Boat lift up or down when out?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Oldboater

Boat lift up or down when out?

#1 Post by Oldboater » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Boat is on a lift in Ocean City, MD. In the Bay, there is a lot of boat traffic and waves.

A boat lift repairman told me to raise lift out of water when out. The Condo Association recommends leaving lift down, up to 12 hours while out.

I have a wireless remote, so it is easy to put lift up. This is what I have been doing.

Any comments? What would be advantages of leaving it down?
2010 Starcraft Limited 226 RE CR (22 foot)
90 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke
Ocean City, Maryland

Bryden24shp

Re: Boat lift up or down when out?

#2 Post by Bryden24shp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:29 pm

At the Lake of the Ozarks, they are always lifted when not in use. For 2 reasons, when the lake is busy its rough, and when the lifts are submerged, the slips take more of a beating and there are alot of "dockfockers" that will put thier boat into any open slip they can find when the lake is real busy and open slips are unavailabe. Nthing pisses ya off more, than coming home to find someone in your slip. I have seen some boats pushed out to float away by some really pissed slip owners, in our complex. I had one in mine a few years ago nice enough to pull it around to an open transient slip. I put a chain on the open end of my slip to keep them the hell out. We have one guy that lowers his chain far enough into the water to snag between the boat and lower unit. Locking the boat in, until the State Police come and ticket the offending boat. I'm not that gutsy.
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I would leave it up out of the water
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

OK Toon

#4 Post by OK Toon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Definitely leave the lift up - especially if you have a remote to control it from the water. As mentioned, the dock takes a real beating when its rough and the lift is down.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula