Sweetwater 24’ 150 HP Question

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

COTTS4x4

Re: Sweetwater 24’ 150 HP Question

#16 Post by COTTS4x4 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:18 pm

ron nh wrote:Yea, weight distribution sounds like more BS to cover for there lack of ability.

I think weight distribution has more to do with it than you think. My buddy has a 24' tritoon that has the rear loungers on it with a 200hp, the rear loungers push his helm further forward than most boats. I have a 22' tritoon with 150hp has the traditional cruiser layout so my helm is further back and my boat will outrun his any day of the week simply because I can get more boat out of the water creating less drag. When my boat is trimmed out I can get the bow up fairly high.

BTW - Good luck getting any help from Sweetwater themselves.
Attachments
IMG_1326 (2).png
IMG_1326 (2).png (377.56 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
[b][i]
2013 Sweetwater 2286 Triple Toon
T.O.T.A.L. Package - 150 Yamaha
[/i][/b]

Ddancers

#17 Post by Ddancers » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:19 pm

End of Story I HOPE!

Well the 150 HP finally installed, and cavitation issue is gone.
I was hoping to get better WOT Speed, but the ride was so sweet by comparison I'm just glad to be done with it.
The service department claims they had it up to 33 GPS, I saw 31.8, but believe if well-trimmed 33 is likely there somewhere.
Speaking of trim I can actually effectively use it now. Had it out today, all by myself, and did some hard turns, and when I say hard, I mean it.
Anything above 25 mph is two handed and I know the Admiral could never manage it.
Anyway I turned sharply into some wakes, and did multiple max turns, and had no real detectable slippage, or cavitation.
I don't believe there was any real attempt to determine best engine height rather they went by the book.
I'm sure with some effort 36 mph would be within reach, but as I said what a sweet ride by comparison, it felt like a big cat clawing up a tree
instead of a spider trying to climb up a glass.
Trolling speed is a little faster than I'd like, but not bad.
I figure fuel consumption should be about the same because the 115hp was surely inefficient.
Anxious to see how she is with 6, or more onboard.
If the 6 person ride goes well I’m a happy man, and the fat lady can start singing.
Maybe next year if wallet permitting I’ll opt for the hydraulic steering.
Engine Yamaha LF150 (long shaft) I’m told they think Prop is Stainless Diameter: 14.5, Pitch: 13 cupped
Sweetwater 2015 - 2 - 27" Tubes
240 DF LF150 Yamaha
Lifting Strakes Cap. 15 Per.
Long Shaft 31.9 mph.

Horsepen

#18 Post by Horsepen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:00 pm

If I were you, I would be veerrryyy sure your dealer will make it right if you still have the ventilation issue. He would have to give me a sworn document stating that if this short 150 blows out he will swap it for a long shaft. I am now stuck with a 20' Sweetwater with the same problem and my motor manufacturer (Suzuki) says that if I use a leg extension, my warranty will be voided. So I implore you, be damn sure that you have an escape clause. Just in case.

Ddancers

#19 Post by Ddancers » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Horsepen wrote:If I were you, I would be veerrryyy sure your dealer will make it right if you still have the ventilation issue. He would have to give me a sworn document stating that if this short 150 blows out he will swap it for a long shaft. I am now stuck with a 20' Sweetwater with the same problem and my motor manufacturer (Suzuki) says that if I use a leg extension, my warranty will be voided. So I implore you, be damn sure that you have an escape clause. Just in case.
Thanks for the warning.
Turns out dealer went with long shaft (25 inch I believe) and a 15 3/4 13 pitch (cupped) Yamaha Salt Water II Series Prop.
Cavitation/ventilation issue gone - at least with all tests so far.
I'm sure if more time was taken to determine best height WOT would be better, but it does now claw the water like a tiger.
Just I on board 31.8 mph (GPS), expected 34 mph, but super difference in ride.
Did hard turns in chop, and no sign of cavitation/ventilation.
With 21 gallons gas and 610 pounds passenger WOT 28.2 mph and still great ride.
Hoping performs well with 8 or more on board, will know in a week or two.
I don't like the fact it cost me 4K, but I'm happy with the overall performance so far, and sure the resale value is now much better.

Having a decent ride makes me feel a whole lot better each time I take it out now.
Sweetwater 2015 - 2 - 27" Tubes
240 DF LF150 Yamaha
Lifting Strakes Cap. 15 Per.
Long Shaft 31.9 mph.