Purchasing 1st new pontoon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

margaritaman

Re: Purchasing 1st new pontoon

#16 Post by margaritaman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:59 am

Even after washing the boat after every use I had galvanized U bolts holding the axle springs and the springs themselves rust and fail. I don't know if they make stainless springs.
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

Reiner

#17 Post by Reiner » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Onegun wrote:
Reiner wrote:If you do opt for a trailer make sure it is a dual axle with brakes and galvanized for salt water use.
Have to disagree here Reiner. Been a saltwater guy all my life, (63 y.o.), and I've never seen a set of brakes of any kind last over 5 years around saltwater, not even stainless. And when they finally lock up is when you step on the truck's brake pedal to put it in drive and go, so you're not going anywhere.
I own the boat for a bit over a year now and don't know what happens in 5 years. But I owned two jet ski's for over 10 years and have never had a problem with corrosion on the trailer or ski's. And they were used only in salt. Maybe it is my thorough cleaning after each use with a power washer and "salt away' treatment. So far so good and my toons look the same as I bought them without any treatment of shark hide ect. It all comes down to make the extra effort to clean your investment.

Reiner
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

Onegun

#18 Post by Onegun » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:06 am

Reiner wrote:I own the boat for a bit over a year now and don't know what happens in 5 years. But I owned two jet ski's for over 10 years and have never had a problem with corrosion on the trailer or ski's. And they were used only in salt. Maybe it is my thorough cleaning after each use with a power washer and "salt away' treatment. So far so good and my toons look the same as I bought them without any treatment of shark hide ect. It all comes down to make the extra effort to clean your investment. Reiner
Reiner, I strongly suspect that your jet ski trailer had no brakes. BUT ... your meticulous "Break out the pressure washer & get it clean" mentality is damn fine advice. Secondly, thanks for the tip on Salt Away. Since it came to market in the 90's and I hadn't set foot in a dealership since `93, I was unaware of the product. Think I'll order some today. :thumbsup
Bill & Maggi - Hudson, Fl.
2013 Avalon LS 25' Party Barge
2015 Evinrude eTec 135 H.O.
2001 Ford F350 SuperDuty Lariat XLT Dually 4x4
Crewcab Longbed w/ 7.3 ltr Turbo Diesel
2004 R-Vision 30' Fifth Wheel Camper