Pontoons and salt water question

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

albow

Pontoons and salt water question

#1 Post by albow » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm thinking about carrying mine when we visit Jacksonville, FL in a few weeks, to use on the St. John's river. I have read where use in salt water requires special coating or paint on the toons and don't plan to run it in the intercoastal although I would love to otherwise. I read where brackish water is considered to begin at .02% or something like that, which generally reaches downtown Jacksonville, so I plan on putting in upriver from there but wouldn't mind running through town if it's safe. Any of y'all live down that way and know where the furthest down river I can run is unprotected? Where are good places to put in or things to see upriver? Only doing day trips. Thanks.
Tahoe 24 Fish n Fun
115 4 stroke Mercury
2003 Ram 3500
Harpersville, AL

jimrs

Re: Pontoons and salt water question

#2 Post by jimrs » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:17 pm

You will be safe. Just rinse the boat off and flush the engine after your through in the salt water and everything will be fine. If your going to use it and leave it daily in the salt water then you need to get the toons painted. Have fun and enjoy.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

Ron Burgundy

#3 Post by Ron Burgundy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 am

If you get a chance to run the intercoastal do it. You boat will survive.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

albow

#4 Post by albow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:47 am

So how long does it actually take to do damage? I guess it's a corrosion type of damage that occurs, right?
Tahoe 24 Fish n Fun
115 4 stroke Mercury
2003 Ram 3500
Harpersville, AL

BobL

#5 Post by BobL » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:25 am

Here's a little trick I learned years ago.

Find a fresh water launch on your way home and back in as deep as possible and start your engine. If you have time, take the boat for a little spin.

This not only flushes your engine, it also CLEANS YOUR TRAILER. Salt water can chew a non galvanized trailer up pretty quick. Even if your trailer is galvanized, many of the parts a not.

As others have said, I would not worry about using in salt water for a few days - just do a good cleaning afterwards.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

rbiederwolf

#6 Post by rbiederwolf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:03 am

Your main concern is flushing your engine and thouroughly rinsing your trailer wheels, hubs, frame etc (Probably not galvanized).

The aluminum pontoons are not a real problem in salt if you rinse them when you are done. The bigger problem with saltwater is not really the corrosion of aluminum, but the growth of barnacles. Those who leave their boat in saltwater regularly will begin to see barnacle growth within a couple of days. The bottom paint makes it more difficult for the little suckers to attach.

Most corrosion of aluminum in salt is from electrolysis. This is caused by stray electrical currents in the water. Usually from other boats. Thus if you are in salt for any length of time you want to make sure that you have the proper zincs. Check you engine to see that it has zincs in place. I think all engine these days have them regardless where they are used. I know my boat was bought used from Georgia and it had zics on the engine.

Sorry to be so long wided, but just want you to feel comfortable about using your boat in saltwater.
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

albow

#7 Post by albow » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:29 am

Thanks, BobL. I kinda had already thought about that trick, seems neat. And rbiederwolf, hope you enjoy your new upgrade.
Tahoe 24 Fish n Fun
115 4 stroke Mercury
2003 Ram 3500
Harpersville, AL

big johnson

#8 Post by big johnson » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 pm

albow, you will be fine here in jax. i run the river and intercoastal in mine all the time ( pretty much all we have ) not sure where your going but you can dock up at the landing downtown on the north bank for food and music and some shopping as well , also if you want to visit the jax. zoo there is no admission charge if you arrive by boat, they have a very nice dock to use for free as well.. south of downtown about 20 minutes or so by water is the naval air station and you can hang out there off the run way and watch some of the planes come and go .. esp. cool at night.. and due east of the naval base is goodsby creek with a very nice ramp to launch ( 24 hr. ) with a hooter's rest. with docking available.. just as everyone suggested rinse and flush boat motor and trailer as you can during your visit.. have a great stay and will look for you on the H20..