STRUCTUAL FAILURE

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

BobL

Re: STRUCTUAL FAILURE

#31 Post by BobL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:04 pm

grouser wrote:Looks like your got a Monday or Friday boat....
I am leaning toward this.

Comments/questions (thinking out loud):

1 - I wonder if the channel was bent or starting to separate at the factory then they installed the shims (surprised as the shims and I don't think they should be there)?

2 - if #1 is yes, then fatigue was present when you got the boat and stress ripped the channel?

3 - Also looks like the channel around the bolt is ripping as well.

Frankly, I am surprised that Tracker is not claiming that happened after it left the factory as cant imagine the QC department would have allowed it to ship in that condition.

Also, have you asked for a loaner boat for during the repair? Can't hurt to ask.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

curtiscapk

#32 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:09 pm

ToonGuy wrote:
rancherlee wrote:wow, never seen a channel rip like that, I would have expected the bolts to rip out before the channel gave way like that. Only thing I could think of that would cause that is pulling it down a bumpy road with the motor tilted up and no transom saver. I've seen quite a few pontoons with cracked transoms or a BENT rear channel from not using a transom saver while having the motor tilted up. Also, are those spacers from the factory? Seems like way too many spacers to me for mounting something/anything on a Pontoon boat.
I know a lot of people here us support and/or have their fav methods of towing, but most people tow with no transom saver at all and I have never seen or heard of this type of failure. Those shims look jenkey as hell too...what's going on there? I'm guessing something is out of whack from the factory with this boat...

This!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

OldePharte

#33 Post by OldePharte » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:35 pm

HOLY CRAP!

Can I assume that the first and third photos are looking towards the bow and the second one is looking aft?

In any case, I would think that the motor pod should be bolted to every cross member. It looks like it wasn't. And shimming the pod is entirely stupid in the first place, especially if it isn't properly supported. I wonder if a previous owner needed to get the motor a little lower in the water and did the modification? I just can't imagine that setup coming out of the factory.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.

teecro

#34 Post by teecro » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:10 pm

OldePharte wrote:I wonder if a previous owner needed to get the motor a little lower in the water and did the modification? I just can't imagine that setup coming out of the factory.
Says he bought it brand new... So either ST or dealer did this?
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

willy13

#35 Post by willy13 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Take a look at the end of the aluminum channel to see if it has inside radius corners. It should have a small radius to reduce stress risers. If there is no radius there would be concentrated stresses at the corners. There are 2 types of aluminum channel. Architectural aluminum channel which has sharp inside edges and therefore is not as strong. And structural aluminum which has a small inside radius and therefore is stronger. There is a chance they used architectural aluminum.

Below is an example of architectural aluminum;
http://www.metalreference.com/10%20AL%2 ... 0Equal.htm

Below is an example of structural channel;
http://www.metalreference.com/28%20AL%2 ... 0Assoc.htm

The spacers are an odd choice, but alone should not be a problem.

MOHAVEMAN1

#36 Post by MOHAVEMAN1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:41 am

Tnx again for replys first of all motor when towing always has motor support to trailer by dealer installed for towing. Second I have a motor support rubber spacer that wraps around piston ram pin at the hydraulic trim /tilt cylinder this device very common the use of both support devices while towing shud be providing ample support. When at home motor is drop down and both devices are removed. I am not sure when or how this occurred all know is it has I do hope Tacker not only repairs problem but includes some additional supports and even a new pod if called for . Be nice also if Tracker would extend warranty at least on new factory installed parts and components . We just have wait and see what all they do. If they simply repair just the broken parts and no additional supports I am not sure I would find that except able . I have 1 one failure (plane fall out sky) I don't what another. I don't think Tracker what's this boat back to factory a Second time. I at that point would say NEW boat period. Not another lemon

Lt. Dan

#37 Post by Lt. Dan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:08 am

From the pics I can see that it is not structural aluminum and as someone already mentioned it is not bolted at every cross member. It appears that only one cross member is holding up your motor. You can see in the pics that there is a gap at the next cross member with no bolts. I can't imagine why the factory would do this.
2015 Bennington 24 SSXR triple tube with Yamaha 150
1988 Intec Island Cruiser

RcgTexas

#38 Post by RcgTexas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:05 pm

I hesitated to post about this because I could NOT see what the problem was. Now that I have seen the pics and the discussion, that scares the crap out of me!

Here is a pic of "Hat channel" that I bought to rebuild my boat. The one on the left is what I used, Its 1/4 inch on the flats and 1/8 on the verticals and it is extruded , not bent.
Attachments
HatChannels_JPG_w300h225.jpg
HatChannels_JPG_w300h225.jpg (14.87 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

MOHAVEMAN1

#39 Post by MOHAVEMAN1 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:17 am

Tnx to all for info and pics I am in the wait and see mode what Tracker will and how do to repair and replace defected parts I have asked for stronger and more structral parts and more welds and extend warranty at least on new installed parts from factory. I hope they while deck off, go ahead and install pontoon skin also we will see just how they handle this issue . Any ideas or comments or suggestions are welcome

teecro

#40 Post by teecro » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:03 pm

53POWELL wrote:... I hope they while deck off, go ahead and install pontoon skin also we will see just how they handle this issue . Any ideas or comments or suggestions are welcome
If your speaking of under skinning is it not usually installed on the lower side of the cross beams of a completed rig? The idea is to keep waves from slapping into the exposed vertical supports...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

MOHAVEMAN1

#41 Post by MOHAVEMAN1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:20 am

I am sure many people are waiting to hear and see just what Tracker Marine does to repair my pontoon boat. I assure all of you I will keep everyone posted and informed of how this repair or replacement goes. I am certainly curious as well. Tnx again to all 53 Powell

Waterlogged

#42 Post by Waterlogged » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Underskinning is attached to the underside of the horizontal cross braces under the boat to prevent waves from hitting the braces and will also prevent water coming up thru seems in the floor panels. Some, but not all will also cover vertical bracing.

Glenn
2008 SunTracker Regency Party Barge 22 with lifting strakes
2008 Mercury 115 4 stroke

MOHAVEMAN1

#43 Post by MOHAVEMAN1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:40 am

True Glen but if tracker removing entire floor down to bare cross members or even a new complete structural subfloor on top of toons, before plywood goes on that wud be time install full width and length of boat this is how i see it 53 just might underskin under the cross members when i get boat back water still will drain and wood will dry 53

MOHAVEMAN1

#44 Post by MOHAVEMAN1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:47 am

Also an earlier post i stated have always used transom saver provider by tracker and also rubber support wedge M-Y Wedge is the correct name of product If anybody interested ck it out
M-Y WEDGE.COM shud be ample support for motor and transom besides defects didnt happen it where motor hangs on transom its 2 feet in front of that under deck 53

MOHAVEMAN1

#45 Post by MOHAVEMAN1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:49 am

i meant M-Y WEDGE and Tracker supplied transom saver by tracker dealer the use of both when trailering shud be ample support 53