About to purchase New Harris Tritoon / 1st boat ever

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

suzukipro

Re: About to purchase New Harris Tritoon / 1st boat ever

#16 Post by suzukipro » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:53 pm

The fact that the new Solctices & Sunliners are rigged with 200's & 175's hopefully isn't sign that my choice of a 150 will be unsuitable :|

I'm hoping to get to my dealer this weekend to take a final look at the variations in my choices and make a decision and then hit the Bank.

Speaking of banking are there any preferred lenders for boaters that I should look at that for better rates, loan duration or little to no money down options. There is a local credit union I have been referred to that hopefully meets my needs, but there may also be some online lenders I should consider as well.

rancherlee

#17 Post by rancherlee » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:13 am

The Mercury 150 shines in the torque department. It has just as much, if not more, torque than all the other 150/175/200hp class Inline 4s due to its large displacement. You would need to go 200+hp V6 to gain more 0-35mph and tube pulling performance over the Mercury 150. My "little" 2.0L 140hp Suzuki only starts to struggle slinging a 4 person tube when I have 6+ people on board which is a full load on my 20', 6 + 4 on the tube.
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

ron nh

#18 Post by ron nh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:17 am

What are you getting for finance quotes? Usually credit unions are best for long term, small down options. Sometimes there the only choice depending on the economy. Sterling was best online when I was looking, but that was 2 years ago.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

suzukipro

#19 Post by suzukipro » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:13 am

[quote="ron nh"]What are you getting for finance quotes? Usually credit unions are best for long term, small down options. Sometimes there the only choice depending on the economy. Sterling was best online when I was looking, but that was 2 years ago.[/quote]

I need to get some firm numbers before I hit the bank/credit union. This also means I need to make sure I pick my options correctly so I don't have any regrets come summer. I'm hoping to have financing and approved and my boat ordered by mid Feb or sooner. I'll keep you all posted with what kind of rates I find, but if anyone has suggestions I'm listening.

zoom650

#20 Post by zoom650 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm

----- snip -------------------
[quote="suzukipro"][quote="ron nh"]What are you getting for finance quotes? Usually credit unions are best for long term, small down options. Sometimes there the only choice depending on the economy. Sterling was best online when I was looking, but that was 2 years ago.[/quote]

I need to get some firm numbers before I hit the bank/credit union. This also means I need to make sure I pick my options correctly so I don't have any regrets come summer. I'm hoping to have financing and approved and my boat ordered by mid Feb or sooner. I'll keep you all posted with what kind of rates I find, but if anyone has suggestions I'm listening.[/quote]
-----------------------------

I don't know if this helps you or not, but in 2014, I financed through my new boat dealer. 15 yr @ 4.99% with 10% down. They would have gone 20 years, but I wan't planning to carry the debt long. It was more for convenience of pulling all the numbers for the boat, warranty, insurance and financing together in one transaction.

I've also got a Verado 150. It's a fine rig for the boat. You'll have fun!
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

suzukipro

#21 Post by suzukipro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:44 am

I have a question about mid ship mooring eyes, do I need or want them on a tri toon? A co worker claims they are the u bolts underneath the decking, but my research leads to believe they are added cleats in the middle of the boat for securing the boat to the dock.

Bamby

#22 Post by Bamby » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:46 am

Personally I'd get them unless they are gouging for them. A center cleat can be real useful when rafting off with other boat. Allowing flexibility of tying off a jet ski should you want or need to, or even improvising tying off the end of a dock where there isn't actually room to dock conventionally.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

zoom650

Re:Harris mid ship mooring eyes

#23 Post by zoom650 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:27 pm

My Harris has the mid ship mooring eyes, and yes, they are U-bolts under the decking. I have not found much use for them so far.

I think an actual cleat in the same place, but above the rub rail, would be far more useful.

------------------------------------
[quote="suzukipro"]I have a question about mid ship mooring eyes, do I need or want them on a tri toon? A co worker claims they are the u bolts underneath the decking, but my research leads to believe they are added cleats in the middle of the boat for securing the boat to the dock.[/quote]
Michael and Laura

mpilot

#24 Post by mpilot » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:33 pm

[quote="suzukipro"]I have a question about mid ship mooring eyes, do I need or want them on a tri toon? A co worker claims they are the u bolts underneath the decking, but my research leads to believe they are added cleats in the middle of the boat for securing the boat to the dock.[/quote]

We have them on ours and use them. The way the cleats in our slip are situated I use it to clip spring lines to and keep the boat from moving forward or backwards in the slip. I have the two stainless clips for that and one that clips on the eye of the pontoon that allow me to throw the rest of the lines and get off the dock easily or quickly clip and secure the boat in the slip on a windy day while I cleat off the other lines.

suzukipro

Re: Re:Harris mid ship mooring eyes

#25 Post by suzukipro » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 pm

[quote="zoom650"]My Harris has the mid ship mooring eyes, and yes, they are U-bolts under the decking. I have not found much use for them so far.

I think an actual cleat in the same place, but above the rub rail, would be far more useful.

------------------------------------
[quote="suzukipro"]I have a question about mid ship mooring eyes, do I need or want them on a tri toon? A co worker claims they are the u bolts underneath the decking, but my research leads to believe they are added cleats in the middle of the boat for securing the boat to the dock.[/quote][/quote]

It's disappointing that that they are only the u bolts underneath, seems like the cleat would be a better option and better aligned with their cost to install.

zoom650

Re: Re:Harris mid ship mooring eyes

#26 Post by zoom650 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:17 am

[quote="suzukipro"]It's disappointing that that they are only the u bolts underneath, seems like the cleat would be a better option and better aligned with their cost to install.[/quote]
---------------------------------
I think a cleat amidship can be added as an Harris option. On a shorter boat, it may interfere with the port door.

My boat is a 22 so I carry lines long enough to do the job. My former fishing boat was 28 ft overall and the cleat amidship was almost necessary, especially to grab onto a pylon when no cleats were available.
Michael and Laura

suzukipro

#27 Post by suzukipro » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Also noticing that the underwater /under deck lights can be purchased and installed much cheaper than having them done at the factory!

zoom650

#28 Post by zoom650 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:01 am

[quote="suzukipro"]Also noticing that the underwater /under deck lights can be purchased and installed much cheaper than having them done at the factory![/quote]
-----------------------------------------

Harris missed their mark on accessory lighting in past years' models.

The factory underwater lights are not impressive. Flip the dash toggle switch to choose between blue or green light, but actual illumination is not what I expecting. I did not look to see if that changed for the '17 models.

Same for factory docking lights, lacking. When they say "docking" they mean in. The light is only good for 15 feet or so. Sometimes it helps on marker buoys if they have a reflective surface. Older models sure won't blind other boaters. However, 2017 models moved the lights from under the bow to molded into the fence below the bows marker lights and the ones I saw at the boat show got my attention.

Courtesy lights, including the under-couch strip lighting is good. At times I wish I'd gone with lighted cup holders. I've fumbled my drink a few times in the dark.
Michael and Laura

Mosnowman

#29 Post by Mosnowman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Love my Harris Tritoon!!

I would say buy a minimum of 150...I have a Verado 150 and it rocks. If buying again I would buy a bigger motor. The dealer put it well...you are buying a motor..the boat comes with it.

Double Bimini is the best purchase I ever made. Mine didn't come with that option so I ended up buying a second bimini from Harris and installed it myself with a few minor modifcations to make it fit. It's great when coving out..my boat is the shade boat for us old guys and kids that want out of the sun.

No regrets other than I wish I had done it earlier in life! Good luck!!!
BUSY LIVING...
2012 Harris Flotebote 240 Cruiser Tritoon
Mercury Verado 150 / Performance Package @ Rough Water Package
Columbia Mo BZLIVN
It Comes Down To a Simple Choice..Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying....

suzukipro

#30 Post by suzukipro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:08 am

Harris boats are very popular apparently, if I want to order a Harris tritoon in my desired model/color with my precise features I'll need to wait until the 2018's are released. The Factory is done taking orders for the 2017's which were just released. I may be able to find a dealer that has already ordered something close, but am afraid I'll have to go out of state to find it based on my online inventory searches and then haul it or have it delivered to WI...