Purchasing 1st new pontoon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

brokerdave

Purchasing 1st new pontoon

#1 Post by brokerdave » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi all, new to the board. I am doing a little research in prep for my wife & I buying our 1st pontoon. My family always had them growing up, but really haven't owned one in the last 15 years. My family were always loyal to Sun Tracker and had Party Barges of different variety over the years. It is just my wife and I, but our close friends have kids etc which will be using the boat with us. It will mostly stay in dry storage at the lake, in for the weekend, then back to dry storage when we head home. We will use it in salt water a few times a year down in the Pensacola Bay area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-We are looking for an affordable , yet nice pontoon, probably 25-35k. Would prefer to stay under 30k if possible.
-Is Sun Tracker still a good entry level toon? We have been looking at the PB 20DLX & 22DLX as options for us. We are currently leaning toward the 20 with 90 hp motor. I got a quote for it in the 25k range before adding some options.
-A friend had mentioned Bennington as a good option as well. Thoughts?
-Best treatment for the pontoons, seats, carpeting etc to keep them looking their best
-Any other tips, tricks, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
-Dave

PlaynDoc

Re: Purchasing 1st new pontoon

#2 Post by PlaynDoc » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi Dave,
Welcome aboard... I don't have a Sun Tracker, so I can't remark on that. I have a SunChaser, made by SmokerCraft. It was around $23,000.00 or so, with a 115 mercury. Increasing your HP from 90 to 115 isn't that much more expensive.
Lots of people here like Bennington, but there are less expensive models.
Best treatment for the boat? When not using it, keep it as dry as possible, and keep it out of the sun. It sounds like you've got that covered, being in dry storage. Best thing for seats - most people will say "303". I agree. Best thing for the pontoons? As soon as you get the boat from the stealership, coat the logs with Sharkhyde (however it's spelled)
Occasional salt water use is fine, as long as the entire boat gets a good rinse. I recommend putting in at Lake Seminole, at the GA/FL line, travel 100 miles to Apalachicola, then take the intercostal waterway over to Pensacola - then return, reverse route. By returning same route, you'll spend 100 miles in fresh water, to clean out all the salt!
Best thing about pontoons.. I've never seen anyone above the age of 1 year crying while riding one.
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

BobL

#3 Post by BobL » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:38 pm

A few more free suggestions......

1 - Sun Tracker boats are good BUT Bass Pro can be a major pain in the butt to deal with (both the sales and service process). Go to Sun Tracker Web site and search for dealers that are not Bass Pro. Not saying to stay away from Bass Pro but beware.

2 - Shop as many manufacturers as possible - the dealer will make/break your experience.

3 - if budget allows, upgrade to the 115 (per Playndoc)

4 - When coming home from a trip in salt water, find a fresh water launch on the way home and back in as deep as possible to flush the inside of your trailer out. While your at it, turn your motor on and give it a good flush as well.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

Reiner

#4 Post by Reiner » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:08 pm

I am very happy with my Lowe SS 210 RFL triple toon with Xl Package & 150 HP Merc. This was less than the Tracker I started looking at which actually put me on the path to get a toon. I use it 90% in salt and give it a good power wash after each use at home. I suggest a triple toon if you experience rougher water in your area, much more stable. Decision on the Lowe was mainly based on the great dealer I found in my area, my first choice was a Harris pontoon but the dealer was not up to my expectations.
Good luck with your search and welcome to the Toon Family.
Merry Christmas!
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

smltooner

#5 Post by smltooner » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Welcome to the club.
I don't think you can go wrong with a Sun Tracker, but I agree with a previous remark, look for an independent dealer and stay away from Bass Pro Shops.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:20 pm

I could write you a book on buying a first pontoon boat, but I'll keep this short and sweet.

Many experienced owners prefer 22'-24' tritoons with lifting strakes and with 150 hp. You can pull skiers and tubers, or you can cruise. That size boat is so much more seaworthy than short, twin toon boats--with top speeds approaching 40 mph. And most are in the $40K price range with a trailer.

My local Mercury dealer, Jaco Marine, is one of the largest Mercury dealers in the U.S. and he's quite unpopular with other Mercury dealers because of his extremely low prices. Boaters and fishermen come into Lawrenceburg, TN from all over the U.S. to buy boats and repower their bassboats. He also ships Mercury engines all over the country.

Jacos sells the Lowe SS210 tritoon fully equipped with the fine Mercury 150 FourStroke engine with a trailer (with brakes) for only $28,695. You won't beat that price on any pontoon boat anywhere.

I don't know where you live, but Lawrenceburg is 75 minutes south of Nashville and just over 2 hrs. above Birmingham. Its within 1 days drive of 50% of the U.S. population. In this case, you can drive a little to save a lot.

See: http://jacosmarine.com/lowe-pontoons/
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

ron nh

#7 Post by ron nh » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Wow, that price would be well worth the road trip.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

ralph

#8 Post by ralph » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Many good suggestions on this subject. If I can throw my 2 cents in...get the 27" pontoons. Much better ride, much better in snotty water.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

Gonefishing

#9 Post by Gonefishing » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Checkout south bay they make the excursion very good toon and fits your budget. I have the 2013 x23rfc real fishing center. Has 115 Yamaha plenty of seating for lounging. rFC has tackle center, live bait tank, rod holders. Also for the ladies a changing room that holds a porta potty. Sink with fresh water tank. Came with a tandem trailer and was 35,000.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

Reiner

#10 Post by Reiner » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Bamaman wrote:I could write you a book on buying a first pontoon boat, but I'll keep this short and sweet.

Many experienced owners prefer 22'-24' tritoons with lifting strakes and with 150 hp. You can pull skiers and tubers, or you can cruise. That size boat is so much more seaworthy than short, twin toon boats--with top speeds approaching 40 mph. And most are in the $40K price range with a trailer.

My local Mercury dealer, Jaco Marine, is one of the largest Mercury dealers in the U.S. and he's quite unpopular with other Mercury dealers because of his extremely low prices. Boaters and fishermen come into Lawrenceburg, TN from all over the U.S. to buy boats and repower their bassboats. He also ships Mercury engines all over the country.

Jacos sells the Lowe SS210 tritoon fully equipped with the fine Mercury 150 FourStroke engine with a trailer (with brakes) for only $28,695. You won't beat that price on any pontoon boat anywhere.

I don't know where you live, but Lawrenceburg is 75 minutes south of Nashville and just over 2 hrs. above Birmingham. Its within 1 days drive of 50% of the U.S. population. In this case, you can drive a little to save a lot.

Just change the trailer to a galvanized one because of the salt use and you're set.
2011 Tundra

RcgTexas

#11 Post by RcgTexas » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:43 am

Welcome Dave.

You have received some good advice here and all I can add is go with a tritoon and at least a 115 hp

and this is giving me boat fever.
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

brokerdave

#12 Post by brokerdave » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:50 am

Bamaman wrote:I could write you a book on buying a first pontoon boat, but I'll keep this short and sweet.

Wow that sounds like a great deal. I will definitely have to check it out. I am in Birmingham, so it would be an easy drive up and back.

Thanks everyone for the kinds words & advice. It is much appreciated.

Reiner

#13 Post by Reiner » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:56 am

If you do opt for a trailer make sure it is a dual axle with brakes and galvanized for salt water use.
2011 Tundra

jafo9

#14 Post by jafo9 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:52 am

Have you considered buying used? Pontoons typically hold up better than their fiberglass cousins so a 1-5 year old boat my be almost "new". As far as brands go, there really isn't a best or a worst. In most lines of boats you'll find different levels of nice. bennington is a good example with boats at several different price points. another example is Godfrey which markets boats under different names for their different levels, i.e., SanPan and Aqua Patio. for me, the interior layout is more important than the brand. i would rather maximize seating, so i don't like the big recliners in the front or the back. if i limited myself to one brand, i might be stuck with only one model to choose from that had the layout i wanted.

if water sports are in the plan anywhere, i'd shoot for a 150 or better and a tritoon or lifting strakes. good luck.
2003 Premier Grand Majestic 250 PTX Honda 225 OB (PTX baby!)
2002 MasterCraft X30
2007 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki SXR800
2004 Yamaha SuperJet
1989 Kawasaki 650sx
Lewis Smith Lake, Alabama

Onegun

#15 Post by Onegun » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:52 am

Reiner wrote:If you do opt for a trailer make sure it is a dual axle with brakes and galvanized for salt water use.
Have to disagree here Reiner. Been a saltwater guy all my life, (63 y.o.), and I've never seen a set of brakes of any kind last over 5 years around saltwater, not even stainless. And when they finally lock up is when you step on the truck's brake pedal to put it in drive and go, so you're not going anywhere.

Different states have different laws so you need to check, but if you can get away without them, do so. Buy a bigger truck that can stop your outfit.
Bill & Maggi - Hudson, Fl.
2013 Avalon LS 25' Party Barge
2015 Evinrude eTec 135 H.O.
2001 Ford F350 SuperDuty Lariat XLT Dually 4x4
Crewcab Longbed w/ 7.3 ltr Turbo Diesel
2004 R-Vision 30' Fifth Wheel Camper