Need help with Titling/Registration in Indiana

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

HoosierTOON

Need help with Titling/Registration in Indiana

#1 Post by HoosierTOON » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 am

So I purchased what I thought was a 1970's Harris Flotebote off a family member who has had it sitting in their polebarn for like 20 years. I have completely stripped it down to the toons, added new cross members, new decking, new flooring etc. I hadn't thought about it previous to this morning, but I never got a title when I bought it. When I asked my Uncle, he said he didn't have the title and that it hasn't been titled or registered since the late 70's or early 80's. When browsing the BMV site, it looks like I can apply for a lost title but need the hull#. I checked this thing up, down, left, right and sideways before work this morning and I don't see any kind of registration number stamped into the tubes or a plate, nothing.

Anyone know what my other options are in Indiana or if I can somehow title it like I built it from the ground up and it was never titled before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
David

tms0425

Re: Need help with Titling/Registration in Indiana

#2 Post by tms0425 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am

I think you can create a new title as home made, though there might need to be some kind of inspection done. I had that done for an old sailboat trailer that was so ratty you couldn't find anything on it and it's origins were unknown. I'd just call the branch and see what they say.
2013 Bennington 2275RCWL ESP w/Mercury Verado 250 Pro
Mid-America PT24T tandem trailer

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I think it's time to contact the authorities.

They can tell you exactly what to do. And don't forget to get the individual's direct phone # and name in case you have to contact him again.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

bodie

#4 Post by bodie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

In Ohio over the years I have purchased 2 boats that were from the 50"s. Before the modern H.I.N. (HULL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER). I was told by DNR (Department Natural Resources) That vessel would need a inspection and a new HIN assigned. Pretty much like a process of a homemade or lost title process. Once again in Ohio I only had to sign a paper saying I was lawful owner. In short contact local DNR in your area.. It can be a pain in the ass, but hey you are dealing with government. Good luck...
B.S.BARge
Bodie & Stefanie
Central Ohio Lakes
Alumn Creek, Buckeye Lake, Hoover Reservoir
2007 Chevy Sliverado Z71
2001 Bennington 207L, 2001 Mercury 50HP, 2001 Load Rite trailer
1967 Starcraft Nassau, Game Fisher 9.9 HP, Rusty and Trusty trailer

ToonGuy

#5 Post by ToonGuy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 am

I do 4-5 a year (just did one last week and one this week). Don't bother contacting any one you either won't get through or they won't know what to do. There is a down loadable "packet" on the BMV site, I'll PM it to you with the details...you will need TWO inspections and it takes about 3-4 weeks but you will get a paper titel with an assigned HIN.
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)