Thoughts on built-in grill(s)

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

AndrewG

Thoughts on built-in grill(s)

#1 Post by AndrewG » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:11 am

Well, after much deliberation, I decided on the Sweetwater 220DL pontoon boat (http://www.sweetwaterboats.com/boats/SW-220-DL) . I'm buying it this week. That being said, there is a fair amount of space behind the captain's chair on this boat. If you look at the photos in the link above, you'll see that they have a sink type galley installed there.

The boat I'm getting doesn't have that sink, so I'm trying to decide whether to order that same sink/galley, or get an upgraded one that has a built-in BBQ grill. I saw the threads on various thoughts on grill types, so I am just looking for any experiences or additional thoughts on having a permanent grill/galley area as opposed to a grill that you stow away when you're not using it.

This is a shot of the built-in grill/galley:
Aqua Patio Galley.jpg
Aqua Patio Galley.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 8729 times

This is a shot of the sink only galley:
SW Sink.jpg
SW Sink.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 8709 times
Last edited by AndrewG on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrtoler

Re: Thoughts on built-in grill(s)

#2 Post by Mrtoler » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:32 am

I wish I had the room for a permanet install like that, if you look at my rebuild you'll see I just got a grill for valentines day and I'll be mounting it on the toon. I'm also building the sink/ counter space and it would be cool if it was big enough to mount the grill in the counter but I just don't have the room. I'll have to mount mine over the rail!
Ryan, Martha, Ana and Nathan Toler.
(SOLD)1992 24' monark sun spa 240 1996 (rebuilt) Johnson 112
2014 South Bay chassis (IN THE WORKS)
2006 dodge ram quad cab
Crosby Texas

jrolin1

#3 Post by jrolin1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 pm

I really like that grill. We grill a fair amount on the boat and would do it more if it were that convenient.

smltooner

#4 Post by smltooner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:27 pm

AndrewG wrote:Well, after much deliberation, I decided on the Sweetwater 220DL pontoon boat (http://www.sweetwaterboats.com/boats/SW-220-DL) . I'm buying it this week. That being said, there is a fair amount of space behind the captain's chair on this boat. If you look at the photos in the link above, you'll see that they have a sink type galley installed there.

The boat I'm getting doesn't have that sink, so I'm trying to decide whether to order that same sink/galley, or get an upgraded one that has a built-in BBQ grill. I saw the threads on various thoughts on grill types, so I am just looking for any experiences or additional thoughts on having a permanent grill/galley area as opposed to a grill that you stow away when you're not using it.

Aqua Patio Galley.jpg

SW Sink.jpg
That is a sweet looking setup.
I would definately go with the grill.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Think a lot has to do with how much you intend using it. Most of the people I have talked with that have the built in sinks say they rarely use them. It looks like it would obstruct some view from the driver. Maybe not enough to make a big difference. Think I would just select an over the rail mount unless you plan to grill everytime you go out. I am sure this would be much cheaper also.
doc

heliguy

#6 Post by heliguy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Sure looks nice. I like how far forward the captains chair is. looks like a lot of fun.
Relaxin' at Lake Amistad
2011 South Bay 522 Tritoon
Mercury 115

Mrtoler

#7 Post by Mrtoler » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd have to disagree with Doc, this might be because were germ freaks and not the kinda people that bait their hook then get a cheeto from the bag....gross.....that being said we used ours every outing. I'm rebuilding my boat and I'm going back with a sink, only this time I would like to have a big tank and a 12vt pump. I'm also adding a wash down station for a lil extra cleaning power around the rear fishing area, just incase a fish comes up bloody or we need to cut up a bait fish!
2006 dodge ram quad cab
Crosby Texas

rbiederwolf

#8 Post by rbiederwolf » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 am

I would buy a stow away grill and not put anything there. I like the empty space behind the captains chair just for extra room. I have found that when you put everything under the seats it is a PITA to get at when you have people sitting there. Also I try to keep the pop up area clear for the wifes porta potty. Thus I find the space behind the captains chair great for stowage while under way and I dont have to look at the clutter.

I have not one, but two built in summer kitchen sinks at my house an I dont use either of them. Thought I would want one on the boat but after a few months of use have not needed it. I guess if I fished more it might come in handy????

As for the grill I didnt want the mess on the boat. We always cook on shore
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

Bamby

#9 Post by Bamby » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:03 am

In reviewing actual photo's of the boat you're purchasing I'm thinking I'd scrap both the sink and the grill if I were setting her up for mine. First off it is a darn nice looking boat overall but... there isn't any out of the way clear floorspace for the really necessary feature everybody must have on board the "coolers". Even if a person doesn't imbibe alcohol every day on the water requires plenty of cold liquid replenishment's and food of some sort on board for an enjoyable day on the water. And if you invite others on board for the day bring their own resources along you could have coolers for navigation hazards throughout the entire boat. Therefor I'd opt for a stowaway grill for my use for cooking, a five gallon bucket for lake-water for washing hands and maybe some waterless hand cleaner for some additional sanitation if you're concerned of the actual water quality of your chosen boating area.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Bill1031

#10 Post by Bill1031 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:43 am

Nice looking toon. Sure you will enjoy. I personally do not have a grill and really do not need one. When we boated on the river we carried a small (MyPal) charcoal grill and we would find a small area on the beach and just cook out. Now that we are on a lake we tend to either pack lunches or go to a resturant at a marinia. I also think you may find you will like that extra space for other things. When watching the video, it looks like the sink makes the walkway a little tight to the rear. So if I had to have a grill I would go with the over the rail type also. Think about possible splatters also.
One other thing I noticed and all the boats I looked at had the same issue. Some more or less than others. Throttle location. If you stand when docking because you have people sitting forward. You will find feathering the reverse a little hard to get used to. Good luck and happy boating! I am sure you will love it!
Bill & Lynn
2010 2275 RLI Bennington/ESP
150 Yamaha
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

WoodenPontoon

#11 Post by WoodenPontoon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm

I really like the look of the combination unit. You really have to determine how often you might use both the sink and grill. If you don't think it would get much use, then go for the open space. A built-in grill should prevent you from feeding hot dogs and spatulas to the fish!

I have a sink on my boat for which I have just installed the water tanks,so I haven't used it yet. I bought an over-the-side grill last year and used it several times.

I'm sure that you'll get great enjoyment from your new boat!

Good Luck,
Dan
2009 --- 22 1/2' All Wood Basement-HandCrafted Tri-Hulled Pontoon "All Spruced Up"

WILD MAN

#12 Post by WILD MAN » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:09 am

I would get a grill for sure but I like the kind that can be stowed out of the way when not in use that leaves more room for other things i.e. coolers and topless swimsuit models. This is the one I got there are nicer ones out there but I can buy several of these for what one of the nicer ones cost, and it works just fine.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4005
Attachments
IMG_20111231_135207.jpg
IMG_20111231_135207.jpg (109.49 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
WILD MAN

2008 SOUTHBAY 822CR SUZUKI DF70
2011 BASS TRACKER 175 TF MERCURY 60
East Mississippi

Bamaman

#13 Post by Bamaman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:14 am

I wouldn't want a grill sitting in what looks to be a plastic cabinet. Or, fiberglass.

When non freestanding gas grills are mounted on peoples' decks or outside kitchens, they're usually sitting on something granite or ceramic tile over "wonderboard." I don't want my grill close to anything that melts.

They make special RV gas grills and have railing mountings that hang the grill out over the water. That way, nothing greasy drops down on the carpet or floor. Unfortunately, the price to pay is losing a burger in the water from time to time.

I wouldn't mind having a microwave on board, however.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Mrtoler

#14 Post by Mrtoler » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 am

I dissagree with the above again, this is a factory instaliation with many hours of trial and error. If the grill would melt the stand they wouldn't put it there. There is also a place for the grease to run off or into a catch can....this isn't some stand somebody threw together!
2006 dodge ram quad cab
Crosby Texas

NH Tooner

#15 Post by NH Tooner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am

I would love to pick up a grill and sink stand like the one in the pic. I wish they sold them without having to buy the boat too.
AndrewG wrote:Well, after much deliberation, I decided on the Sweetwater 220DL pontoon boat (http://www.sweetwaterboats.com/boats/SW-220-DL) . I'm buying it this week. That being said, there is a fair amount of space behind the captain's chair on this boat. If you look at the photos in the link above, you'll see that they have a sink type galley installed there.

Aqua Patio Galley.jpg

SW Sink.jpg
Dave

2012 Homebuilt 28' Tritoon
225 hp Mercury

1993 24' Forester
50 hp mercury