Power up advise

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Brad750

Power up advise

#1 Post by Brad750 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:17 pm

My coast guard tag says the boat is rated for 140hp. It currently has a 70hp. I have a 150hp Evinrude that is on a bass boat that I am parting out. I am considering putting the 150 on my toon and selling the 70. As far as I can tell the rating is based on how much weight the transom can hold. A typical 140hp motor weights X pounds and the transom can support x pounds safely so that is how much they put on the tag. If anyone has any other info on this I would appreciate you sharing that also please.

So insurance reasons aside, would you put it on here?

Edit: This is an outboard.
2003 JC Neptoon Dolphin 24'

GXPWeasel

Re: Power up advise

#2 Post by GXPWeasel » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:47 pm

Yep, if it were me, and my boat, I'd bolt the 150 up to the boat, and be done. I wouldn't worry about the insurance part, or I'd change the sticker on the engine. :lol3

Weight between a 140 and a 150 is more than likely negligible.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

BobL

#3 Post by BobL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Really none of my business but while you say "insurance aside", they would be the first person I called because if something were to happen, the insurance company will run for the hills when the lawyers start circling.

I have heard of cases where the insurance company will accept a letter from the boat manufacturer stating the increase in HP is acceptable as the issue with most boats is the outboard weight, and the transom strength. 140 to 150 is insignificant so maybe your manufacturer would give you a letter.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

Gearbanger

#4 Post by Gearbanger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:06 pm

I'd stick it on there too.
2016 Lowe SS210 Tritoon w/ Mercury 150
2014 Ford FX2 F-150 Tow-vehicle

Brad750

#5 Post by Brad750 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:20 pm

[quote="BobL"]Really none of my business but while you say "insurance aside", they would be the first person I called because if something were to happen, the insurance company will run for the hills when the lawyers start circling.

I have heard of cases where the insurance company will accept a letter from the boat manufacturer stating the increase in HP is acceptable as the issue with most boats is the outboard weight, and the transom strength. 140 to 150 is insignificant so maybe your manufacturer would give you a letter.[/quote]

Thank you all for the input. I think I am gonna go for it sometime next month.

I guess I should have specified but I left it out for simplicity. But you're right about calling them first, and honestly that is exactly what I did. They said as long as I let them know the motor that is on the boat then I am good. They had no regulation relating to the data plate. I did some digging and the best that I can come up with is Indiana doesnt enforce the information on the data plate. A good example is I asked a CO once about people on the boat VS the data plate and he said they are only supposed to verify that I have a lifejacket onboard for each person. They dont care how many people I have on the boat.
2003 JC Neptoon Dolphin 24'

RonKMiller

#6 Post by RonKMiller » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 pm

OK, so I'll be the devil's advocate here.

When you say "Coast Guard tag" do you really mean the data plate supplied and permanently affixed to the boat by the manufacturer?

If so, I wouldn't violate it with an OBVIOUS exception: your upgrade to 150 HP right there in plain site on the cowling. If you were to undergo a Vessel Examination by an astute CG inspector he would flunk you in a New York minute - and yes, - some of them ARE that meticulous. Those are the standards by which you WILL be judged in case of an accident.

The insurance company will look for ANY "out" during an accident, especially if it concerns injuries, so I'm curious why you really don't care about them... ?? Perhaps insurance isn't required where you live.

I would obtain the average weight of a similar 140 hp motor(s) and submit it to the insurance company IN WRITING with the published weight of your motor and ask for an exception. You will probably get it since there is likely to be no difference - or if so minuscule.

Does that relieve you of liability in case of an accident?

NOPE.

The ONLY way I would do this is get a new data plate along with permission allowing it from the manufacturer - IN WRITING - then you're in the clear.

You can get a new data plate from GarzonStudio.com - just make sure you can back it up...

Bamaman

#7 Post by Bamaman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Screw it. Go with your 150 hp motor if you've got a tritoon or 2 toon w/strake.

The only concern is whether your transom is built for the same length of lower shaft.

I put a used 115 hp Yamaha bass boat motor on my 24' Starcraft, and had to load all passengers on the back bench to stop prop ventilation. But it was very fast when lightly loaded--and accelerated like a bass boat.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

RonKMiller

#8 Post by RonKMiller » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 pm

One word: Naive.

I prefer the Cambridge Dictionary definition:

"Too ready to believe someone or something, or to trust that someone’s intentions are good, esp. because of a lack of experience"

Gearbanger

#9 Post by Gearbanger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:30 am

Ok, where you boat at may vary. With that said, I have never had a run in with any game wardens, water patrol, state troopers, etc. and I don't know what a Coast Guard inspector even looks like. Any run in I've had, the last thing they are looking for is what motor I have. They want to know if you have enough life jackets for everyone, are you drinking, do you have a boating license, do you have a fishing permit, is your boat sticker up to date, etc, etc. I assume you have a 150hp 2 stroke Evinrude motor and your boat is rated for a 140hp 2 stroke motor. I'm sure the weights are the same. Put a 140hp stick on the cowl and let it ride or not. If you're worried about the extra 10hp, take it to a mechanic and detune it. More than likely the extra 10 hp is in the carburators.

Luckily the state I live in doesn't enforce those issues that much or maybe everyone I know has just been lucky.
2016 Lowe SS210 Tritoon w/ Mercury 150
2014 Ford FX2 F-150 Tow-vehicle

ron nh

#10 Post by ron nh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:05 am

I agree, There's not a fish and game officer in the country that would push you on the Issue, I don't think it would ever be mentioned but if it were you could explain the weight difference and you'd be on your way. As far as insurance, if you ok with them they will clear you, I've talked about with a progressive adjuster, Unfortunately I've talked to them a bunch recently, If you told them you were putting a 250 on it they'd tell you to go F yourself, But you're not.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

rancherlee

#11 Post by rancherlee » Thu May 04, 2017 4:48 am

Check you state laws, anything 20' and over does NOT need a capacity plate per USCG. My State, Minnesota, says 20' and Under needs one. As far as Insurance, I only run liability and they simply asked what size motor I had and the HIN number, there "records" don't show the factory HP rating for any boat I've insured.
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

evinrude2stroke

#12 Post by evinrude2stroke » Sat May 06, 2017 8:00 am

When you contacted your insurance I'm sure it was your insurance "agent" you spoke to..He will tell you what they require to insure the boat BUT if you were in an accident an insurance "investigator" would be assigned to investigate the claim. That's who would be combing over everything in and on your boat. That being said, it all depends on where You boat. If your on crowded waters with LE or CG presence and you engage in activities that may attract them :drink4 then your rolling the dice....
Honestly, I'd bolt it on and enjoy..
Dave

2016 Manitou 20' w/ 90 E-Tec Pontoon Series

diver165

#13 Post by diver165 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:26 pm

I had a friend who did this with his bass boat. The boat was rated for 150hp and came w/o a motor. He fixed it up and bought a used 175 Hp Optimax off craigslist. He rebuilt it, tweaked it, took the decals off the cowling and bought the decals off ebay for a 150hp Optimax. But only an astute observer would pick out that they were for a 150hp OptiMax Saltwater edition LOL. He said he liked the color because it matched the blue of the boat.

BTW, that boat would haul ass!

It's done. It's done every day.

slingshot

#14 Post by slingshot » Sat May 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Did you know that when outboard manufacturers make their outboards, the HP rating is allowed to be off by as much as 10 percent. for example, the Honda 135 and 150 are the exact same motor with both putting out 150 hp. Here's the site to look up your engines actual output as measured by the EPA. I was happy to know that my yamaha 150 is actually and Yamaha 160, nice.

https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-fuel ... #marine-si

PS: The engines output is measured in KW and the formula to convert KW to HP is 1KW = 1.34102HP
2007, 2570 Crest LE II
Yamaha F150

Capt Sully

#15 Post by Capt Sully » Sat May 06, 2017 8:04 pm

All about Capacity Plates

On August 1, 1973, the USCG effected a regulation, Title 33, Code of Federal Regulation, Section 183, requiring all monohull boats under 20ft. (except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats) carry a plate posting the Maximum Weight Capacity, Maximum Persons Capacity and Maximum Horsepower Ratings. Boats constructed before this date may have these items posted but may not be in compliance with CFR 183.

These capacity plates can be found near the helm. These plates are yellow with a silver/gray background. Boats that are under 20 ft. have capacity plates labeled "U.S. Coast Guard Maximum Capacities". Boats up to 26ft carry just the "Maximum Capacities" wording.

Boaters are required by law, to obey these safe loading capacities posted on these plates. In addition to the USCG approved weight, load, and horsepower capacities, NMMA Certified boats also list other standards by which they are certified which may include navigation lights, flotation, maneuverability, compartment ventilation, steering, fuel, and electrical systems. If you see the NMMA logo and the words National Marine Manufacturers Association, you can be assured that the boat meets additional industry standards above and beyond the USCG regulations.
2012 Xcurison X23C
Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke
Dual axle full bunk trailer ready to go
All pulled with Z71 4WD Silverado
Maritime mobile KD4LZL
Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
FVC USCG Auxiliary
Vietnam 66 / 67