Yamaha 115 & 150 waterpump rebuild tips..

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

IMHB

Yamaha 115 & 150 waterpump rebuild tips..

#1 Post by IMHB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:09 am

I am posting this in response to a question by lx22f/c..I hope this helps.

My son inlaw and I replaced the waterpump impellers on our pontoon boats.
Our boats are used in very clear fresh water. No salt water or silt.
Both motors are 2006 models and have never had a water pump replaced.
Mine is a 115HP with 150 hours, and his is a 150HP with 125 hours.

I did as much reading on forums about how to do it and I watched some you tube videos that really helped...

Removing the lower leg was real easy, undo all the bolts and it just slides out, we did have to pry it open with a small screwdriver to get it started. You also have to remove two ground wires by removing a nut for one, and a small zirk fitting for the other, no problem here..you also hade to cut the speedometer plastic tube on the 115HP but not on the 150HP.

Next I set the lower leg up between two saw horses and used two big C clamps to
squeeze the saw horses together, that held it real nice and was a good height to work on the pump.

I wiped off the drive shaft then removed the 4 bolts that hold the top part of the pump and slid that part up and off the drive shaft. This is a plastic cover with a
removeable SS metal liner. I inspected the metal liner and it looked good and the metal felt nice and smooth so I decided I would use it again.

Next is the part that most people talk about. It's a SS metal cup that is over, and holds the white plastic split spacer that breaks real easy if your not careful.

Here is how to remove the SS cup without any problems..
I took a 3/4" thick board about 12" long ( I used Douglas Fir) and rip off a piece that is 1" wide..now you have a 'stick' that is 12"long and 3/4" x 1"...
Take the stick and cut a piece off that is 1 1/4" inch long..make two of them.
You want to end up with, two pieces of hardwood that are about 3/4' to 1" square and 1 1/4" long.
You now have two vulcrum blocks that will be used to help you pry UP the SS metal cup.
Place the woden blocks in between the water pump impellers on opposite sides of the drive shaft. Now have a buddy on one side and you on the other side. Use medium heavy sized screwdrivers and both guys using the little wood blocks as a fulcrum, pry the SS metal cup up on opposits sides at the same time. Both of ours came straight up with just a little pressure. Underneeth is the little white plastic split spacer. On the 115 (my motor) the little white split plastic part broke, it seemed to be very brittal, I had to use a new part here, on the 150 the little white split plastic spacer was in good shape and we reused it.
I recommend that you buy this part just in case yours breaks, here is the part number.... 61A-45538-00..cost is under $4 bucks. It's the same for both motors.

Next you slide up and off the 3 SS washers that sit right on top of the impeller,
two flat washers with a waved washer in between.
Next you slide up and off the impeller.

Now you can see the bottom plate, ours were both like new, very smooth and no signs of any ware, I smeared the bottom plate with clear grease.
Next, I slid on the new impeller..( part No. 6E5-44352-01 )
Next I slid on the 3 SS washers..
Next I slid on the white plastic spacer..
Next I slid on the SS metal cup that goes down over the white plastic spacer, I did smear just a thin cover of grease inside of it. It slid all the way down over the white plastic spacer pretty easy.
Next I smeared some grease inside the SS liner and then slid it down over the impeller. It went real easy, we turned the driveshaft "CLOCKWISE" and the top went right down over the impeller. Put in the 4 bolts and put the lower leg back on the motor...If you are fairly handy with tools, you can easily do this.

Good impeller replacement to you....
Harry