Transom Saver

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

megawatt

Transom Saver

#1 Post by megawatt » Fri May 08, 2015 5:05 am

Does anyone use a transom saver attachment when trailering their toons? What is the optimum position to tilt the outboard once you get underway on the road? Seems like it could put undue stress on transom.
Richland-Chambers Reservoir, North Texas
2005 Harris FloteBote SuperSunliner 23' Tri-toon
Honda BF150
MinnKota PowerDrive V2 trolling motor w/i-Pilot

RcgTexas

Re: Transom Saver

#2 Post by RcgTexas » Fri May 08, 2015 6:34 am

Never used one on the toon.(No place to put one on my trailer back there) My motor has good road clearance with the motor timed all the way thru the trim ram range and I let it down on the trim rams. (All the weight would be on the trim rams) Hope that makes sense to you.
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

Bryden24shp

#3 Post by Bryden24shp » Fri May 08, 2015 9:42 am

After having welds crack on my transom from towing... Yep, religiously!
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

Waterlogged

#4 Post by Waterlogged » Fri May 08, 2015 1:01 pm

The transom saver removes stress from the transom and transfers it to the trailer. It also eases stress on the trim system if the motor needs to be trimmed up for clearance.

Glenn
2008 SunTracker Regency Party Barge 22 with lifting strakes
2008 Mercury 115 4 stroke

Drifter

#5 Post by Drifter » Fri May 08, 2015 6:36 pm

When we purchased our Sun Tracker the transom saver came with boat and dealer said to use it. On my friends G 3 they (g3) said it wasn't needed. He has had the transom replaced 3 times but G3 says its not from trailering. Go figure.
2015 Sun Tracker 24 XP3 fishing barge

RcgTexas

#6 Post by RcgTexas » Fri May 08, 2015 6:44 pm

I understand what you all are saying but I have not experienced it with my boat and really don't have an anchor spot for one. Time will tell.
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

ROLAND

#7 Post by ROLAND » Sat May 09, 2015 1:44 am

this is one of those " it's been debated forever" topics... The dealership where I bought my benny told me a TS wasn't needed... but I actually called Bennington a few years back and asked about this... The reply I got was if you don't have sufficient road clearance then you should use some sort of transom saver... Personally, I have not used one and I always tow with my motor all the way down... but it should be noted I only tow about 8 to 10 miles one way and it's on a smooth road.... I also checked the owners manual for my yamaha outboard and this is what it said about towing...

If the outboard motor
cannot be trailered in the normal running
position, use an additional support
device to secure it in the tilt position.

The other side of this argument : I've heard and read some say if you use a transom saver, then every bump and pot hole you hit while towing transfers that jolt from your trailer to you lower unit.... and the debate continues....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

kryptonite

#8 Post by kryptonite » Sat May 09, 2015 7:48 am

ROLAND wrote:The other side of this argument : I've heard and read some say if you use a transom saver, then every bump and pot hole you hit while towing transfers that jolt from your trailer to you lower unit.... and the debate continues....
If the boat is properly secured to the trailer, everything will move as one unit.
2008 22' Tahoe Vista Elite Merc 75hp 4 stroke

Bryden24shp

#9 Post by Bryden24shp » Sat May 09, 2015 11:28 am

See this post to see more.... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18797
Its of good photos of my cracked transom to show you why I use one...
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

lorisuemiller

#10 Post by lorisuemiller » Sat May 09, 2015 4:35 pm

When my husband and I picked up our boat in Georgia for the drive to Indiana, we used a transom saver. Here's what we found . . . the transom saver only locks into place in a few places, so you need to trim the motor down to the point where the transom saver will be nice and tight. We used a bungee across the back of the motor and a bungee to secure the bottom of the transom saver to the trailer. Ours has small holes on either side of the bottom for metal bungee ends to hook to. It worked brilliantly, and the motor didn't move at all for the 600-mile run.
2011 Ford F150 Supercrew
2005 JC Suntoon 23TT with Honda 150hp
**Thrilled to own our first boat**