Pontoon coating

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Xscash

Pontoon coating

#1 Post by Xscash » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Hey guys, I am looking at coating to protect the paint on my new range rover. I found a coating called Ceramic Pro. It is a coating applied to your paint that lasts up to 3 years and will stop surface scratches from damaging the paint. Its super Hydrophobic and repels dirt stopping it from sticking. I am wondering if this will work on pontoons or if anyone has tried it. Its a Nano coating. There are a lot of Nano coating on the market and I haven't looked at all of them but I thought it would be a great idea to try.

Rick
[color=#0040BF]2014 Regency 220DL with a mercury 115HP command thrust
Previous; 2011 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21 w/60HP Merc[/color]

Bamaman

Re: Pontoon coating

#2 Post by Bamaman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:19 pm

I'm aware that there are some newer Nano style paint coatings. We'd be very interested after time on how yours will perform.

But I've never known any auto paint sealant that's anything but a profit maker for car dealers.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Soonertoon

#3 Post by Soonertoon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:46 am

Snake oil comes to mind..
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake

Xscash

#4 Post by Xscash » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:48 pm

well, here is an image of the product used on an aluminum wheel. There is a local company that is a licensed installer for this brand. I'm pretty sure it isn't snake oil or the simonize of years ago! I ordered enough for my rover from the UK. we will see how it hold up.
Attachments
nano wheel.JPG
nano wheel.JPG (81.92 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
[color=#0040BF]2014 Regency 220DL with a mercury 115HP command thrust
Previous; 2011 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21 w/60HP Merc[/color]

macurry24

#5 Post by macurry24 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 am

Just had my toons cleaned and applied Ceramic Pro to help keep them cleaner longer. The expectation was that I may even see a slight increase in top end speed. But I got her back in the water and she's topping out at 36-37 at ~5600 rpms... with a 250hp yamaha on the back! Earlier this year I was running 44mph.

I can't understand how the Ceramic Pro product would have such an inverse effect... but all other variables are the same as before when I was running mid-40s... minimal weight, just me on the boat, less than half tank of fuel, clean toons, engine is performing as it's supposed to, same high end prop, etc.

I don't know what could be causing this and it's killing me!

Reiner

#6 Post by Reiner » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:06 pm

macurry24 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 am
Just had my toons cleaned and applied Ceramic Pro to help keep them cleaner longer. The expectation was that I may even see a slight increase in top end speed. But I got her back in the water and she's topping out at 36-37 at ~5600 rpms... with a 250hp yamaha on the back! Earlier this year I was running 44mph.

I can't understand how the Ceramic Pro product would have such an inverse effect... but all other variables are the same as before when I was running mid-40s... minimal weight, just me on the boat, less than half tank of fuel, clean toons, engine is performing as it's supposed to, same high end prop, etc.

I don't know what could be causing this and it's killing me!
A slightly rough surface creates air bubbles and reduces drag on boat hulls. You might changed that effect with your coating by having a super slick surface now.
https://www.ibtimes.com/smoother-sailin ... ps-1543935
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

riplipper

#7 Post by riplipper » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 am

[/quote]

A slightly rough surface creates air bubbles and reduces drag on boat hulls. You might changed that effect with your coating by having a super slick surface now.
https://www.ibtimes.com/smoother-sailin ... ps-1543935
[/quote]

I have heard this before, and believe it to be somewhat true, but his difference in top speed is dramatic. I think this would indicate something else is going on :donno
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

riplipper

#8 Post by riplipper » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:40 am

Tried one of the easy wipe on nano products on my truck paint........I think good wax lasts longer, but the nano stuff is really easy to re-apply.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.