got grounded

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

got grounded

#1 Post by ROLAND » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:20 am

Me and the wife took the toon out sunday afternoon to do a little fishing... well, the lake level isn't as bad as it was this time last year, but it is down considerably... anyway we were trying to get up under some trees for shade and the water went from about 4 1/2 feet to under 2 feet when we got up under the tree... no problem, slowly pulled in, tied up and fished for a couple of hours... but when it came time to leave, holy sh%&.....couldn't move the boat, my wife had untied the front end of the boat, I pulled up the anchors on the back and when I tried to ease on out, nothing... motor was running, but boat wasn't moving...somehow, not sure how, we had gotten stuck.. After 10 minutes or so of trying to manuever the boat out we ended up just using oar boat paddles to push off trees and the lake bottom... took us another 15 minutes to get out...It confuses me 'cause we didn't bump or feel like we were grounded when we pulled in.... and we didn't move the boat til we were ready to leave, yet somehow, someway, my little toon was stuck.... Ok, I know the water wasn't deep, but it's a very soft muddy bottom and I was pretty sure I'd lose my shoes in the muck so that was my last resort.... btw, checked the toons and prop out when we got back on the trailer, everything seems ok...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

fredeboy

Re: got grounded

#2 Post by fredeboy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 am

The big fish she caught added more weight and sunk you in the mud! :lol3

Bryden24shp

#3 Post by Bryden24shp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:58 am

Wow, that doesn't sound like much fun. I bet you were pretty surprised! Glad no damage was done. We beached the pontoon a few weeks ago, on a nice sandy beach we go to. They dropped the water at Lock 14 and we were stuck pretty good. Couldn't pull or push the boat off. Had to fire it up, stick it in reverse and saw the steering wheel right to left to zig zag it off the beach. A few of the big cruisers had to be pulled off. Love the Army Corps of Engineers, when they do stuff un-announced.
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

pontchartraintoon

#4 Post by pontchartraintoon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am

Roland, I find the opposite happens to me. I don't catch anything, and drink a bunch of beer which then ends up over the side. The boat is always getting lighter.

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#5 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:51 pm

I was out on the Bohemia last month and we had an unusually low low tide. I'm sitting there chatting away and notice there's a lot more beach than normal :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I was sitting in a foot of water. Just pulled my anchor rope and the boat moved into deeper water.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Liquid Asset

#6 Post by Liquid Asset » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:49 pm

I find that when I am hung up on the beach everyone wants to run to the front to see why. I'm not racist but it's then that I send everyone to the back of the boat. This usually gets enough pressue off the bow to float it off with the motor. I'm glad to hear you were able to get loose with no damage. I know it's stressfull when things don't go as planned. Last time I was worried about getting stuck I was letting my buddy fish off of my boat. Needless to say that was water I didn't want to jump into so I could push off. I try not to fish becasue I like the water that the fish don't care for L.O.L.

, shaun
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

belercous

#7 Post by belercous » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Trim full down. Everyone to the back. Hammer it. Sometimes it takes a body up front to & push back. Never got stuck, even with the front 9' totally out of the water.
1994 Party Cruiser 32'
115 Mercury O/B
Restored & upgraded