with Ed of any kind shape or form or may God strike me dead!

Rascal
I have worked with Ed's Marine also...true, they offer a really good price on engines and boats. But, Merc has cut back the number of engines he can get now because other dealers complained about deals such as the one Rascal described. Besides, you can forget any kind of service from Ed's after any sale...unless you want to pay $100/hour for changing a light bulb. I don't even go there to buy parts.
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

GregF

#22 Post by GregF » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:38 pm

I think the high service costs are common with high volume discount dealers. The service shop is a profit center that beefs up the profit they are not making on the sale.
You really have to watch the "service package special". The guy here who hosed me slammed a lot of stuff in that deal that was not necessary according to the service schedule but, no doubt, a high profit item.

Make sure what you are buying and don't be afraid to shop around on these scheduled maintenance deals. You do not have to go back to the dealer you bought from. I have a small dealer I like who doesn't sell much but does a lot of service. He main business is a dry stack.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Slow Rider

#23 Post by Slow Rider » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:30 pm

We boat in Texas, mostly lake LBJ...bought our Avalon Ambassador from dealer in Granbury Tx (Carey & Sons). It is an awesome boat, we love the full teak flooring- so easy to hose off and not worry about crumbs in carpets. You should check out the Avalon brand, they have done some amazing things to pontoons. The dealer in texas was excellent, they will probably be at the dallas show since they are close by. We have a big engine and easily pull tubers. The full camper is nice when we sleep overnight...has all the creature comforts, including a head. We sure have alot of fun on it! :lol3
SLOW RIDER
Avalon Ambassador 2010
225HP , 30ft
where else but Texas!?

Kbirdjr

#24 Post by Kbirdjr » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:52 pm

It's been a few weeks since my original post, so here is an update and a few more questions. We decided to hold off on the party barge until we had seen some of the other brands at boat shows. We went to the OKC boat show this weekend and looked around some. One brand we saw that I remember looking at last year was Silver Wave. We really liked their deck layout and seating. I haven't heard much about them but I ask them a lot of questions and it seems like they build a pretty solid boat. I was asking about through bolting vs. self taping screws and they brought over this little cross section that showed the cross members they use vs. some of the others. Theirs was what they called a top hat and was through bolted, the other two examples they had were a c-channel and a z-channel. Thoughts? It seems logical to me that the top hat would be stronger but I know there are other things to consider too. In talking to them they explained that they were a fairly new pontoon boat manufacturer but they are some how related to Blue Wave bay boats. Any opinions on Silver Wave, good or bad?

We are going to the Dallas Show next weekend, hopefully we will learn alot there.