Ok...pics of my new home made bunk guide system..I hope!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ezgoing

Re: Ok...pics of my new home made bunk guide system..I hope!

#31 Post by Ezgoing » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:44 am

old jim wrote:I need them there things in my slip. :biggrin2
It would be nice. :)

Slow and easy seems to work most of the time but when the wind kicks up it can become slow and not so easy. :) And I have been told the wind gets quite bad on Joe Pool during the winter months. :(

I'm thinking about hooking up a power winch with remote on the dock where I can hook it up and pull it in instead of drive it in. :)

Ryan1

Re: Ok...pics of my new home made bunk guide system..I hope!

#32 Post by Ryan1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:54 am

fiddlebick wrote:Ryan here is what I measured on the trailer guides: On the front supports I used a 20" length of 2 in. square tubing for the upright and 10" piece for the foot which when butted and welded to the upright makes a 12" foot mount. The brace is about 12" and I fit it to an angle that looked good to me. I used 1x1x1/8 square tubing for these.

The rear support dimensions are: upright 30" foot 11 1/2" butted and welded made it 13 1/2 total length of the foot.

The mounting tabs are 2x4 x 1/4" predrilled before welding them on of course. They bowed very slightly when I tightened them down, I
could have used 3/8" stock, but they are still just fine.

Where the dovetails are in the back I actually used some scrap 3/8 flat bar that came off of my previous pontoon trailer. I had replaced them with some square tubing guides, and they were already bent at an acceptable angle. I just drilled them to accept the boards and welded them in place. Don't use anything thinner in my opinion, and I am keeping an eye on them as my wife loads to see if they are going to bend if she comes in a little hard. I can always reinforce them if needed.

I used all galvanized hardware to mount. The 2x6's are 10 footers, and the setup is mounted at the crossmembers at a span of 9'.
Now when I fit it up, I just mounted a board with one bolt on the front guide,roughly in the "center of the toon" then swiveled it up at the rear brace till it looked about right, and c-clamped it in place. Grabbed a lawn chair, sat down and drank a beer, which allowed me to ponder the placement. Now I built this with the boat on the trailer of course, which allowed me to leave several inches of clearance where needed at the transom pan and bottom of the boat, although it is a little cramped when working under there...but I had no choice. The dovetail short boards are about 18 inches long I think, I didnt' measure them before I put the boat away.
I tried to give as much detail as I could....oh and I welded blanks on the ends of the tubing to keep water out of them and give a more finished look. I bought indoor/outdoor carpet for the bunk guide boards, borrowed a stapler from my best friend, and watched a video on youtube to learn how to recarpet the boards...I think it was titled "boat trailer restoration" or something like that.

So far it has worked well on the ramp at the Ohio, and Rough River lake in Kentucky, and even at a steep ramp we use at another lake, I just back down till the dove tails are in place on top of the water, then back in a little further after she gets the beast started on the trailer.
One other thing, those guides can be an inch or so different in height according to your trailer setup and your toon diameters I would think. Hope this helps anyone, sorry I don't know the exact angle of the guides, but you can always redo something that ain't quite right...thats why God made grinders and cutoff wheels!
Plenty of Info, Thanks a Million
Ryan
1992 21' Vibo DLX with 40hp oil injected Merc Mariner