How soon does trash subside?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

illinoid

How soon does trash subside?

#1 Post by illinoid » Sun May 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Heavy rains have caused lots of trash to be flushed out of the rivers and into the lakes this spring. Lake Norfork Ar rose 35 feet this month and has a huge amount of trash. How soon can one expect most of the trash in these lakes to be stranded on the shore? What abnormal precautions should be taken? In the past I have never really worried about hitting logs in the middle of lakes like I do on the rivers though I guess there is always some risk.
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: How soon does trash subside?

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sun May 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Wind and current are your friend
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Soonertoon

#3 Post by Soonertoon » Mon May 22, 2017 9:10 am

It can vary greatly. If you are on a Corps Lake and they are releasing water like they are in N.E. Oklahoma, it will take somewhere around 2 weeks for all the trash to be ground up thru the dam . I was on Ft Gibson yesterday which is 25 ft. above normal. They have been releasing consistently for the last month anywhere from 15k to over 100K ft. per sec .
There is virtually no trash in the lake and we tooled around quite a few areas. Of course there is always going to be a stray chuck but I would say we are 95% debris free.
If you aren't on a flood control reservoir, it all depends on current and wind to move the debris to the bank.

Best course of action right now, is use caution, scan ahead and slow down if you are concerned .
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake

curtiscapk

#4 Post by curtiscapk » Mon May 22, 2017 9:34 am

We usually just take it slow if there is drift but , My arm on Truman is known for drift. I don't think we are getting on the water this weekend. 20 ft high and our ramp is closed even the high water ramp is closed do to driftwood. Technically we could launch at another ramp but with the lake being so full it's sketchy. and only 62*

Truman Lake Flood/Facility Closure Report 19 May 2017 1500 hours

Warsaw, Mo.— Lake Level – currently 726.34 and dropping, total current release – 44,300 cfs. Forecasted rains may affect the lake’s pool.

Boat Ramps

Berry Bend and Shawnee Bend High Water Ramps are open. High water ramps may be inundated with drift wood until inflows diminish (this is still the case at Talley Bend). Osage Bluff, Sparrowfoot, Long Shoal, and Thibaut Point Ramps are now open. All other standard ramps are closed.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS