Comparison of Price and Trim Levels

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jford814

Comparison of Price and Trim Levels

#1 Post by jford814 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:07 am

Still searching for a tritoon.

Started to take a look at the Bennington with the twin eliptical as I like the straight line performance and may not benefit as much from the handling of the ESP package given the area where I will be boating. Got a quote on a 2275 RL....$46,000! Had a few options: vinyl deck, sealed strakes, rough water package, hydraulic stearing, waveshiled, ski pole and Yahmaha 150...but still, $46K? I am sure there is a bit of room there but the MSRP is $54,000 so not sure how much.

Also looking at Manitou with VP (Oasis level) with similar setup that can be had for low $30's.

Is the RL much nicer than the Oasis? It would be nice to be able to see all the trim levels of the big 4 but I have no idea where to do that let alone test drive these things. It's disconcerting to think about spending as much as I would on a loaded Ford car w/o the ability to compare boats more thoroughly.

Is there some sort of chart (longshot I know) that lines up and cross references the different lines within the manufaturers? Are the Bennington boats that much nicer.

I know you don't see many Bennington, Manitou or Premier in the secondary market.

Thanks for any input.

Jack65K

Re: Comparison of Price and Trim Levels

#2 Post by Jack65K » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 am

I have never seen a comparison chart like you mentioned but they might be out there. I think the best way to compare is to go to a boat show where the different manufacturers will be represented and so you can go touch and feel the differences in quality and workmanship for yourself and you can prepare for what to look for by researching the boat catalogs. With just a little research ahead of time, you will be able to focus on the different items you want to check out on each model.
Good luck in your search.
Jack
2012 Bennington QCW 2575
Yamaha 250
ESP Package
Rough Water Package
Raised Helm
Bimini & Cupholder LED's
Table Rock Lake

Ron Burgundy

#3 Post by Ron Burgundy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 am

Yep, a boat show is your best bet. I went to one last month and you can get a very good feel for the boats.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:24 am

I agree about waiting for the boat shows right after Christmas. Only then can you really compare the boats, including quality of the construction, welds, etc. And prices are often much better when competitive dealers are under the same roof.

Right now, the big 4 are Bennington, Manitou, Harris and Premier. There are also a number of other brands that are right with them in quality and price--i.e. Cypress Cay, Berkshire and others. As they say, "the cream rises to the top".

My wife fell in love with the Bennington at the boat show in January, even though we were not in the market at the time. We later bought a Bennington 24' SSLX with their Express Performance tri hull with about every option. The S model is their least expensive model, and don't need anything nicer than this gorgeous boat. We are also sold on Bennington as a company, as their customer service is top notch.

I also liked the Manitou Oasis VP hull, but it's doubtful you'll touch one for the low 30's with a trailer and a 150 hp motor. Their Aurora is the same boat with lower quality seating--priced reasonably. Manitous are generally not as plush as the Bennington or Premiers, but performance is top notch. Manitou dealers are few and far apart in some parts of the country. On top end, high performance tri hulls w/250 hp, nothing will run as fast or corner with a Manitou. Most of their boats have ETEC's.

We have a Premier dealer close by, but high $ inboard boats are their main business. With low sales volumes, they cannot sell comparable tri-hulls for a fair price--selling in low $40's with trihull and 150 hp Honda. Premier boats have very plush interiors, but their dealer base again is few and far apart.

Harris is the oldest and most conservative company in the business. It's hard to get a handle on their pricing as they forbid internet price advertising. Their prices are competitive, however. And, they're first class rides.

As has been said, I seldom see any late model boats on the used market from these manufacturers. Their dealers take'em on trade, and they sell quick used for high prices.

Getting back to the Bennington with the twin elliptical hulls and lifting strakes: They're maybe 2 mph faster than my tri hull, but chances are you'll seldom use the extra speed. (I'm getting 40 mph with a 15 pitch Reliance prop.) Everyone on the used boat market is wanting tri hulls.

My suggestion: Check your budget, and multiply that by 110%. Figure out what boat fits your needs now and project out your needs for the future. Buy the biggest motor you can afford. If you're into water sports, get lifting strakes and a 115 hp or larger.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

jford814

#5 Post by jford814 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks for the replys.

I will start to look for boat shows to compare side by side.

Just Laxin

#6 Post by Just Laxin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 am

Check out the SouthBay with the Trifecta package. When comparing don't forget to compare the H.P. they offer.
2012 South Bay 522 SL TT
Merc. 150 EFI Four Stroke

bassn386

#7 Post by bassn386 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am

Don't know what you mean when you say the RL 2275 with twin ellipticals. The ESP (Elliptical Sport Package) gives you two 25" outside logs with a 32" elliptical center log.
Agree on going to the boat shows to be able to see the boat up close and personal and being able to compare quality of workmanship just by walking from one side of the exhibit hall to the other.
If the MSRP was $54k, the out the door price should be closer to $40k. I usually figure there's about a 30% difference between the two prices, but that may just be here in the midwest.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Bamaman

#8 Post by Bamaman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 am

He's talking about getting a twin toon with two 32" elliptical hulls with strakes. They'll outrun the comparable tritoons by as much as 3-4 mph, and get better fuel mileage due to less drag.

Bennington's twin elliptical boats are very buoyant and will handle heavy people loads like a tri toon, but they just don't handle as well--especially in tight turning water sports situations. Some people like a fast cruising, efficient boat hulls.

My Performance Package has a 3/4 length center toon with strakes that gives 90% of the performance of a full length hull for $1860 MSRP. Twin ellipticals with strakes are $2,259 extra and the Sport Performance (full tritoon with strakes) is $3,332. Another option is to go with strakes on the 25" toons for $688 (if the lake/river is not too wavy and the passenger loads high.)

The whole objective is to get the nose cone out of the water to minimize drag and increase cruising speeds.

The boat prices quoted at the first of this posting was for an R model, which is an ultra luxurious model. If a buyer is getting sticker shock, the S & G models have more moderate prices. My S model with the double rear facing recliner is as nice of a boat as I ever want.

bassn386

#9 Post by bassn386 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 am

Bamaman, the Q model is the top of the Bennington line.
I would suggest a triple log setup if the boat is going to be on big water or where there's lots of big boats. Everyone of my neighbors who have two log toons love riding on our boat because of the stability/performance the 32 inch center log provides.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

jford814

#10 Post by jford814 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Bamaman wrote:He's talking about getting a twin toon with two 32" elliptical hulls with strakes. They'll outrun the comparable tritoons by as much as 3-4 mph, and get better fuel mileage due to less drag.

Bennington's twin elliptical boats are very buoyant and will handle heavy people loads like a tri toon, but they just don't handle as well--especially in tight turning water sports situations. Some people like a fast cruising, efficient boat hulls.

My Performance Package has a 3/4 length center toon with strakes that gives 90% of the performance of a full length hull for $1860 MSRP. Twin ellipticals with strakes are $2,259 extra and the Sport Performance (full tritoon with strakes) is $3,332. Another option is to go with strakes on the 25" toons for $688 (if the lake/river is not too wavy and the passenger loads high.)

The whole objective is to get the nose cone out of the water to minimize drag and increase cruising speeds.

The boat prices quoted at the first of this posting was for an R model, which is an ultra luxurious model. If a buyer is getting sticker shock, the S & G models have more moderate prices. My S model with the double rear facing recliner is as nice of a boat as I ever want.
Spot on. I know that the R is more towards the top of the Bennington line. Even if you try to go around to the dealers (which is hard enough given the distances involved) most don't have much of a selection, at least in my 3 hr. radius.

I suppose a boat show is the only way to get the full picture. Given that, I don't know if a mid-lantic boat show will have a good pontoon turnout.

dockholiday

#11 Post by dockholiday » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:43 pm

You could probably get a bentley or tracker for about half that amount. Plan on purchasing another bentley in the spring. No way I can justify paying 20 to 30k more. Granted I have to slow down in the turns with the strakes on the outside but for that kind of money, I can live with it. Guess if it is your designated ski boat it would make a diff........

doc

rbiederwolf

#12 Post by rbiederwolf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Don't forget Avalon. I would put them up with any boat manf.

However if you like Bennington then find the model you like and start searching. I guarantee with enough elbow grease you can find a quality used boat. The GL model is a good option. When I was looking at Benningtons I thought the S was not plush enough, the RL was super plush but not worth the extra dollars and the GL was perfect.

Over the last year or so I have found newer (2006/2007) tritoons with 150's hp to 225's for under 25000 (no trailer usually). Most have under 400 hours and have been well kept and stored. Usually people take care of the higher dollar boats even if they do not use them much. I bet for 25 to 30000 you could have one ASAP. IMHO a lot better than a new one for 40 to 50g's

Don't be afraid to search out of your area.

Good Luck
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

Bamaman

#13 Post by Bamaman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Rick is right about Avalon. They're also first class rides.

Come to think about it, everyone's given very good advice here.

What's nice about pontoon/tritoons is that many manufacturers put out great products, and you cannot go wrong with any of the more popular brands.

I tried to buy local, but ended up driving 100 miles. Our local Tracker dealer was $4K more with his comparable Regency tritoon w/150 hp. The local Yamaha dealer carries Cypress Cay, however his best stocked unit was a 22' twin toon with a 90 hp. Come to find out that the hundreds of pontoons on our lake are predominantly 10+ years old, and few have ever been traded for more modern tritoon 4 stroke boats.

Many people now prefer nice 22-24' tritoons with lifting strakes and 115 hp or 150 hp motors. The extra 8-10 mph on top end makes them much more seaworthy.

Just Laxin

#14 Post by Just Laxin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm

Bamaman wrote: Come to think about it, everyone's given very good advice here.

What's nice about pontoon/tritoons is that many manufacturers put out great products, and you cannot go wrong with any of the more popular brands.

Many people now prefer nice 22-24' tritoons with lifting strakes and 115 hp or 150 hp motors. The extra 8-10 mph on top end makes them much more seaworthy.

Very well said and very true!
2012 South Bay 522 SL TT
Merc. 150 EFI Four Stroke