Getting bird crap stains off vinyl

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bassn386

Getting bird crap stains off vinyl

#1 Post by bassn386 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:58 am

The other day I noticed that a bird had done its business on the top of one of the seats and some of the residue had run down the back. I've tried several products, including Serious Marine Cleaner and Fantastik without success in removing the stain.
Anyone had any success with other cleaners? The upholstery is tan and the stain is a greenish color.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Ron Burgundy

Re: Getting bird crap stains off vinyl

#2 Post by Ron Burgundy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Magic Eraser works pretty good.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Try Magic Eraser, or Awesome (avail. at Dollar General) or Zep Orange Degreaser (avail. at Home Depot.)

Even worse than birds are spider droppings on Ivory vinyl. Our boat is kept in a boathouse, and we're having to make slipcovers for all upholstery to protect it from spiders in the ceiling.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

evinrude2stroke

#4 Post by evinrude2stroke » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:14 pm

I use Simple Green. Works pretty good. Spray it on and let it sit for a couple minutes.
I remember my Marina warning me against using Fantasik for some reason. It does something to the vinyl or the aluminum railing if over spray gets on it. Not sure which one but just took their advice and never used it.
Dave

2016 Manitou 20' w/ 90 E-Tec Pontoon Series

Bamby

#5 Post by Bamby » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Bamaman wrote:Try Magic Eraser, or Awesome (avail. at Dollar General) or Zep Orange Degreaser (avail. at Home Depot.)

Even worse than birds are spider droppings on Ivory vinyl. Our boat is kept in a boathouse, and we're having to make slipcovers for all upholstery to protect it from spiders in the ceiling.
We key word "Had" a huge problem with spiders ourselves. Our boat was plastered with spider dodo along with the associated spiders. Read on another forum about a product called "Bifen IT" and how good it worked on various "Insect Pests" including spiders. Well all I can say is it is the death of spiders. One treatment and the only evident spiders were the good one, meaning dead. One followup lighter treatment and a summer free of the damn spiders. :nana
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#6 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:28 pm

evinrude2stroke wrote:I use Simple Green. Works pretty good. Spray it on and let it sit for a couple minutes.

Seconded..Simple Green also removes black streaks better than any black streak remover product. That and a Magic Eraser, haven't found a stain the combination didn't remove.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

bassn386

#7 Post by bassn386 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks, everyone! The Admiral uses magic erasers everywhere and I forgot about them.
I'll get a bottle of Simple Green and try that too.
Bamby, where did you get the Bifen IT you mentioned? We have a terrible problem with spiders and we even have the dock professionally treated 3 times a year.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

dockholiday

#8 Post by dockholiday » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:06 am

Man it has some fantistic reviews. One of the reviews said it was generic for talstar.Bought something at HD that was rated high an did work but at 12 bucks or so a can not that economical unless you only need to treat a small area. Here is a link to a place I have bought chemicals near my old house, even if you don't order from them, it gives the name of what pesticide to use for different pests. Just click on the second link.
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/main.html

doc

Bamaman

#9 Post by Bamaman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 am

Doc:

I see you've also discovered Bugspray.com (Stone Mtn, GA) to get rid of anything that needs to go, including spiders and snakes. He's an old pest control man that got tired of crawling under houses and started a retail store and mail order termicide/pesticide sales. He writes long essays on critters, and he's addressing about 150 different animals, bugs and pests.

Bugspray.com taught me everything I never wanted to know about termite control, and taught me how to treat my house for $120 and 1/2 day time--saving $1200+ over using a pest control company that's more of an insurance company than a critter ridder.

I spent $70 for Suspend SC for spider control, and I still have some on hand. I'll mix up a batch and see if I can head off these little critters before the Spring.

But, I'm still going to get some matching Surlast canvas and fabricate covers for my seats. Although the boat hangs in a boathouse under cover, the factory cover is a big hassle to snap on.

Bamby

#10 Post by Bamby » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:09 pm

bassn386 wrote: Bamby, where did you get the Bifen IT you mentioned? We have a terrible problem with spiders and we even have the dock professionally treated 3 times a year.
I got mine online from Do-It-Yourself Pest Control. Where I got turned onto it was a thread on "The Hull Truth" about Mosquito Control which we were also having an issue with. Anyway when I looked into the Bifen IT I found it was also good for spiders and an extensive list of other pests including spiders and it was then a no-brain er as far as acquiring some. Here's some threads from The Hull Truth of mostly customer endorsements of Bifen.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

dockholiday

#11 Post by dockholiday » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Bamaman wrote:Doc:

I see you've also discovered Bugspray.com (Stone Mtn, GA) to get rid of anything that needs to go, including spiders and snakes. He's an old pest control man that got tired of crawling under houses and started a retail store and mail order termicide/pesticide sales. He writes long essays on critters, and he's addressing about 150 different animals, bugs and pests.

Bugspray.com taught me everything I never wanted to know about termite control, and taught me how to treat my house for $120 and 1/2 day time--saving $1200+ over using a pest control company that's more of an insurance company than a critter ridder.

I spent $70 for Suspend SC for spider control, and I still have some on hand. I'll mix up a batch and see if I can head off these little critters before the Spring.

But, I'm still going to get some matching Surlast canvas and fabricate covers for my seats. Although the boat hangs in a boathouse under cover, the factory cover is a big hassle to snap on.

Yep the place was a mile or so from the old house. I was having war with carpenter bees so I stopped in and he gave me the low down. It took care of them fairly quickly and actually killed three or four just applying what he suggested. If you see something that look like bumble bees in the spring an have a wood deck better start checking for holes. I won't have any critter boring holes or eating my house even if I have to get the shotgun out. Almost did that with the carpenter bees

doc

Bamaman

#12 Post by Bamaman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Doc: Carpenter bees are bad news. You have to spray a powder into their holes and it gets all over the hair on their fat bodies. You then have to put a tapered cork that goes in the hole. Most people that see them think they're bumble bees, but they're usually destructive carpenter bees.

The worse critter Bugspray.com helped me get rid of was carpenter ants. They are like termites on steriods. But they only eat deteriorating, rotting wood in dying trees--not new wood in house walls.

Too bad Bugspray.com cannot tell get the pinhead stains off my ivory seats on the new Bennington. So far, I've found nothing that'll remove the small stains. Best action is just to get the seats covered, kill the spiders with Suspend SC and get active next Spring with the round bug brushes on a long pole to take down any webs.